Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

And what will you be doing when you trade away motlop and your first rounder for PD so effectively two first rounders

ha ha so if Motlop re-signs who's next???

Geelong seem to be paying absolute scant regard for keeping things to 'trade'. I'm pretty sure they'd know by now if they had Danger or not.

Goes back to my point. We've either missed him and are going about trying to salvage all those other deals or we have him and have no intention trading for him.

Whats the point of matching if there is nothing you want. Next years pick and GHS/Murdoch better than compo?? You run a massive risk of getting zip

Like you say I'm sure Danger doesn't want to go into the PSD but lets be honest no other club is going to take him either and everybody knows that.

I'm sure you've read how much he loves the Adelaide footy club, did you just think he didn't like the AFC
He has to say that. He might not actually like the place, you know like the other players that left.

Poor danger Geelong putting their priority into getting Henderson than helping him realise his dream in getting back to Moggs. Gee I feel sorry for him adelaide should offer him an additional $100k if they would rather spend their efforts in getting Henderson than danger
Poor Dangerfield, you do have to feel terribly sorry for him, being forced to stay at a club and state he doesn't want to live in by the Adelaide football club, being told we refuse to allow you to move to the destination of your choice with your soon to be wife and family after all your great years at the club you have committed.

Let's say it does go to trade table, and by the recent rumblings sounds as if Motlop is staying as he said in an article he wants to stay. If Geelong uses pick 1 on Henderson, then it might come back to bite Adelaide on the arse. All I could see being offered is next years first round + this years second round.

Still be better compo than getting 1 first rounder this year in a s**t draft and when they will finish higher on the ladder (and worse in draft order) than Geelong.

I see no outcome where Adelaide is worse off by matching a Dangerfield offer. Even if you finish above them on the ladder, in your ungenerous trade scenario they still get a bonus round 2 pick.
Every club can use an extra round 2 pick :)

Poor Dangerfield, you do have to feel terribly sorry for him, being forced to stay at a club and state he doesn't want to live in by the Adelaide football club, being told we refuse to allow you to move to the destination of your choice with your soon to be wife and family after all your great years at the club you have committed.

Do you seriously think adelaide would actually give a flying **** if he's walking out the door. He turns himself into a commodity at that point and the gloves come off.

ha ha so if Motlop re-signs who's next???

Geelong seem to be paying absolute scant regard for keeping things to 'trade'. I'm pretty sure they'd know by now if they had Danger or not.

Goes back to my point. We've either missed him and are going about trying to salvage all those other deals or we have him and have no intention trading for him.

Whats the point of matching if there is nothing you want. Next years pick and GHS/Murdoch better than compo?? You run a massive risk of getting zip

Like you say I'm sure Danger doesn't want to go into the PSD but lets be honest no other club is going to take him either and everybody knows that.

Melbourne would snap him in the preseason in a freaking heartbeat. There is nothing to stop them doing so if he choose to walk that path. Rules are the rules and he risks the same as 18 year old draftees at that point and if he got done by Melbourne or St Kilda (or Brissie for that matter) there is no court of appeal. There is no way he takes a PSD route. Clubs would get him for the min 2 years and back themselves in.

He has to say that. He might not actually like the place, you know like the other players that left.

The whole 'Adelaide has a player retention problem' argument is a bit of a myth as far as I'm concerned. The only reason it's even a point of discussion is because of the quality (not quantity) of the few players who have left.

Bock
Davis
Tippett
Gunston

That's 4 players in 5 years, 3 of which have gone on to provide appalling value (mostly due to injuries) for their new clubs. During this same period, the club has picked up Sam Jacobs, Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins, Luke Brown and Tom Lynch (to name a few) for absolutely nothing of any significance via trading and free agency - if a couple of the blokes who left had stayed, not all of these moves would have even been considered. All have provided fantastic value for Adelaide and are now all in the best 18 without question (I'd argue that all 5 of them are in our best 12-14). Not the end of the world if you ask me. There's also been some handy drafting done in this time but that's a separate issue.

