Preview Hawks vs West Coast, Rd 18 2015 OUT: Hale IN: Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joffa is great depth, he knows our game plan, he sets a good standard at BH if he was a bit faster we would probably see more of him he's just stuck behind some very talented also not so fast mids

Unfortunately for Simpkin, it looks like his days as a Hawthorn player are over. :(

Highly unlikely he will play any more games this year. Will always be grateful for the brief time he spent at our club.

Who could forget when he won two Premierships in the VFL and AFL within a week. He was the ultimate 'depth' player throughout the 2013-14 season when called upon as he played his role when he was needed.
Ye WWSD totally agree, but a shame all the same, as he still has a lot to give if given the chance.

Not saying shoey should be dropped but his performances are being overrated atm, its because everyone knows how poor he is when he gets 9 touches and a goal it feels like he's a world beater.
Schoey is hitting contests hard, it's not always how many possessions or goals you get that determines how you are performing.

I would like to see him clunk a few marks now though, as his set shots have been really good this season.

Schoey is hitting contests hard, it's not always how many possessions or goals you get that determines how you are performing.

I would like to see him clunk a few marks now though, as his set shots have been really good this season.
To time trial Hale permanent deep forward I reckon.

Cegs and BB to ruck. Rough and Gunstan to do whatever they choose.

Hale offers more than Cobbler in contested marking.
Rough/Gunstan could play Cobbler's role better and we have a bail out option in Hale when we get squeezed.

I assume the brains trust will adopt this strategy soon when it is needed.

I always look at a players pace when they DONT have the ball!!! Everyone looks a million dollars with space and ball in hand but it's the work and space closing that matters in big games! Simpkin is a little quicker then given credit for and is very elusive. If Breust out then Joff comes in imo. Cegs for Hale, billy a full game with Bradley as sub.

Outs- Schoenmakers
In- Simpkin or Anderson

Maybe Ceglar for Hale, but Hale has been very good since he came back in.

We got shown up for many things last week, one of them being pace.
Billy needs to start on the ground. Imagine him Smith and Hill rotating through the half forward line.
And as much as i like Schoey, as a forward he didnt do much against Carlton, so was never going to work against Richmond, and wont against WC.
If Anderson is ready to go again, i say bring him in as a forward. Can take a great mark for a medium size player, and we need his pressure between the arcs.

BURGOYNE LAKE STRATTON
GIBSON FRAWLEY BIRCHALL
HILL MITCHELL SMITH
RIOLI ROUGHEAD LEWIS
BREUST GUNSTON POPPY

MCEVOY HODGE SHIELS

HARTUNG DURYEA HALE/CEGLAR ANDERSON

ON THIN ICE
Duryea- Litherland waiting in the wings. Quicker, bigger body, i believe gives us more options
Frawley- hopefully it was just first week back blues. Needs to handball more. Spangher is ahead of him when fit as it stands

Shoey stretches the defence and also regardless of how people feel he also may help combat the Eagles forwards and to be frank, there have been those playing worse

Is there something in 'Jesus' going down...??..side was playing brill football..Close game against pies, but smashed Freo Swans and derr Carlton...but The Spangh goes out and we looked unsettled and lose...just saying..

Gibson - Lake - Duryea
Birchall - Frawley - Stratton
Smith - Mitchell - Hill
Suckling - McEvoy - Rioli
Gunston - Roughead - Puopolo
Ceglar - Hodge - Lewis

Burgoyne - Shiels - Hartung - Schoenmakers

That's with Suckling & Ceglar for Breust & Hale.
This line up looks good, except i would swap Roughead and McEvoy. I think WCE defense is going to be tested with a big tall target. Roughead could run in to crumb a few easy ones :)

We lacked run from the backline. I wish Cyril and Poppy go to half back more often to keep the opposition forwards honest. We didnt do that much last week.

To time trial Hale permanent deep forward I reckon.

Cegs and BB to ruck. Rough and Gunstan to do whatever they choose.

Hale offers more than Cobbler in contested marking.
Rough/Gunstan could play Cobbler's role better and we have a bail out option in Hale when we get squeezed.

