Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reason for definitely not?

I would be keen for a party and have been leaning towards Budapest for that reason.
Vienna is boring at the best of times, and Venice is an overpriced tourist hub for old people, not partying.

Vienna is boring at the best of times, and Venice is an overpriced tourist hub for old people, not partying.
Fair call. Had planned to go to both for a few days whilst I'm in the area anyway, sounds like your not a fan though? Any recommendations of superior nearby cities?

Fair call. Had planned to go to both for a few days whilst I'm in the area anyway, sounds like your not a fan though? Any recommendations of superior nearby cities?
Vienna is the type of city where you need to be into the history or have the money to take advantage IMO. Worth seeing, but don't expect too much. Don't like the hostel culture much.

Venice is stunning. I studied architecture and love the city for that reason. But it isn't a party city. And it's expensive. Have to see it but it's also touristy as hell. Expensive, full of old people, suffers from the same issues as Bruges.

Could wander the city forever.

Just don't try and get a coffee anywhere.

Opinions on Scandinavian/Nordic countries? Definitely doing Iceland, as for Finland, Norway and Sweden are concerned I'm not strongly leaning to one over the others. I've heard it's quite timely travelling between them if you don't fly, relying on ferries and 10+ hour journeys between major cities isn't too appetising. So which one is the best both natural beauty/scenery and the cities beauty and culture?

Opinions on Scandinavian/Nordic countries? Definitely doing Iceland, as for Finland, Norway and Sweden are concerned I'm not strongly leaning to one over the others. I've heard it's quite timely travelling between them if you don't fly, relying on ferries and 10+ hour journeys between major cities isn't too appetising. So which one is the best both natural beauty/scenery and the cities beauty and culture?
Currently looking at that part of the world myself. Norway has beautiful fjords, we are thinking of staying in a city called Bergen on the West Coast which isn't too far from a number of them. It's going to cost a fortunte, but I suggest you look it up and see if that's what interests you :)

Working through where I'll be staying in each city, anyone been to the following or have any recomendations?
Berlin - Mitte
Paris - One of the inner Arrondissements (1-6)

Been to both. So much to do that you can't fit it all in first trip around.

Research and knowing what interests you is the key. The Metro in Paris and the S&U-Bahn in Berlin are easy to use and get you everywhere you want to go.

My suggestions would be:
Berlin - East Side Gallery (1.3km stretch of the Berlin Wall which paintings from 1990), the area around the Brandenburg Gate (Reichtag Building, Tiergarten and Holocaust Memorial) and the Topography of Terror near Potsdamer Platz.

Paris - My only tip is climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe rather than the Eiffel Tower so you get the view of the Tower as well as the view down the Champs-Elysees.

But overall whatever your taste is both cities will provide it for you.

Working through where I'll be staying in each city, anyone been to the following or have any recomendations?
Berlin - Mitte
Depends what you want. Easy to get around from Mitte. I like staying in Kreuzberg, Neukölln, Friedrichshain or Prenzlaur Berg (though Pberg is a bit out of the way) A lot to do in the East to keep you amused.

Been to both. So much to do that you can't fit it all in first trip around.

Research and knowing what interests you is the key. The Metro in Paris and the S&U-Bahn in Berlin are easy to use and get you everywhere you want to go.

My suggestions would be:
Berlin - East Side Gallery (1.3km stretch of the Berlin Wall which paintings from 1990), the area around the Brandenburg Gate (Reichtag Building, Tiergarten and Holocaust Memorial) and the Topography of Terror near Potsdamer Platz.

Paris - My only tip is climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe rather than the Eiffel Tower so you get the view of the Tower as well as the view down the Champs-Elysees.

But overall whatever your taste is both cities will provide it for you.
Depends what you want. Easy to get around from Mitte. I like staying in Kreuzberg, Neukölln, Friedrichshain or Prenzlaur Berg (though Pberg is a bit out of the way) A lot to do in the East to keep you amused.

As a first timer going there, I guess I don't know what I want to do specifically. Generally when I travel I enjoy seeing some of the main sites, going to restaurants, walking the streets, seeing the local shops and transport. I'm not someone who needs to specifically have things around to entertain me. I sort of find my way as I go. For that reason I thought it might be beneficial to locate in a relatively central area so as to have easy access to most things, that way I can pick and choose where I go on the day.