I'm pretty sure most clubs would have a comparative list of players who have departed, despite being 'required players' over the last 5 years or so. Many would exceed it. Player movement is part and parcel of today's AFL, and the only club that should really be alarmed is Brisbane, although I suspect Essendon and Carlton might be feeling the pinch soon too (if they aren't already).

Adelaide's (and Port Adelaide's) main hurdle is always going to be geography. Some 20 something males find Adelaide the city a bit dull, especially ones who grew up in bigger cities. s**t happens. And in some cases, regardless of geography, money talks. Tippett, Bock and Davis are all examples of blokes being offered deals they essentially 'couldn't refuse', but that certainly isn't an issue that only affects the Adelaide footy club. Tom Scully, Tom Boyd, Levi Greenwood, Eddie Betts (arguably other factors at play), Mitch Clark (when he left Brisbane), Nick Malceski, Gary Ablett, Shane Mumford (when he left Sydney), Dale Thomas, Lance Franklin, Brendon Goddard, Danyle Pearce, Rhys Palmer and Troy Chaplin are all relatively recent examples of blokes who have shifted clubs predominantly for a big payday that their previous clubs simply couldn't / didn't want to match. I don't really think there's much these clubs could have done to prevent these guys departing in terms of culture, environment etc, and Tippett, Bock and Davis all certainly fall into this category.

The only player from Adelaide who doesn't fall into the above category is Gunston. Supposedly he was just a depressed, homesick 20 odd year old. Was he depressed / homesick / wanting to leave the AFC because of anything other than geographical factors? I've never heard anything to suggest he was but you'd have to ask him.

As for Dangerfield, it's a very similar situation to those faced by Dayne Beams and Travis Boak in recent years. The lure of home vs loyalty to the current club. Beams left, Boak stayed. Was Beams leaving a poor reflection on Collingwood as a club? I didn't really think so, no.

And what will you be doing when you trade away motlop and your first rounder for PD so effectively two first rounders
Hitting the snooze button on the alarm after waking up from a horrible nightmare.

Won't happen anyway.

http://geelongadvertiser.com.au/spo...he-wants-to-stay/story-fnjuhrxq-1227499726410

Patience young padawan, all in good time.

Oh wait I forgot you crows boys don't like Jay-Z as a journalist :oops:

Oh wow Jay talks about the crows not matching in other articles yet in this article says we have a spare $1 million for midfielders. If we have that spare $1 million he talks about why the hell would we not match and either keep PD or force a trade by having PD risk the PSD. It's pretty obvious if he goes it's Moggs or bust.

the new Adelaide CEO and Roo would have to be the biggest dickheads in the world if they don't get maximum compensation for the 2 nd best player in the league

Most clubs will trade for such players like Judd did. But your club does have the ability to put such a high price on PD we won't match but I dare say with upping Hawkins contract and motlops and wanting pd , selwood and Henderson unless Geelong is a place you get cola there won't be any spare cash to do this. So next best option trade for him and keep all these players in the salary cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole 'Adelaide has a player retention problem' argument is a bit of a myth as far as I'm concerned. The only reason it's even a point of discussion is because of the quality (not quantity) of the few players who have left.

Bock
Davis
Tippett
Gunston

That's 4 players in 5 years, 3 of which have gone on to provide appalling value (mostly due to injuries) for their new clubs. During this same period, the club has picked up Sam Jacobs, Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins, Luke Brown and Tom Lynch (to name a few) for absolutely nothing of any significance via trading and free agency - if a couple of the blokes who left had stayed, not all of these moves would have even been considered. All have provided fantastic value for Adelaide and are now all in the best 18 without question (I'd argue that all 5 of them are in our best 12-14). Not the end of the world if you ask me. There's also been some handy drafting done in this time but that's a separate issue.

I'm pretty sure most clubs would have a comparative list of players who have departed, despite being 'required players' over the last 5 years or so. Many would exceed it. Player movement is part and parcel of today's AFL, and the only club that should really be alarmed is Brisbane, although I suspect Essendon and Carlton might be feeling the pinch soon too (if they aren't already).

