Youth coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be worth using the s**t sandwich approach. Mix your criticism/feedback in with a couple of positives.

"Jimmy... you laid a couple of beautiful tackles at the start of that quarter. Fantastic stuff, really got us going. I thought your man got away from you a couple times when you were ball watching though. When it's been one-on-one you've beaten him every time."

Or frame things slightly differently - rather than point out what they are doing wrong, explain how they can do it right.

Also rather than single people out for errors, make it a focus for the whole team. Eg if a few players are missing tackles or whatever. Talk about the technique - tackle with your whole body, not by reaching out with your arms. If you're going to single someone out point out a player who tackles well and why they tackle well.

Only subtle changes and might feel like you're sugar-coating things but reckon you can have the same effect without embarrassing a kid in front of his team mates or riling up the parents needlessly.

Hello,

My 2 boys have started playing for the local club in under 8's and under 10's.

The coaching is average (more time fighting each other than learning the basics.)

My 7 year old shows a bit of form and best of all loves it. Any advice on junior training in the southern districts of Perth.?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back