Hi all, I am heading to Greece in 4 weeks. Am spending 6 days in Athens including a 2 day tour through Delphi, Kalampaka and Meteora before heading to the islands. Never been to Greece before, there looks to be so much to see and do in Athens but with only 4 days to spare can those that have been to recommend any tours or must see places? Also any cafe/restaurants we should check out?

Thanks heaps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vienna is the type of city where you need to be into the history or have the money to take advantage IMO. Worth seeing, but don't expect too much. Don't like the hostel culture much.

Venice is stunning. I studied architecture and love the city for that reason. But it isn't a party city. And it's expensive. Have to see it but it's also touristy as hell. Expensive, full of old people, suffers from the same issues as Bruges.

Could wander the city forever.

Just don't try and get a coffee anywhere.
I'd go the other way.
With Vienna, The main shopping street was decent, the church down there was stunning. The architecture on the ring road was stunning. Loved the city.

Venice I found boring. A walking tour covers most of it in 2 hours. Could do the ****ing city in 4 hours and not be rushed.

Didn't get to Budapest (on my to do list though) but I did do Prague. Yeah, that'd be good for New Years. I did Berlin new years and loved it.

Vienna I did at the end of January and I left thinking I didn't see enough.

Went over to Bratislava for a day trip and that was about it as I spent my first full day sleeping off a hangover and my last full day was a Sunday with nothing open and a fresh dumping of snow convincing me that to stay inside. Don't get me wrong it was the one city I didn't plan what to do except for going to Bratislava and I came away loving the city.

Hi all, I am heading to Greece in 4 weeks. Am spending 6 days in Athens including a 2 day tour through Delphi, Kalampaka and Meteora before heading to the islands. Never been to Greece before, there looks to be so much to see and do in Athens but with only 4 days to spare can those that have been to recommend any tours or must see places? Also any cafe/restaurants we should check out?

Thanks heaps
6 days in Athens = 4days too many.

Vienna I did at the end of January and I left thinking I didn't see enough.

Went over to Bratislava for a day trip and that was about it as I spent my first full day sleeping off a hangover and my last full day was a Sunday with nothing open and a fresh dumping of snow convincing me that to stay inside. Don't get me wrong it was the one city I didn't plan what to do except for going to Bratislava and I came away loving the city.
Love Vienna, went there for a couple of days and left 3 weeks later. Have since been back several times, magnificant city.

Only 4 days in Anthens. Can you recommend anything that we should see/do in Anthens or places to travel to outside of Athens?
Sorry, I only went to Athens and the island closest to Athens called Aegina, which was good. Smoked some joints and hung out with a friend of a friend who was a crazy Canadian/Scotsman who owned a place over there. Only had 2 days on the island, but had a great time. There is a pretty impressive temple there, but that's about the limit of my sight seeing.

Athens there is the Acropolis and some other ruins about the place. I spent a bit more time there because I had friends, but if it wasn't for that I would've preferred to have gone straight to the islands.

Sorry, I only went to Athens and the island closest to Athens called Aegina, which was good. Smoked some joints and hung out with a friend of a friend who was a crazy Canadian/Scotsman who owned a place over there. Only had 2 days on the island, but had a great time. There is a pretty impressive temple there, but that's about the limit of my sight seeing.

Athens there is the Acropolis and some other ruins about the place. I spent a bit more time there because I had friends, but if it wasn't for that I would've preferred to have gone straight to the islands.

No drama, hopefully there's someone here who has explored Athens and its surrounds more thoroughly that can give me a few tips

Spent a fair bit of time in both Finland and Sweden, Stockholm is a cracking city, you can spend days getting lost throughout the archipelago that makes up the city, also the countryside is quite gorgeous! Weather during the summer is quite mild which is nice! Finland much the same as Sweden to be fair, the Fins are a lil more subdued though! Helsinki is another cracking city, on of my favorites for architecture and just feel of the city!

So I'm going to Europe and America in Jan/Feb/March and everyone has told me it's cheaper to do our own thing and do hostels rather than tours.

Went to Student Flights today and they tell us it's way too expensive to do your own thing in winter. Are they just telling me that so they can get commission off of me booking a tour or is it actually true? Would much prefer to do hostels so that we can meet more people and have more control, but not if it's going to cost us thousands more.

What are people's experiences with this sort of stuff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back