Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the afl are doing is the equivilant of spoiling your misses. Give her flowers all the time and it loses impact, but give her flowers once a year at the right time and it effects them greatly.

Too much of a good thing is still too much, and i fear the messages are being lost. Especially when one round you have indigenous round, then the next you have ******* "red round" for red heads. It just makes the whole "x round" thing seem like a token thing.
Red round wasn't a legitimate thing.

Red round wasn't a legitimate thing.

It had more coverage than some of the legit rounds. If only they put as much effort into the other rounds as they did to taking the piss.

That's because it's a Fox Footy thing rather than AFL. It's a cheeky response to the derpy "uhhh but they don't have men's/whites/redhead" round. They also did left-footers if I'm not mistaken. Once was enough though, surely.

11813486_10153086347981417_3433992764791010663_n.jpg

Robbie Gray's 37 disposals and a goal misses out.

Priddis lol.

****en hell, they're like bloody speed cameras...... "if we keep increasing the numbers maybe they'll start being effective eventually"
Nek minnit the AFL includes a yearly minimum quota of fines as part of their budget.

That's exactly why it's needed.
White middle class males don't like being told that they need to think of others occasionally.

It's exactly that kind of thinking that ****ed everyone off in the first place. By association with the AFL and your own standards you are a racist.

Why not discuss issues and highlight charities etc? Easy to ignore if sport is just about kicking the bag of air around or people are just interested in their club.
I think it's great that our strange (and lets face it meaningless if we are talking just the game itself) obsession can have a deep and meaningful impact on greater society.

Sport and politics should be kept separate.

Gay round? What about bisexual or transgender round?
Indigenous get their own themed round, but everyone else gets lumped into multicultural round?
So there's 9 games right...how many extra languages are they going to be broadcasting in?
Which languages are included? Which are excluded? How did they pick which ones to use and which to exclude?

See where I'm going with this?
Where does it stop?

The AFL needs to stop trying to be some sort of social justice crusader and worry about what it's meant to worry about, the bloody football.

If the AFL wanted to help charities, they'd approach every reputable charity in the country and come up with a timetable of which grounds which charity which round, and allow them to setup a small marquee or two, and have people walking the concourses raising donations. Simple.
We don't need all these "themed" rounds. Because it's never going to end.

That's exactly why it's needed.
White middle class males don't like being told that they need to think of others occasionally.

No, it's about the football being about the football and not the AFL trying to win more fans by holding some stupid themed rounds about this social issue or that social issue.

It's not about whether us white campaigners care or not. It's about the fact that we go to the footy, or tune in to the footy, for one thing...the ******* football.

Sport and politics should be kept separate.

Gay round? What about bisexual or transgender round?
Indigenous get their own themed round, but everyone else gets lumped into multicultural round?
So there's 9 games right...how many extra languages are they going to be broadcasting in?
Which languages are included? Which are excluded? How did they pick which ones to use and which to exclude?

See where I'm going with this?
Where does it stop?

The AFL needs to stop trying to be some sort of social justice crusader and worry about what it's meant to worry about, the bloody football.

If the AFL wanted to help charities, they'd approach every reputable charity in the country and come up with a timetable of which grounds which charity which round, and allow them to setup a small marquee or two, and have people walking the concourses raising donations. Simple.
We don't need all these "themed" rounds. Because it's never going to end.
Was there ever a gay round?
No, it's about the football being about the football and not the AFL trying to win more fans by holding some stupid themed rounds about this social issue or that social issue.

It's not about whether us white campaigners care or not. It's about the fact that we go to the footy, or tune in to the footy, for one thing...the ******* football.
Like I asked Adz2332 do this themed rounds effect the way you view the ******* football? If not, why does it matter whether we have themed rounds or not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know, I tune out and forget about it until it comes up again next year.

Like I asked Adz2332 do this themed rounds effect the way you view the ******* football? If not, why does it matter whether we have themed rounds or not?

So far all it's done is made me lose interest in that particular weekend of footy.
What I'm saying is, where will it end? How many more themed rounds for some stupid social issue will we get, before it's more about the AFL being crusaders for every social issue and less about the footy? Do we wait for it get out of hand before speaking up or act pre-emptively.

I don't know, I tune out and forget about it until it comes up again next year.

So far all it's done is made me lose interest in that particular weekend of footy.
What I'm saying is, where will it end? How many more themed rounds for some stupid social issue will we get, before it's more about the AFL being crusaders for every social issue and less about the footy? Do we wait for it get out of hand before speaking up or act pre-emptively.
So just because a round is labelled 'Indigenous Round' or 'Women's Round' you lose interest in the whole weekend of footy? Seems pretty childish to me. It's not like the AFL is stopping in the middle of a game to recognise these issues. The football is still there whether it's a themed round or not.

No, although it's been mooted this week. That people can get so upset over a hypothetical themed game/round as overkill is telling.

I'm yet to see someone from the "let's keep sport and politics separate" camp that doesn't have a regressive point of view when it comes to to recognising the views of minorities.

Let's face it, from Jackie Robinson to the raised fist salutes, Charlie Perkins, Nicky Windmar and Adam Goodes, sport has always been at the forefront of race relations. In many cases, it is the only regular access that people get to minority communities in their everyday lives - see the "I'm not racist, I like the Aboriginal players at my club" crowd.

End of the day, no one's asking you to do anything. You don't have to give up your land, job, dignity or time. Just don't be a dick, and trust people's perspective on their own experience.

Last edited:
No, although it's been mooted this week. That people can get so upset over a hypothetical themed game/round as overkill is telling.

I'm yet to see someone from the "let's keep sport and politics separate" camp that doesn't have a regressive point of view when it comes to to recognising the views of minorities.

Let's face it, from Jackie Robinson to the raised fist salutes, Charlie Perkins, Nicky Windmar and Adam Goodes, sport has always been at the forefront of race relations. In many cases, it is the only regular access that people get to minority communities in their everyday lives - see the "I'm bit racist, I like the Aboriginal players at my club" crowd.

End of the day, no one's asking you to do anything. You don't have to give up your land, job, dignity or time. Just don't be a dick, and trust people's perspective on their own experience.

and there it is, anyone who doesn't agree with themed rounds is a racist bigot. Clap clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back