2015 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Fightstar just announced that they're releasing a new record, Behind the Devil's Back, on October 16th. Gone straight to my most anticipated for the remainder of the year. The artwork is stunningly good.

CKgT3WwWUAANiwG.jpg

katana I last heard you were one of the few still into Best Coast. I hated The Only Place, but man, I just downloaded California Nights (is this a joke title?) and man... Feeling Ok has to be one of the finest songs of the year. Everything about it is so nice (except the video). Such a sweet set of guitar sounds.
well, i mean, i'm not gonna sit here and argue that they're some amazing contribution to artistic culture... but their aesthetic is just so nice - planning to take the old girl along on sunday @ the corner. it's a total guilty pleasure album, as much i'd never feel guilty about listening to anything.

the beach house lp is 'aoty material'. jamie xx felt a little too entry-level for me, when a lot of my friends are into deeper techno. been hanging out for the new destroyer album, but from the single i've heard it sounds like he's dumped the aesthetic of kaputt, which is kinda disappointing. i liked ducktails in a way, but matt's whining vocals give me the shits, which is a shame because sonically it works really well.

oh yeah, vince staples is a ripper - nothing quite as good as blue suede on it, but norf norf (lol a relevant bigfooty reference) captures that attitude.

Last edited:
katana I last heard you were one of the few still into Best Coast. I hated The Only Place, but man, I just downloaded California Nights (is this a joke title?) and man... Feeling Ok has to be one of the finest songs of the year. Everything about it is so nice (except the video). Such a sweet set of guitar sounds.

Best Coast is "nothing matters" sunny day music. Just takes you to a happy place with the simplicity of it all. Just imagine sitting in the sun sipping beers. Very few artists can do that effectively.

well, i mean, i'm not gonna sit here and argue that they're some amazing contribution to artistic culture... but their aesthetic is just so nice - planning to take the old girl along on sunday @ the corner. it's a total guilty pleasure album, as much i'd never feel guilty about listening to anything.

the beach house lp is 'aoty material'. jamie xx felt a little too entry-level for me, when a lot of my friends are into deeper techno. been hanging out for the new destroyer album, but from the single i've heard it sounds like he's dumped the aesthetic of kaputt, which is kinda disappointing. i liked ducktails in a way, but matt's whining vocals give me the shits, which is a shame because sonically it works really well.

oh yeah, vince staples is a ripper - nothing quite as good as blue suede on it, but norf norf (lol a relevant bigfooty reference) captures that attitude.
The Beach House album is really good. I'd argue their best.

i was once a fan, but how annoying is mac demarco?

his whole schtick, his disingenuous lyrics (i don't believe he's half the romantic he presents himself as lyrically - and if he is then...). he's not funny or particularly interesting in any striking way just 'yeah, alright, man' - which does not pass as charisma or personality in any way. it's weird to believe it took triple j so long to realise how scalable he is, i don't recall hearing anything from 2 when the j's used to be on daily at work back in 2012-13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his whole schtick, his disingenuous lyrics (i don't believe he's half the romantic he presents himself as lyrically - and if he is then...). he's not funny or particularly interesting in any striking way just 'yeah, alright, man' - which does not pass as charisma or personality in any way. it's weird to believe it took triple j so long to realise how scalable he is, i don't recall hearing anything from 2 when the j's used to be on daily at work back in 2012-13.
Agree.

Just got Another One today and I don't really get it. I was expecting Salad Days to have a lot more keyboard on it, for him to change his sound up a lot. But two albums on and everything is the exact same as 2. Except on this new EP, he's actually writing boring songs instead of funky little ditties. I don't get how he has this currency with music critics when a lot of his stuff is exactly the same, and the coolest, funnest things he's done are well in the past. As you said, his presentation as a romantic is totally dead – it's like he's writing second hand blues or country, I don't get it.

Dude has definitely jumped the shark. He's also not very funny. It's easy to hashtag #eatturd and be a goof.

I will concede that his girlfriend is really cute and I dig his clothes.

Two of my favourite groups in Beirut and My Disco are releasing new albums in the next month or two. I've been waiting a while and looking forward to that.

Agree.

Just got Another One today and I don't really get it. I was expecting Salad Days to have a lot more keyboard on it, for him to change his sound up a lot. But two albums on and everything is the exact same as 2. Except on this new EP, he's actually writing boring songs instead of funky little ditties. I don't get how he has this currency with music critics when a lot of his stuff is exactly the same, and the coolest, funnest things he's done are well in the past. As you said, his presentation as a romantic is totally dead – it's like he's writing second hand blues or country, I don't get it.

Dude has definitely jumped the shark. He's also not very funny. It's easy to hashtag #eatturd and be a goof.

I will concede that his girlfriend is really cute and I dig his clothes.

I love the lo-fi and the laid back feel. He may be annoying but I can put up with feeling his s**t.

Massive actor. Probably only seen 1 normal interview...his growth will be good to watch :)

McKirdy was the only presenter who would give anything off 2 a spin, usually "Freaking Out the Neighbourhood". I can't begrudge Mac for what he does but I would have liked him to have changed it up a little by now. Haven't heard Another One yet. "Chamber of Reflection" was the best song off Salad Days simply because it was different to his usual work

McKirdy was the only presenter who would give anything off 2 a spin, usually "Freaking Out the Neighbourhood". I can't begrudge Mac for what he does but I would have liked him to have changed it up a little by now. Haven't heard Another One yet. "Chamber of Reflection" was the best song off Salad Days simply because it was different to his usual work
I don't know why he didn't get into synths. It's probably the biggest guitar band cliche ever but seriously, it still had his sound to it while being far more unique.

