If West Coast lose to Hawthorn will Fremantle "throw" the Derby?

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ie, Hawthorn beat West Coast this week, suddenly Hawthorn will be only 2pts behind West Coast.

Is it than advantageous for Fremantle to lose to West Coast the following week and help West Coast sew up 2nd place and a home Qualifying Final thus forcing Hawthorn to travel to Perth in Week 1 of the Finals?

Or is it better for Fremantle to beat West Coast and possibly put West Coast down to 4th behind Hawthorn & Sydney and thus give Hawthorn potentially an arm-chair ride into the Grand Final with 2 home finals at the MCG?

What is it better for Fremantle to do? Force Hawthorn to travel to Perth during the finals or allow Hawthorn the luxury of not leaving Victoria after Round 22 (Tasmanian game against Brisbane).

How is Fyfe anyway, will he be back for the Derby or is it more prudent to rest him until the following week against North Melbourne? Especially given the scenario outlined.

Would Fremantle coach Ross Lyon ever send out a weakened team in a Home & Away game if he thought it would benefit his team in the Finals?

Would he?????

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6431&Code=62781bbf42e85146c0cbb01efdb67519

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Also, I might add the obvious, if Fremantle beat West Coast in the Derby and condemn West Coast to 4th that would also possibly set up a Qualifying Final Derby for Fremantle in Week 1 of the Finals.

Would it be easier for Fremantle to face West Coast in Week 1 of the Finals or an interstate team?

What would Ross do?

schnoods

Club Legend
May 21, 2012
Warn(a)bro
AFL Club
Fremantle
We'd go into the game trying to win. You can't play nostradamus and predict games and ladder positions.

Especially the way we've been playing. We've been winning but nothing convincingly and our forward line and midfield structure clearly needs jigging. At the moment the saints this week is a mission and the derby and the game against North are coin flips on our form

Ie, Hawthorn beat West Coast this week, suddenly Hawthorn will be only 2pts behind West Coast.

Is it than advantageous for Fremantle to lose to West Coast the following week and help West Coast sew up 2nd place and a home Qualifying Final thus forcing Hawthorn to travel to Perth in Week 1 of the Finals?

Or is it better for Fremantle to beat West Coast and possibly put West Coast down to 4th behind Hawthorn & Sydney and thus give Hawthorn potentially an arm-chair ride into the Grand Final with 2 home finals at the MCG?

What is it better for Fremantle to do? Force Hawthorn to travel to Perth during the finals or allow Hawthorn the luxury of not leaving Victoria after Round 22 (Tasmanian game against Brisbane).

How is Fyfe anyway, will he be back for the Derby or is it more prudent to rest him until the following week against North Melbourne? Especially given the scenario outlined.

Would Fremantle coach Ross Lyon ever send out a weakened team in a Home & Away game if he thought it would benefit his team in the Finals?

Would he?????

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6431&Code=62781bbf42e85146c0cbb01efdb67519

I don't think Freo has to worry about trying to drop a game against WCE as this point. They have to work out how to win and most importantly win in September/ October.

Is there any risk the second team might have to play at the MCG even if the won the right to a home final? I think that is a possibility in the round before the finals. So coming first might mean a lot.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Derby absolutely no chance, rest players in a different game before finals, definite possibility, v Melbourne R22 stands out as a realistic game to do it.

West Coast lose both against Haw & Freo then 4th is most likely where they will finish. Sydney have a relatively easy draw & Hawthorn is similar.
Way to miss the argument put forward in the op.

Jul 15, 2012
Best country in the world
AFL Club
West Coast
I know they have a long history of throwing matches and stuff like that, but if they win they will be even in terms of Derby victories. It's taken them 20 years to get this opportunity, so they probably won't take a half-assed approach to this match.

schnoods

Club Legend
May 21, 2012
Warn(a)bro
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know they have a long history of throwing matches and stuff like that, but if they win they will be even in terms of Derby victories. It's taken them 20 years to get this opportunity, so they probably won't take a half-assed approach to this match.

1 game. Rested 15 odd players. 1 game is not a long history.....

Back