Not a stalker, just a fan: Simmo's interview summaries

BITW

Senior List
Aug 22, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Keen for a summary when it's up.

Hopefully he did give the boys a spray, no games are gimme's and last night proved that we have to keep working hard every quarter to get wins.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Okay, I'm over my initial rage, and can now sit down to do this:

- Definitely didn't feel like a win.
- We're not happy - but credit to GC for how they played and handled the night.
- We kicked ourselves out of it a little, but I thought they played better.
- You wouldn't want to just blame goalkicking but the game wasn't played on our terms and we didn't handle things how we had been in previous weeks.
- The maturity of our group is still building, and we're not quite there yet. Same with our coaches.
- It's one of those nights where we're disappointed - again, credit to GC - I thought they maintained their pressure all night.
- Asked re what didn't work: It's all linked. The way you move the ball aids defence, goalkicking - all of their goals came from turnovers and transition. We were off and they took full advantage.
- The group is growing and developing towards something we can sustain. Sometimes you need to win when you are off - so it's about handling pressure, expectations. We're really disappointed with the result of the game, but we'll learn from it.
- Asked re Sinclair injury in Q1: I thought the worst. I think we dodged a bullet, I think he's fine.
- Asked re other injuries to come out the game: Well I know bombard and a few of the board members have sustained critical liver damage after that performance - and perhaps even one or two minor concussions - which is unfortunate.*
- Everyone looked like they had a good game in terms of numbers/KPIs, but it didn't feel like us tonight. The collective wasn't on tonight.
- We had an expectation of giving it a fair shake tonight, but these things happen - look at the other results - my expectations are higher than what we produced tonight. You have to be on all the time.
- We've been up for a long time, and we have a tough run ahead of us - that's footy. This is all part of the journey. We're not satisfied today.
- Asked re next week: Totally different team, situation. We'll find out a lot. I've been really proud of the team this year - and how we respond this week is just another challenge.
- The one feeling I don't have right now is excitement. More frustration and thinking about how we can get players back on the roll we were on. We've got a massive challenge this week - the reigning premiers - I don't know the last time they lost two in a row.
- We're expecting finals pressure next week. The best teams play at a consistently high level. That's what we're aiming for. We'll find out in 7 days about how we'll respond.
- We don't have any injuries, and hopefully we'll get a couple of players back.
- Asked re Gov: He ticked a box on Friday re training this week. He might be available.
- Asked re Schofield: It was touch and go to play him. We were worried about that tall forward line - as played out in the last play of the game.

* May not have been said, but definitely did happen. :mad::mad::mad:

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Love how Simmo isn't afraid to give them a bake for underperforming

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
So, for some reason, Simmo seems to have done an interview with 3AW this morning:

- Asked re: Hawks/Freo combination: We're looking forward to the challenge. Difference between Freo/Hawks/Sydney and a side like us is the maturity of the group and they've had more time in big games than we have. It's a good learning experience for us and we can't wait.
- Asked whether Gold Coast troubled us because of their talls up forward: We were off on the weekend with all elements of our game - the intensity was down across the board - unless we provide pressure everywhere, our back 6 will be exposed.
- I thought on the weekend while we didn't convert our chances and therefore gave them a look, I think the bigger problem was the basics and intent. We didn't nail it on the weekend and we got hurt.
- Asked whether humidity was a factor in GC game: It was a bit slippery out there, sure. I just thought we didn't work as hard as GC. We've been up for a long time, but it's no excuse. We reviewed the game today and it was pretty disappointing.
- Asked if Richmond win over the hawks gives us a line of attack: Hawthorn have played the way they play for a very long time. They always have a number of options they can move the ball with. We'll take some things out of the Tigers win - but ultimately we need to focus on our own strengths and tactics more than that of the opposition.
- Hawks looked like there was a lot of pressure around their blokes. Clarko said they might have been a bit off with their hunt as well. I'm anticipating a very fired up Hawthorn.
- Asked re Gov return: We're pretty sure he'll play. His magnet is on the board already. He's been a real important part of how we move the ball.
- McGovern. UNF.*
- Asked re Selwood fitness/form: He's recovering from a difficult injury and we expect it will take the remainder of the season to come 100% right. But you still need to play well to hold your spot, so his role as sub has been a combination of form and fitness. I don't think he'll be sub this week.
- Asked re Schofield howler last week: Wasn't his greatest moment. Unfortunately there was options everywhere and he chose the wrong. The night was filled with missed opportunities and gave them lots of rebound chances. Those little errors really really hurt.
- Asked re finals/prospects: At the start of the year we were undersold a little bit, and now I think we're being oversold a little bit. We're comfortable with the balance of expectations we have internally, but it's a tough run home. We'll learn a lot about ourselves this week.
- Asked re Sinclair/Lycett rotation possibilities: "He's your boy Gerard, just behind Nic." He's earned his spot and he's kept it. On the weekend he was one of our better players. Scotty has only just got back to full strength post-injuries. But I think Callum is holding his spot right now - more than in fact.
- Asked re Barrass: Yeah I thought he's a little bit underdone as a second year player, playing on one of the best forwards in the competition on the weekend, but he learned a lot from the encounter and what he needs to work on. We've thrown him in the deep end - he's had some good moments in the last fortnight.