I assume the brains trust will adopt this strategy soon when it is needed.
Good Idea on that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always look at a players pace when they DONT have the ball!!! Everyone looks a million dollars with space and ball in hand but it's the work and space closing that matters in big games! Simpkin is a little quicker then given credit for and is very elusive. If Breust out then Joff comes in imo. Cegs for Hale, billy a full game with Bradley as sub.
Right on TyHawk!!!!

Will be listening to this game via the AFL iPhone app in Kirindy Forest Reserve just off the Mozambique Channel in Western Madagascar. Should be an interesting call. I presume that I will be the only hawthorn supporter in that neck of the woods but you never know. There was actually some taxi driver wearing a Dockers beanie at the airport in Antananarivo which I found rather amusing.

The West are preparing for back to back home QF's...time for the Hawks to solve the problem.

If we're dinkum this year we'll/should win this one comfortably

Major hiccup last week.

Dont know how that happened after the previous 3 weeks?

Looked like world beaters.

I have no idea which team is going to turn up. But when we play into the hands of such an average side like we did last week with Richmond we make it very hard for ourselves.

And West Coast will be an even tougher task. I hope the boys are up for it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Must negate the NicNac... If they get easy ball to Priddis we are in a world of hurt, good thing though the Eagles haven't been bashed from pillar to post by a mature midfield and that's what our boys will do.

We need to make use of their lack of KPD, which leaves me with the thought of playing Hale deep for majority and Ceglar as the ruckman. Big boys ship has sailed for me, he can't keep putting 2 good weeks in then go completely awol, it would be different if he could acrually ruck but it's fairly obvious his tap work is non-existent.

Would love to see a left field selection, someone like Jedi or Jono get a gig on the open spaces of Subi, maybe Clarko can say to a kid 'here you go son, announce yourself'.

I really think If we can get them this week we will get 2nd, I can't see us losing another game and the Eagles have an extremely tough run.

Must negate the NicNac... If they get easy ball to Priddis we are in a world of hurt, good thing though the Eagles haven't been bashed from pillar to post by a mature midfield and that's what our boys will do.

We need to make use of their lack of KPD, which leaves me with the thought of playing Hale deep for majority and Ceglar as the ruckman. Big boys ship has sailed for me, he can't keep putting 2 good weeks in then go completely awol, it would be different if he could acrually ruck but it's fairly obvious his tap work is non-existent.

Would love to see a left field selection, someone like Jedi or Jono get a gig on the open spaces of Subi, maybe Clarko can say to a kid 'here you go son, announce yourself'.

I really think If we can get them this week we will get 2nd, I can't see us losing another game and the Eagles have an extremely tough run.

I agree with that if we win this week I think we will finish 2nd also because Id expect the Eagles to drop another game and I think if we get the chocolates here we will go 17-5.

I agree with that if we win this week I think we will finish 2nd also because Id expect the Eagles to drop another game and I think if we get the chocolates here we will go 17-5.

What are your thoughts on Hale stay at home FF, Rough roaming CHF and Gunno doing as he likes with Schoey chipping in like he does? Cyril High HF, Pop causing havoc from the pine to the pocket and Breust nipping at the feet of the big guys?

Let's look at the match up problems for the Eagles.

Hale - 201cm
Ruff - 193cm
Gunno - 193cm
Schoe - 195cm

How do they negate that? Cyril and Bruest at their feet, with Ruff also basically a tall/small, throw in pop as well and its a nightmare for West Coast.

What are your thoughts on Hale stay at home FF, Rough roaming CHF and Gunno doing as he likes with Schoey chipping in like he does? Cyril High HF, Pop causing havoc from the pine to the pocket and Breust nipping at the feet of the big guys?

Hale - 201cm
Ruff - 193cm
Gunno - 193cm
Schoe - 195cm

How do they negate that? Cyril and Bruest at their feet, with Ruff also basically a tall/small, throw in pop as well and its a nightmare for West Coast.
We would have to have a a relief ruckman on the pine or be prepared to use shoey in the ruck for more than the last quarter.

Hale - 201cm
Ruff - 193cm
Gunno - 193cm
Schoe - 195cm

How many times have we scoffed at teams trying to stretch our backline only to kill them with rebound. None of those players are exactly ferocious tacklers so we need to be careful not to fall into the same trap.

I think with the number of times we've lost a KPD during a game this year as long as Shoe is showing OK form he will stay in as the insurance policy.

If its going to be wet will be interesting to see how we line up though, traveling emergencies could be telling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back