Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date - Saturday, August 8th
Time - 4:35pm
Venue - Gabba
Weather - 22° Mostly sunny

Preview by Ironmonger

It has been a frustrating and confusing season for Queensland football.

There's something quite fitting about the AFL deciding ad hoc to experiment with four umpires for this game, because both clubs right now seem like the end result of listless tinkering by the AFL without a really clear idea of what's to be done with them

After high hopes five months ago, both teams will prop up the ladder and will need a big turnaround to get near the finals next season. Injuries have hit hard, but there's no getting away from the fact that the Suns and the Lions have been very disappointing by any standard.

There's usually some sort of forced posturing in the media between the two clubs ahead of the uninspiringly named Q-Clash, and so far that's been mercifully absent, but it does ram home how hard it is to get excited about Brisbane and Gold Coast in 2015. The horse is dead. Why flog it?

You could even argue that it would be better for either team to lose this game and get the first choice of draftees.

With Ablett missing for the Suns, and Beams for the Lions, the players to watch on Saturday will mostly be the promising kids.

The newest rising star nominee, Harris Andrews, has been one of the most exciting things about the Lions' season. Liam Dawson will be looking to back up from a strong performance last week. Jono Freeman had one or two good moments in his first game for the year.

Miller and Saad have been revelations for the Suns this year, while Lonergan, Kolodjashnij and Matera have shown some better form in the second half of the season.

So the year doesn't need to be a total write-off for either team, and this game gives both sets of kids the chance to step up against opponents that hopefully they'll be battling against in many derbies to come.

And that's why I don't have any doubts about what result I want on Saturday.

After the farce that was the first game between these two teams in 2011, we had a golden run against the Suns, winning the next five matches even when we weren't playing our best footy. If you get into the habit of beating a team, it tends to become a pattern, and I'd like to see us start a pattern this weekend.

So maybe this time there's not a lot on the line. Maybe not next time either. But I'll bet that in the not-too-distant future a lot of the players out there will be in some high stakes Queensland derbies, and when that time comes I'd like them to remember that the Lions have the wood over their bastard half-brothers from down the highway, going right back to Round 19 2015.

So let's hope that Taylor, Dawson, Robertson and Mayes give Freeman and McStay plenty of supply, while Clarke, Andrews and Paparone keep it tight down back. Because if they can do that this weekend against Gold Coast, chances are they can do it again five years from now.

Go Lions and stuff tanking.

10 Lions on season end injury list this week.

Time to give the younger players their head - nothing to lose this year.

Q: What'll get over to make the Suns/Lions clash look like a genuine rivalry? I mean we need some real heat, nothing fake looking ok?

A: Pro-wrestlers dammit! They'll bring in some credibility to any rivalry. And it's the Bella Twins People! And we get Nikki.

9e5d26a2-9313-4620-a6df-e249a6643be0_zpsw5tatevo.png

4 umpires, Brion, confused looking Divas, Ekka-weekend, and a clash between the league's worst performing sides. Bah-gawd this game's gonna be one for the ages. #Gettothegabba

Q: What'll get over to make the Suns/Lions clash look like a genuine rivalry? I mean we need some real heat, nothing fake looking ok?

A: Pro-wrestlers dammit! They'll bring in some credibility to any rivalry. And it's the Bella Twins People! And we get Nikki.

4 umpires, Brion, confused looking Divas, Ekka-weekend, and a clash between the league's worst performing sides. Bah-gawd this game's gonna be one for the ages. #Gettothegabba

I would never lose interest if Jim Ross commentated our games.

"AS GOD IS MY WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF"

If the AFL had any wisdom at all; they'd throw the gates open to this game and try and get at least 25,000 to the Gabba (and of course spot us the cash based on the crowd figure) :cool:

With both QLD teams sitting in the bottom two and the TV rights conversation in full swing; you can't have a state that has a population greater than WA & SA combined a complete mess when it comes to AFL.

Re: the 4 umpires...

Guys on 360 last night mentioned how insulting it is to only apply it for the 1 game involving the 'cellar dwellers' of the competition. That they would get a much greater sample if they applied it to a game like Hawthorn v WCE.

Re: the 4 umpires...

Guys on 360 last night mentioned how insulting it is to only apply it for the 1 game involving the 'cellar dwellers' of the competition. That they would get a much greater sample if they applied it to a game like Hawthorn v WCE.

Or is it because we seem to be the ones with a lot of stoppages? Wasn't the game a few weeks ago with a record of stoppages or something?

I reckon they could throw open the gates and we still wouldnt get 20k to this game.

The build up to this one is non existent. I am toying with going but I think we are a better chance of winning the Carlton game so might go to that one instead.

the 4 umpires thing is apparantly going to be trialled in a number of games before the end of the season.

I imagine it will only happen in games that are no chance of influencing finals given it could be perceived to be unfair if the 4th official picks up a free kick that leads to a team missing the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, new game this weekend: Take a shot every time an umpire blows his whistle. Now that there is 4, be sure to set your phone to have an automatic speed dial to 000 and tell your family and friends you love them.

Im gonna say lions by 20 points. only reason is cos we showed a bit of competitiveness against Geelong in the first half and we're due for a win.

I'll bring the jelly.:cool:

I reckon they could throw open the gates and we still wouldnt get 20k to this game.
My thoughts exactly.

Real shame.

Last year's clash at the Gabba got 27k in shitty weather and both clubs struggling. This year realistically, had the year gone to plan for both clubs, should have brought in 35k.

Unfortunately it's going to take a few more years of both clubs performing well for QClash to ever have a build up :(

Question: Which section will the Suns cheer squad be at on Saturday? Thanks :)

Interested to see how he goes but I worry that there have been more injuries than just Beams or Leuey otherwise the T word is what pops into my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back