Android phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to have it charging at the same rate as a decent charger - I want more than the slow charging available at the moment through Qi.

When decent charge rates (or more power efficient smart phones/tablets are made) I'll gladly go wireless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've got a cheap one from Hong Kong via eBay, slow but does the trick as most of the charging is done at work and can leave it powered through the work PC, quite handy.

Got a Nexus 5 too.

For 10-15 bucks you can see if it's worth your while.

It's a new year and there are already some new phones and rumours around the place thanks to CES. LG have a new "Flex" phone (curved screen) with the new Snapdragon 810 chipset, there's a couple of ASUS phones including one with optical zoom, and people have found evidence of a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge coming into India for testing. Once MWC happens in March there should be some nice devices making an appearance.

Thoughts on the G4? It's certainly got me interested. I'll have to wait for reviews to come out, but the camera and screen look great, the battery sounds like it's pretty good. Also, those leather backs look so good! Red, brown and black all have my interest in particular. If the reviews say the battery is good enough, the speaker is decent and the snapdragon 808 performs well enough I'll be getting it. The rear speaker along with the lack of wireless charging and fingerprint scanner are compromises I think I'm willing to make. If I really want wireless charging I'll just buy the case for it (although I'd hate to hide the beautiful leather) and I rarely use lockscreens for my phone anyway, so a fingerprint sensor isn't a big deal to me. The speaker is my biggest issue, I'm currently on an M7 so I'm used to lovely front speakers, but people have said the G4's speaker isn't too bad. I'll thoroughly miss front facing speakers though. Also, the front camera looks like it does some weird smoothing effect? I know Samsung and HTC offer the smoothing effect in their photo editors that hide blemishes but is a very noticeable effect. I'm just hoping the front camera photos I've seen have been people using a similar effect, and not from the camera or image processing.

Sorry to continue with Maxwell110's phone rantings, but the Nexus 6 has been brought back to my attention, apparently the battery is pretty good, it's a Nexus so it'll get quick updates and it has front facing speakers. However it is 6 months old now and lacks quite a few features that other phones have. I'm going to have to compare the specs and features of all the phones I'm interested in and see which one suits me the best.

Just installed the update on my phone, and for sine reason they have removed the mute option when holding down the lock button. Used to be able to cycle from sound, vibrate, silent, just from holding this button. Now you have to go through settings and alter the vibration intensity settings.

Not sure why they would remove it.

Just installed the update on my phone, and for sine reason they have removed the mute option when holding down the lock button. Used to be able to cycle from sound, vibrate, silent, just from holding this button. Now you have to go through settings and alter the vibration intensity settings.

On my Z3 I now have to choose silent or "priority" mode by using the volume buttons. Slightly annoying but it's just one of those things you get used to.

Is this the Lollipop update? If so then yeah, they made a bad choice with that one. At least they're fixing it in the next update, that'll probably take another year or so to get to everyone.

Is this the Lollipop update? If so then yeah, they made a bad choice with that one. At least they're fixing it in the next update, that'll probably take another year or so to get to everyone.

Yeah its a lollipop thing. My S5 got an update to fix this a few days ago but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

I updated to lollipop. Phone is working faster especially the internet browser which is a relief because everytime I updated my iphone it would get slower and slower.

I dont like the new colour schemes in particular in the settings menu and in messsages. Preferred the black background but no biggy.

One thing that is anmoying me is the message notification icon no longer appears in the lock screen, so if I dont hear it and just look at the lock screen you cant see that you got a message which is very dumb. Emails, messages and calls icons would appear now nothing and I havent been able to turn it on. My notification settings for meesage in lock screen are on but still no icon.

I updated to lollipop. Phone is working faster especially the internet browser which is a relief because everytime I updated my iphone it would get slower and slower.

I dont like the new colour schemes in particular in the settings menu and in messsages. Preferred the black background but no biggy.

One thing that is anmoying me is the message notification icon no longer appears in the lock screen, so if I dont hear it and just look at the lock screen you cant see that you got a message which is very dumb. Emails, messages and calls icons would appear now nothing and I havent been able to turn it on. My notification settings for meesage in lock screen are on but still no icon.

In the settings under "Sound & notification" you can select what's displayed on the lock screen, Lollipop has a new feature that lets notifications get displayed on the actual lock screen (either with message/email details or without) instead of just the status bar at the top. You might just need to enable it.

In the settings under "Sound & notification" you can select what's displayed on the lock screen, Lollipop has a new feature that lets notifications get displayed on the actual lock screen (either with message/email details or without) instead of just the status bar at the top. You might just need to enable it.

Awesome, much appreciated.