* May not have happened. May have been noise made by poster when hearing the news.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Sinkers' gazelle-like movement around the ground is bound to get him injured one day. I thought he was gone for sure the other night.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo on 6pr last night:

- "Told you boys" re: being worried about the suns on the previous week's interview
- We're really disappointed in the result. The result normally takes care of itself. We did a lot of things well, but not as many as the last ten weeks. We left the door open - wasn't just about conversion.
- We'll take the two points - but we believe good teams find a way. We didn't.
- Asked re poor kicking: Last year we were second in the comp for accuracy so cool your jets a little bit Karl, but we've had some patchy performance. On the weekend, it did play a factor. Had we kicked straight, we would have put a gap on the scoreboard.
- Asked re Sheed form: Dom in particular has been really consistent. He's a regular senior player. The next step for the kids is not to think about their spot in the side and think more about the team. A real bonus. We've also got blokes like Tom Barrass - second game in and on a leading forward. He'll learn a lot from that.
- Asked re Sinclair form and near-miss injury: To be honest I was straight into the issue of a second ruck. It was a heart-in-mouth but we were lucky there. He contributed really well. He's been really important player for us this year - and he's only 25 games in - we think there's upside to come.
- We think he has dodged the bullet and the scans looked okay.
- Asked re Hawks game: They're the benchmark. They're the team that tells you where you're really at. We're enjoying the ride this season - while we were disappointed on the weekend - we can't wait to take this game on.
- Asked if Simmo brought a lot of Hawthorn to WC: Interesting question. When you learn a particular way of playing, as I did at Hawthorn, you take over a lot of things and see how your list adapts. There's a lot of things I did take, but you also look at your own team's strengths and evolve past the idea of being "another Hawthorn" but there are definite similarities.
- One thing I was very deliberate about bringing over from Hawthorn is I like to put a hole in the nearest wall whenever I have a bad day.*
- Asked if the back half fell down on the weekend: Look we did lose some critical contests and some blatant turnovers which we weren't happy about - Schofield's one is an example - the standard was down. But GC also had good pressure and structure, but our ball use and condition adaptation was sub-par. Hawthorn are the best in the comp exposing weaknesses so it's a tough gig this week.
- Asked if there will be changes this week: in hindsight - 6 day break and a long trip to GC - maybe we could have injected some fresh legs. It looked like we were a little off with workrate. We'll have a look at the side this week - no big injury concerns - McGovern may come back in and some great performances from EP this weekend. We'll take a look.

* May not have happened.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo presser yesterday:

