Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's weird to see so many people content to see Jay leave when the majority of people are begging Ken to play another KPF in the side...what do you think is going to happen if Jay leaves?
I want Sarge to stay and have a better year next year which will give him another contract - something was not right this year.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
It's weird to see so many people content to see Jay leave when the majority of people are begging Ken to play another KPF in the side...what do you think is going to happen if Jay leaves?
I can see a good part of the season being taken up with us getting used to a new forward structure. Not saying we'll lose all the games while we sort ourselves out but I think we'll win less than usual. Jay should be worth a two-year contract at least, he turns 31 early in the 2016 season so I don't see the problem. If he's injured and out for a season that's too bad but that can happen with all players. Not that that seems likely, his durability isn't in question, he is on a run of 71 games, having last missed from rounds 13-18 in 2012.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The track record of 30 plus year olds going to other clubs is pretty ordinary in terms of success I would of thought.. Better to stay put Jay, if Freo don't win it this year they have rooted their window if you ask me.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He'll stay baffles me why Freo are apparently going hard

Not sure if serious.

Schulz is actually a quality forward, maybe top 10 in the comp. Fremantle on the other hand do not have multiple quality key forwards. Their list is primed for contention now and another window in 3-4 years after McPharlin Johnson Pav leave and their replacements kick into gear. Schulz would be able to both play with pav next year and potentially bridge that gap between pavs team and Fyfes future team with guns in Hill, Walters and Barlow. Fremantle despite recruiting heavily on talls 2 years ago have no one capable holding down a KPF role. Z.Clarke is the biggest figjam soft utensil in the afl, Taberner would be the worst best 22 player in the comp right now(I like how he's a natural forward but s**t he just couldn't mark a football if his life depended on it.) apeness has fallen off the face of the earth. Moeller will be destined to be the worst 1 game afl footballer of all time. Their best key forward was a kid that played there for the first time in his life on the weekend and kicked 1.4 or something. Apart from that Sandilands is the only capable support for pavs and he's nearly AA ruck. Jono Griffin will be a better key forward than anyone on their list IMO.

If that's not enough freo have been linked to every KPP out of contract in the last 5 years. Dixon, Shaw, Ryder, Cloke, Clark, Carlisle, Frawley and have missed every single one of them. They have bucketload of cash coming from Mchparlin sandy pav Johnson all on veterans or retiring.

Jay would be an excellent pick up for them.

The track record of 30 plus year olds going to other clubs is pretty ordinary in terms of success I would of thought.. Better to stay put Jay, if Freo don't win it this year they have rooted their window if you ask me.

Brian Lake did ok.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if serious.

Schulz is actually a quality forward, maybe top 10 in the comp. Fremantle on the other hand do not have multiple quality key forwards. Their list is primed for contention now and another window in 3-4 years after McPharlin Johnson Pav leave and their replacements kick into gear. Schulz would be able to both play with pav next year and potentially bridge that gap between pavs team and Fyfes future team with guns in Hill, Walters and Barlow. Fremantle despite recruiting heavily on talls 2 years ago have no one capable holding down a KPF role. Z.Clarke is the biggest figjam soft utensil in the afl, Taberner would be the worst best 22 player in the comp right now(I like how he's a natural forward but s**t he just couldn't mark a football if his life depended on it.) apeness has fallen off the face of the earth. Moeller will be destined to be the worst 1 game afl footballer of all time. Their best key forward was a kid that played there for the first time in his life on the weekend and kicked 1.4 or something. Apart from that Sandilands is the only capable support for pavs and he's nearly AA ruck. Jono Griffin will be a better key forward than anyone on their list IMO.

If that's not enough freo have been linked to every KPP out of contract in the last 5 years. Dixon, Shaw, Ryder, Cloke, Clark, Carlisle, Frawley and have missed every single one of them. They have bucketload of cash coming from Mchparlin sandy pav Johnson all on veterans or retiring.

Jay would be an excellent pick up for them.
You start bringing in 30 plus year olds it can go balls up pretty quick.. poor form, injury induced retirements, it rarely works it's a suckers play & generally players that age don't produce much when they go to a new club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
you can't be thinking of winning the flag before 2020 but also trading out one of our best key positions. we need dixon AND schulz not just a fifa trade.
Schulz doesn't play key position anymore.

The importance of a key forward is that they straighten the team up by taking marks and bring the ball to ground in the middle of the 50, meaning easier set shots and more opportunities to crumb goals.

Schulz leads to the boundary near the 50m line for easy marks and rarely competes in the air in a pack like he used to. As it stands, we could replace him with Brett Ebert and not lose anything.

Only proper key forward on our list is Harvey.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
what would the dockers give up for him. If he is the man that could win them a flag, then a second rounder which for them would be nearly pick 40?
Could be their second round pick is 34 to 38 that's ok if we go into the draft with 3 picks and are out at 38?

tim cotrill

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
image.jpg
image.jpg
he's been posting these the past few days..doing a paddy Dangerfield and acting like he wants to be around the club or actually wants to play for our great footy club? who knows..

Zombie

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
$800k for 2 years seems fair to me. Would offer more for 1 year (maybe around $475k?) or a fair bit less for 3 ($950k over 3?) if he is wanting more than a 2 year contract.

I can't see him getting a 3 year contract tho at nearly 31.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hall
Akermanis
Jolly
Tarrant mk.II
Gardiner
Steven King
Hardwick

not too bad considering the minimal trades that happen with these older guys.
Out of that list 2 played in a flag at their new home.. as I said suckers play

*A couple of those were under 30 at the time they left I reckon

AJJPAFC

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC SANFL
Hall
Akermanis
Jolly
Tarrant mk.II
Gardiner
Steven King
Hardwick

not too bad considering the minimal trades that happen with these older guys.
King and Gardiner hardly had success. Aker was about a third of the player he was at the lions. The list of blokes at 30 who move and have success is stupidly small.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont think this is a $$$ issue, Jay want's 3 (his final contract) PAFC want 2, Freo offered 2 with more $$$.

So I think his manager is using that to get Port to offer 3 with a $ discount.
3 is crazy. I love Schulzy but that's crazy. Really hope he stays at Port. Would be very sad to see him in other colours.

Give me another 10 examples

Why 10? Such an arbitrary number.

Lake would likely be the only player that's 30+ and had premiership success at a new club. Very few 30+ players switch clubs hoping for premiership success. It's rare. For many players that are 30+ and move clubs, success is simply adding an extra year or 2 to their AFL careers.

The only players that I can think of that have moved clubs with a genuine intention of premiership success in recent memory are Lake and Waite. Players such as Chapman, Cooney, Cross and Carey are really seeking to extend their AFL careers as the primary goal.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
King and Gardiner hardly had success. Aker was about a third of the player he was at the lions. The list of blokes at 30 who move and have success is stupidly small.

i concede, you're right. if we declare being a starter in a team that was a bounce of the ball off a premiership or not being as dominant as the early 2000 aker as "not successful" the list is non-existent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back