Prefer the old system but this will do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have for the past 4 years had a Samsung Galaxy (2 and then 4) and never once had a problem with the actual phones. Love them. I wanted to try a new phone though as I didn't really like the feel/look of 5 (Wife had it) so I went for the Sony Xperia z3.

Well what a big ******* mistake that was. It is without a doubt the weakest ******* phone I have ever owned. Twice now it has fallen (once from about 50cm while on the couch) onto carpet, with a case on and plastic screen protection and the screen has cracked.

I payed $250 to get it fixed the first time and now I'll have to ******* do it all over again. What a waste of ******* money this piece of s**t has been. Yes I'm pissed and I would not recommend this phone to anybody. I would understand if it fell onto a hard surface like concrete or if I didn't have protection on it, but to have the screen crack twice due to a fall onto a soft surface. * that.

And of course a cracked screen isn't under any kind of warranty either so I'm s**t out of luck with that option, which with the way these phones are made I totally understand why they would otherwise all they'd be doing is fixing phone screens.

So who wants to buy a Z3?...... :rolleyes:

I have for the past 4 years had a Samsung Galaxy (2 and then 4) and never once had a problem with the actual phones. Love them. I wanted to try a new phone though as I didn't really like the feel/look of 5 (Wife had it) so I went for the Sony Xperia z3.

Well what a big ******* mistake that was. It is without a doubt the weakest ******* phone I have ever owned. Twice now it has fallen (once from about 50cm while on the couch) onto carpet, with a case on and plastic screen protection and the screen has cracked.

I payed $250 to get it fixed the first time and now I'll have to ******* do it all over again. What a waste of ******* money this piece of s**t has been. Yes I'm pissed and I would not recommend this phone to anybody. I would understand if it fell onto a hard surface like concrete or if I didn't have protection on it, but to have the screen crack twice due to a fall onto a soft surface. **** that.

And of course a cracked screen isn't under any kind of warranty either so I'm s**t out of luck with that option, which with the way these phones are made I totally understand why they would otherwise all they'd be doing is fixing phone screens.

In 9 months I've dropped my Z3 a few times, including once off a desk without a case, and it's been fine. Get a decent case and a decent screen protector and they are pretty solid, 4-5 people at work have various Z series phones and none of them have smashed either. Sounds like you're just unlucky.

Get tempered glass protectors, they're much better.

I payed $250 to get it fixed the first time and now I'll have to ******* do it all over again. What a waste of ******* money this piece of s**t has been. Yes I'm pissed and I would not recommend this phone to anybody. I would understand if it fell onto a hard surface like concrete or if I didn't have protection on it, but to have the screen crack twice due to a fall onto a soft surface. **** that.

Wow glad I didnt get the Z3 then. Picked up the S5 as a grey import. Interested in the vast differences in your perception between the S4 and S5. To me they are very similar.

Haha thanks. Had to be at least one other dude that appreciates the black star ninja.

Oh man from one great 80's film avatar to another!

Looking to upgrade my fairly ageing galaxy nexus (don't care massively about having the latest and greatest) for max 400ish (would consider stretching if it would be a massive difference).

Basically the only decent option I've found is the 32GB Nexus 5 for 400ish. My main concern being that it's getting on a bit. I'm not really fussed about the camera quality.

Is there anything comparable in quality/cheaper or significantly better/not too much more expensive I should look at or is that basically it?

Looking to upgrade my fairly ageing galaxy nexus (don't care massively about having the latest and greatest) for max 400ish (would consider stretching if it would be a massive difference).

Basically the only decent option I've found is the 32GB Nexus 5 for 400ish. My main concern being that it's getting on a bit. I'm not really fussed about the camera quality.

Is there anything comparable in quality/cheaper or significantly better/not too much more expensive I should look at or is that basically it?

Check the reviews of the ASUS Zenfone 2, a friend has one and seems to be happy with it, it might be an alternative.

Grey imports of the G4 are hitting the $600 mark. The S6 isnt too much more.

Considering the AU dollar has taken a hit since the days of the $400 Nexus 5, spending 600 is about right for a flagship phone.

For $400 I'd get the G3, S5 or consider one of the chinese brands

Grey imports of the G4 are hitting the $600 mark. The S6 isnt too much more.

Considering the AU dollar has taken a hit since the days of the $400 Nexus 5, spending 600 is about right for a flagship phone.

For $400 I'd get the G3, S5 or consider one of the chinese brands
The thing is I found a 32GB Nexus 5 for 400 (399 actually), the G3 and S5 are significantly more.

I'm also a fan of clean android. My question is really:
Is a Nexus 5 still worth getting for $400AUD or is there a better option?

I've dropped my Z2 a number of times, not so much as a scratch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back