- Trained well this week. Had a good rest too. Good energy, good numbers on the track.
- We'll find out whether the intensity is up a notch from last week.
- We didn't play at our best last week - GC were very good - but we weren't good enough. However, we've moved on pretty quick.
- Asked re weather and if it affects prep: reluctant to make any structural changes because of the conditions. We'll wait until the afternoon to see how bad it is. Unless it's horrendous, we'll go into it as we would any other.
- Asked whether WC's 'style' holds up in bad weather: People are probably overplaying our style in terms of how we play the game. Lots of team play similar brands. Whether that holds up in weather and so on isn't something we really consider. We play the way we play - we think it'll hold up.
- Asked re Hawks game plan being adversely affected by weather: Hawks have been best in the comp for a long time. Foolish to think they're just a good kicking team. They're well-balanced in a lot of areas.
- Their ability to use the ball well is self-evident. Denying them possession is something every club would do to go against Hawks - and Richmond did, but every team would have had that intent.
- You'd have to ask Richmond what they did particularly. From the outside it looked like just raw pressure - but the Hawks were off a tad as well. We scout those games but we don't try and emulate Richmond, either.
- Asked if it will be a shootout: I can't predict anything. There's a lot at stake for both clubs and they'll both be hungry. We'll be combating their greater maturity and experience - but we're excited for the challenge.
- Hawk's three rucks have a great balance - be it injury or rotation - they have got a good contingent. Ceglar v Hale doesn't change much.
- Asked re: Masten injury - He's fine. He had some bone bruising two weeks ago, but he's fine.
- Asked re: Gov's health - It depends on how bad the hamstring is (how fast they come back) - I thought it was worse because of the way he left the ground and it was actually his first soft tissue injury. We were pleasantly surprised that it was a minor strain. We wanted him back last week, to be honest, so it's not like he has been rushed in. We're not pushing him.
- No doubt Gov is vital for our back half. He's a welcome return.
- Asked re Hill dropping: "Just wasn't playing well enough. He knows that." He knows what to bring - he just needs to get some form.
- Asked re McGinnity: He's a different type of player. We know what Pat brings with pressure and tenacity - and being wet might help him as well.
- Asked re McGinnity: Look it was a tough decision to bring him back. Ultimately we were swayed by the outpouring of support for the lad on the WCE Bigfooty page. Those guys are passionately behind him.*
- Asked re Hill dropping: You have to play well to hold your spot. It's a good problem to have. Ginner was playing really well and Hilly has had a couple off weeks. Not the end of the world - but play well to hold your spot.
- Asked re Barrass dropping: Unfortunate for him because Gov was returning. But he's had a great taste of it and we think it'll be a massive step forward for him. He's in the mix from here on.
- Asked if McGinnity will get a job on Birchall: He might, but there's multiple rebound options with the Hawks. We'll look at that and make that decision without telling you guys (the press)
- Asked re unsociable hawks and whether WC will go hard at them physically: It's overplayed a little bit. The press ramps this stuff up. They're just tough, hard players who don't compromise. It's hard to be intimidating these days in my view.
- It's a big game. We know that. We want to finish as high as we can - this week is part of that challenge. We're not underselling it.
- Can't say I'm confident - but I'm confident our players will play at their best and give the best opportunity to win.
- Asked re centre square dominance (and Nic - poor lad :/) - Nic has the ability to determine a game from the middle, but the Hawks are great at nullifying opposition strengths. No doubt they'll be putting time into Nic, but we're putting time into them too. There's a lot of numbers that are similar between the two clubs - interesting battle looms.
- I'm hoping the boys handle the game really well. We haven't approached it any differently. The boys are excited.
- Asked if Simmo has drawn on past experiences: You can pass it on, but to go through these games is the most important. We can't wait to play and confront the best team in the comp.
- Asked re: Hawthorn coming back from a loss and inside experience - I can draw a little bit of know-how from my time there, sure. They respond well after disappointing games - we know that's coming.
- Asked re similarity of game styles between the two clubs: I took a lot of what I learned at Hawthorn here, of course - that's a starting point, but from there you look at your own list and develop other tactics to accommodate strengths and weaknesses. We've evolved into our own side.

* May not have happened

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo 6pr on Monday night:

- Disappointing game on the weekend, but we learned a lot from it. We'll take a lot out of it.
- Asked re Gov: I would assume he'll miss multiple weeks unless it was a massive cramp.
- Asked re Lycett: He hasn't played since round 5, so to come in so late as he did, and to replace two blokes, we thought he did a really good job. He's been battling injuries and he came in and had 20 touches and 8 or 9 contested touches. Pleased for him and the club by way of the depth we have in the ruck division.
- Asked re NN return: We're not sure when he comes back. We'll find out in the next day or so. He's in Fiji at the moment and needs to arrange the funeral. We need to get the balance the right in terms of what he has to go through and managing his return. We've backed away and we defer to he and his family.
- Asked re Lecca suspension/replacement - specifically re Lamb: He's been back for 3 or 4 weeks now and kicked 10+ goals. Definitely an option for us. It's pleasing that we've got some good players playing well at EP. The depth of our list is increasing as we go.
- Asked re Freo game and whether we run taggers on the weekend: There's more than one or two targets to tag - so tagging is tough. We'll look at it for sure. Every club considers those things each week. Sometimes when you have teams with multiple options, the tagging can pull you apart. We tried it last time and it didn't work. We've evolved since then, though - so we need to continue to focus on ourselves.
- Asked re team defence in context of Hawks game: It was one of those nights with the conditions - we like to think we can score heavily ourselves, but were restricted. It wasn't pure football really - a lot of stoppages and in/under - we got done in the last four stoppages of the game. We need to improve there. We didn't hold ourselves up for long enough.
- Asked re Roughead boundary line: I don't think we can blame the loss on the incident but it was clearly out of bounds.
- Speaking of things I don't like, I especially don't care for Ochre's cheap shots in this thread.*
- Asked re Sinkers return / playing Lycett and Sinkers in tandem: We're not batting deep on the talls. We expect Callum to come back in. He wasn't quite right on the weekend - couldn't get to maximum speed and wasn't comfortable. As long as he trains on Tuesday he'll be available.

* You know he was thinking it.

Back