flu injection or shots?

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have been lucky to escape flu for a couple of years but have copped it twice this year. Really can't afford the down time and a friend suggested I should get a shot each year.

Anyone here get one of these and recommend it or is it just for the oldies ;)

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Every company i've worked for has offered free flu vaccinations and i've always declined.

You said you had the flu TWICE this year... do you realise how serious influenza is? People often confuse a bad cold with the flu.

Anyway i don't have flu shots because i know the difference between the flu and a bad cold.

Squeeze lemons into a mug and poor some warm water in and drink it every morning :)

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Aquamarinejewel said:
I have the flu shoot every year...but I seem to cop the flu a couple of weeks later after that I am fine for the rest of the year and don't cop the flu when everyone else has it. Would definitely recommend it.

see what i mean, you're injecting the flu into yourself, so you get flu symptons.

I remember this girl was getting massively pyssed with me for not getting flu shots when all they did to her was give her flu symptoms.

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
nicky said:
Every company i've worked for has offered free flu vaccinations and i've always declined.

You said you had the flu TWICE this year... do you realise how serious influenza is? People often confuse a bad cold with the flu.

Anyway i don't have flu shots because i know the difference between the flu and a bad cold.

Squeeze lemons into a mug and poor some warm water in and drink it every morning :)

Yep, you are correct. 'Bad Cold' would have been a more apt description.

janiek

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2003
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
liverpool
forget the injections - they only work for certian types of flu anyhow
as some of the earlier posters have said - more than likely you've had a heavy cold a couple of times rather than flu

my recommendation enhance your immune system with some fish oil/omega 3 every day

Apr 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NAFC
Yeah as nicky says, the flu (influenza) is different to the common cold.

Flu shots GIVE YOU the flu so quite often you will get sick and then its up to your antibodies to start taking steroids and boost themselves up, something like that anyway.

Fish oils work i guess, i just drink heaps of water and eat oranges and stuff like that, and it seems to work. Also heaps of rest, take a day or two off work and do nothing.

Dont get too excited girls and boys.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dry Rot said:
Very difficult to get now. And if you find some, perhaps it's better to keep it and Tamiflu up your sleeve for when bird flu comes.
The sky is falling. ;)

I don't get shots as I don't see value in them given my age, current health status and the likelihood of serious flu-related problems.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
RoosterLad said:
Yeah as nicky says, the flu (influenza) is different to the common cold.

Flu shots GIVE YOU the flu so quite often you will get sick and then its up to your antibodies to start taking steroids and boost themselves up, something like that anyway.

Fish oils work i guess, i just drink heaps of water and eat oranges and stuff like that, and it seems to work. Also heaps of rest, take a day or two off work and do nothing.

Dont get too excited girls and boys.

oh. my. god. :D ;)

I didn't know about fish oil though.

04 Durif

All Australian
Jun 6, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Carlton

Yes yes yes yes. I've had the flu once. It was an awful experience for a week or two. I get a cold normally once or twice a year. There should be a punishment for people saying they've got the flu when they only have a cold

grumpythecat

Senior List
Aug 19, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't do the whole flu shots or injections. I'm allergic to the ingredients that is in it. Makes me itchy.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Havent had the flu shot in years...havent had the flu in years...

Weird....

Back