Adelaide's (and Port Adelaide's) main hurdle is always going to be geography. Some 20 something males find Adelaide the city a bit dull, especially ones who grew up in bigger cities. s**t happens. And in some cases, regardless of geography, money talks. Tippett, Bock and Davis are all examples of blokes being offered deals they essentially 'couldn't refuse', but that certainly isn't an issue that only affects the Adelaide footy club. Tom Scully, Tom Boyd, Levi Greenwood, Eddie Betts (arguably other factors at play), Mitch Clark (when he left Brisbane), Nick Malceski, Gary Ablett, Shane Mumford (when he left Sydney), Dale Thomas, Lance Franklin, Brendon Goddard, Danyle Pearce, Rhys Palmer and Troy Chaplin are all relatively recent examples of blokes who have shifted clubs predominantly for a big payday that their previous clubs simply couldn't / didn't want to match. I don't really think there's much these clubs could have done to prevent these guys departing in terms of culture, environment etc, and Tippett, Bock and Davis all certainly fall into this category.

The only player from Adelaide who doesn't fall into the above category is Gunston. Supposedly he was just a depressed, homesick 20 odd year old. Was he depressed / homesick / wanting to leave the AFC because of anything other than geographical factors? I've never heard anything to suggest he was but you'd have to ask him.

As for Dangerfield, it's a very similar situation to those faced by Dayne Beams and Travis Boak in recent years. The lure of home vs loyalty to the current club. Beams left, Boak stayed. Was Beams leaving a poor reflection on Collingwood as a club? I didn't really think so, no.
nobody wants to live in adelaide imo

Still be better compo than getting 1 first rounder this year in a s**t draft and when they will finish higher on the ladder (and worse in draft order) than Geelong.

I see no outcome where Adelaide is worse off by matching a Dangerfield offer. Even if you finish above them on the ladder, in your ungenerous trade scenario they still get a bonus round 2 pick.
Every club can use an extra round 2 pick :)

The reality is he isn't going to be at Adelaide and its Geelong or PSD, Geelong don't loose anything at the end of the day, if Adelaide wants to match then they have to accept whatever Geelong can offer, and I can't see much being offered besides a pick and another pick somewhere. And who are these clubs come draft day when they have finalised their lists that will have an extra 1.3 million in their cap?

Cats fans are suggesting that a player's club has next to no leverage in trade situations where the player is out of contract.

History shows otherwise.

And what is with the "we lose nothing if we don't pick him up". Do some people really look at life that way? Do you think opportunity cost is some mumbo jumbo?

Bock
Davis
Tippett
Gunston

Defensive much? All I said was that maybe Danger doesn't like Adelaide Crows. No one but him and the people close to him would know this.
I suggest you have another look at Beams...

Cats fans are suggesting that a player's club has next to no leverage in trade situations where the player is out of contract.
That's true, but it's of no relevance to Dangerfield as he's a free agent.

Once a player nominates a club and informs his current club that he only wants to be traded to a particular club, and that club only. then his current club must take the best reasonable offer... quite different if a player gives the club a couple of options.

Are you accusing PD of being a low life two faced lier that isn't honest. I don't consider him like that I think he has integrity or is it because he has swipes at the power
Have a cry Marty, sometimes people say things to not hurt others feelings.

That's true, but it's of no relevance to Dangerfield as he's a free agent.

Once a player nominates a club and informs his current club that he only wants to be traded to a particular club, and that club only. then his current club must take the best reasonable offer... quite different if a player gives the club a couple of options.

Players almost always nominate a single club.

He doesn't qualify as a free agent until Adelaide decides not to match. That's the purpose of the restricted free agent system.

If they match, just turns into a standard trade scenario.

Players almost always nominate a single club.

He doesn't qualify as a free agent until Adelaide decides not to match. That's the purpose of the restricted free agent system.

If they match, just turns into a standard trade scenario.
how many teams have matched free agent offers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back