Don't even bother with Another One. It's just more boring guitar stuff but without any good melodies.

He seems a sweet guy so I don't like shitting on him. But at the same time bully for him that a few people are getting bored of his schtick – dude's got his own house from his music. Not many of his fans will ever have their own house.

Anyway, anyway else digging Depression Cherry? Honestly sounds like a parody title but whatevs, I'm into it. Beach House are a good example of a band who have changed enough – Teen Dream was 100 times better songwriting, Bloom was it in widescreen, this thing isn't all dreamy but almost kind of angry and depleted? This is one of my favourite songs of the year... sounds like a Xiu Xiu collab.

I know I've already posted about their new album, but Battles are streaming a (pretty nicely edited) live performance of four new tracks on loop for 24 hours. I think we're into hour 12.

Anyway, anyway else digging Depression Cherry? Honestly sounds like a parody title but whatevs, I'm into it. Beach House are a good example of a band who have changed enough – Teen Dream was 100 times better songwriting, Bloom was it in widescreen, this thing isn't all dreamy but almost kind of angry and depleted? This is one of my favourite songs of the year... sounds like a Xiu Xiu collab.
Listened to it a lot in the last month, really enjoyable and it's remarkably fresh, considering how easy it is for bands like this to get repetitive and listless.

Why is Wildest Dreams only getting released now? I swear I've been enjoying that song for the best part of 6 months, if not more! Easily the second best song on 1989.

Why is Wildest Dreams only getting released now? I swear I've been enjoying that song for the best part of 6 months, if not more! Easily the second best song on 1989.
That line about "say you'll remember me, standing in a white dress, looking at the sunset babe" is such a classic pop line. I genuinely like it in context to that album/song/her (pretty transparent) image.

Still reckon That's How You Get the Girl is the best song on there. Good chuggy verses and that chorus... hits and has some stretched out vocals. It's so good. That and Blank Space and the non-Kendrick version of Bad Blood are still my favourites. Love New Romantics too.

Of course it's not #cool music for this #cool forum but I have specific and meaningful memories of rinsing it all weekend. It's no different to AM, MVOTC, Everyday Robots, The Magic Whip, or In Colour in terms of being able to nail a fun time in my life. I remember I went out on the Friday and ended up smoking pipe after pipe (and then she did it. Wheeeeeey fellas) with these lame arse Melbourne Uni kids in Princes Park. Then I got it done, slept at my mate's in the city for three hours, woke straight up and got the V-Line for a Saturday night out in Geetroit. Spent Sunday watching the Wanderers win the Asian Cup and sending a girl I'd cut it off with a text because I felt so weird. Ended up reigniting it and I'm still seeing and liking and now talking about on a forum-ing that same girl. You can't dispel any music that brings back something so memorable to you. I think of that as one of those weekends that summed up being 20.

That line about "say you'll remember me, standing in a white dress, looking at the sunset babe" is such a classic pop line. I genuinely like it in context to that album/song/her (pretty transparent) image.

Still reckon That's How You Get the Girl is the best song on there. Good chuggy verses and that chorus... hits and has some stretched out vocals. It's so good. That and Blank Space and the non-Kendrick version of Bad Blood are still my favourites. Love New Romantics too.

Of course it's not #cool music for this #cool forum but I have specific and meaningful memories of rinsing it all weekend. It's no different to AM, MVOTC, Everyday Robots, The Magic Whip, or In Colour in terms of being able to nail a fun time in my life. I remember I went out on the Friday and ended up smoking pipe after pipe (and then she did it. Wheeeeeey fellas) with these lame arse Melbourne Uni kids in Princes Park. Then I got it done, slept at my mate's in the city for three hours, woke straight up and got the V-Line for a Saturday night out in Geetroit. Spent Sunday watching the Wanderers win the Asian Cup and sending a girl I'd cut it off with a text because I felt so weird. Ended up reigniting it and I'm still seeing and liking and now talking about on a forum-ing that same girl. You can't dispel any music that brings back something so memorable to you. I think of that as one of those weekends that summed up being 20.
Yeah I'd say top 4:
1. Style
2. Wildest Dreams
3. All you had to do was stay
4. How You Get The Girl

Not really a fan of Out of the woods or Bad Blood though.

"Chamber of Reflection" was the best song off Salad Days simply because it was different to his usual work
"Let Her Go" was the best song off Salad Days - and probably the best song he'll ever write - because it was bloody nice little ditty, no matter how polished, or 'commercial', it may have been.

I just got back from Europe so I'm looking forward to sussing out some albums. I haven't heard the Vince Staples album but I've been waiting ages. The new Ducktails is on the list too. I heard Surreal Exposure over there and loved it – one of the better guitar tunes this year; as always, a nice foil to Real Estate. Disappointed I couldn't catch his show in Gothenburg.

Matt is a homie and mentioned that he is hoping to be back out later this year/early next year :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back