Preview Hawks vs Brisbane - Hale, Langer's, Sicily IN, Hodge, Pop and Schoe OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch is simply doing the right thing by sitting this one out in solidarity with Fyfe as he feels 100% responsible for Fyfe's unfortunate string of injuries, which all rational pundits acknowledge stems from Sam's thuggish corkie some weeks back. :drunk:

You must be one of the most thoughtful and caring posters on Big Footy.

Why does Clarkson bother with the bulltish team selection every week?
Poor form.
Box Hill don't play until Sunday so I imagine all emergencies will travel.
Reckon Cyrill or Rough might also be rested.

Also, Spanger and Ceglar are 'MUST INS' for round 23. Otherwise no hope of being ready for a trip to Perth.

Why does Clarkson bother with the bulltish team selection every week?
Poor form.
Box Hill don't play until Sunday so I imagine all emergencies will travel.
Reckon Cyrill or Rough might also be rested.

Also, Spanger and Ceglar are 'MUST INS' for round 23. Otherwise no hope of being ready for a trip to Perth.
Maybe Mitchell came down with something last night after team selection who knows, will be interesting if we try to update the emergencies and fly another over

You had to actually be at the game, not watching on TV to see what he did at both ends covering for mistakes/trying his bloody guts out.
On form alone and heart and accurate kicking vs. Frawley's 'up and unders', and Duryea's 'never go through the corridor' bombing kicks to opposition, poor Schoey does NOT deserve to be dropped on the 'team balance' Fagan argument on merit alone. Using this 'team balance argument', our back line was way too top heavy selection against an ultra quick, small potentially explosive Port Adelaide forward line (one of the potential advantages of Spanger and even Litherland quicker).
Schoey made some goal saving spoils covering in the backline running back one on one (unlike Suckling when he is one on one), nearly did a great pack snap deep in forward line, certainly has not been 'rag dolled' or 'unko' at all of late, is trying very hard and doing quite well.
It is good to see a forward from Box Hill (Sicily) finally been given a chance as they have been killing it in the reserves, and our forward line this year has not been going gangbusters - esp. in terms of a key forward leading out and clunking marks.
On form alone ala Beveridge's approach to Boyd at Western Bulldogs, Hill deserves some time at Box Hill to find form.
Find the way we are treating Schoenmakers fairly poor to be quite honest. Yes drop him if not doing well, but of late has been doing very well to earn a spot.

I like your argument but I think the weather forecast has a lot to do with the team balance reason, in that they just don't like going too tall when its wet down in Tassie. I hope if Schoey doesn't play he at least gets a game at Box Hill this week.

Never been a Schoey basher and yes he has turned it around nicely this year, but he still hasnt ripped a game apart and made it his. Id like to see him rag doll somebody or take a fair few contested clunks, together with a significantly heightened intensity before he cenents his spot in the finals.

I feel he hasnt taken his opportunity with both hands to demand his place in the team and he's many opportunities this year. But, what do i know, could just be a team balance thing as a fair few of us think.

P.s. This was the week Jed had to play, am hugely disappointed he's been overlooked
Ando was injured in last week's B/H game wasn't he?

Well that's just it. He shows much potential but just can not find that extra edge that will say "move over everyone this spots mine" like perhaps Gunston and Breust did and still do. I've been a Schoey supporter for a long time but unfortunately I'm not seeing much there despite many opportunities. Or take Spangher who also tries his guts out but at least he consistently spoils, marks, provides link ups and just seems to click with others when he's out there. Just my thoughts.
Really think Shoey is taking his ops now, and really starting to strut his stuff with the up there's.

As for Suckling. I like him and us important to our structure when he plays well. Definitely it's needs a run in BH to find that touch again. These next two games will perhaps be do or die both in terms of playing finals and the Hawks next year.

Happy to see Sicily have another crack at it......which of course explains Schoey's omission.
Hard to see Cis coming in for Shoey, body strength and sheer size for one!

If Schoey plays BH could there it be to try qualifying him for VFL finals? dunno what the rules are but he would be pretty close to not being eligible...or doesn't it matter as long as both sides are still involved !!?
Same situation as Simpkin in 2013 where he played In VFL/AFL G/Fs.

You had to actually be at the game, not watching on TV to see what he did at both ends covering for mistakes/trying his bloody guts out.
On form alone and heart and accurate kicking vs. Frawley's 'up and unders', and Duryea's 'never go through the corridor' bombing kicks to opposition, poor Schoey does NOT deserve to be dropped on the 'team balance' Fagan argument on merit alone. Using this 'team balance argument', our back line was way too top heavy selection against an ultra quick, small potentially explosive Port Adelaide forward line (one of the potential advantages of Spanger and even Litherland quicker).
Schoey made some goal saving spoils covering in the backline running back one on one (unlike Suckling when he is one on one), nearly did a great pack snap deep in forward line, certainly has not been 'rag dolled' or 'unko' at all of late, is trying very hard and doing quite well.
It is good to see a forward from Box Hill (Sicily) finally been given a chance as they have been killing it in the reserves, and our forward line this year has not been going gangbusters - esp. in terms of a key forward leading out and clunking marks.
On form alone ala Beveridge's approach to Boyd at Western Bulldogs, Hill deserves some time at Box Hill to find form.
Find the way we are treating Schoenmakers fairly poor to be quite honest. Yes drop him if not doing well, but of late has been doing very well to earn a spot.
Totally agree "Z"!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the team flew over today, including Ratts and his son Tanner. I am pleased he went to the club yesterday, it is much better to keep your mind occupied after the loss of a loved one. I know when my husband died 18 years ago, I didn't want to go to work, but my boss in Melbourne, (St George Bank) suggested I go back to work, and I did as hard as it was. It's so hard the first few weeks, but our customers, ( I was a CSM) were so terrific to me. Good luck Rats, it will very hard for you, but it's the best thing, not only for you, but your family too.The club will surround you, and you will need them too.:(

Last edited:
If Schoey plays BH could there it be to try qualifying him for VFL finals? dunno what the rules are but he would be pretty close to not being eligible...or doesn't it matter as long as both sides are still involved !!?

No, they won't be worrying about that. Box Hill exists to serve Hawthorn not the other way around.

Good to hear Ratts is back at work and will be in the coaches box tomorrow down in Launie :)
Pretty amazing. I'm sure the club is telling him to do it at his own pace. There's nothing even slightly normal about losing a loved one - especially a son. A bit of "normalcy" could be good for him I suppose. My regard for him is already high. It's just got higher.

Like everyone last year whinging about stooging Box Hill with Cyril playing. Correct decision in the end? Bloody oath. Didn't get the ball much but was part of an extreme pressure pack

Too right.

When there's a Hawthorn premiership at stake, everything else can go **** themselves

We may be aligned with Box Hill but there's a big difference between them and a hypothetical Hawthorn vfl side. Of course the Cyril hitout worked out well for us but I was at the vfl gf and was devastated for the Box Hill lads.
We had guys falling over left right & centre yet Cyril was (under instruction) cooling his heels on the pine as the game slipped away.
To simply think Box Hill only exist to serve Hawthorn is a bit patronising imo, even though the Cyril decision had that implication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back