Fox Footy's The Winners

Remove this Banner Ad

During the week I was having a chin wag with some work mates about footy and the topic of the ABC'c programme The Winners from the 70's to mid 80's.

To most of us it was like religion, every Sunday we plonked ourselves down in front of the tele at 6pm to watch the goings on in the VFL and mainly to follow our boys. This programme was a must see in the west and although the ABC didn't enter the ratings it would have blown everything around in its timeslot.

One of the chaps said that he had been based at Murray Bridge during this period and said that he knew of few people who watch this show.

Was this a popular show in your region?.

Being a North supporter living in Perth it was like a blood transfusion - how I long for a no frills highlights show these days

Why wasnt this on Fox Footy last night?
My favourite show at the moment back when the footy played was not a combination of rugby and soccer!

AuckMel Starburns_ grizzlym

Hey guys, could this thread please be split from this post (post #49) onwards into a new thread? The first half of the thread is discussing the old ABC 'Winners' show and the second half of the thread is discussing Fox Footy's 2015 iteration which is obviously a completely different program. Would make it a little easier to follow for all, cheers :)

AuckMel Starburns_ grizzlym

Hey guys, could this thread please be split from this post (post #49) onwards into a new thread? The first half of the thread is discussing the old ABC 'Winners' show and the second half of the thread is discussing Fox Footy's 2015 iteration which is obviously a completely different program. Would make it a little easier to follow for all, cheers :)

And done.

I kinda wonder whether winners is better suited, like the original, as a Sunday night show. After the twilight game instead of bounce. And bounce to go back to Wednesday-ish.

By Wednesday, the previous round is ancient history and focus is well and truly on the next round.
I know that may be hard to do re editing and turnaround times for 9 games, but just my thoughts.

I watch fox footy each night so I'll watch regardless...

How about bounce just goes and never comes back.

Was the Winners Rebooted on this week? If it was, my IQ didn't record it, and I don't see it listed for next week either?

I woke up at 2am this morning (after watching the Cats/Swans game) and am seeing the Winners Rebooted on Fox footy now. Not sure when it's scheduled time is meant to be, but i love the concept, having a couple of players from the era on board with Drew, who retains his same boyish voice even now as he's into his 60's. Admittedly 1982 was a historically dry season and high scoring, thus umpire's bouncing would be easier on those dry winter grounds, but Glenn James was noticeable by his brilliant high bouncing in the North/Pies game at VFL Park.

Just watched it tonight. Brilliant.

Melbourne vs Dogs from 1986.

Peter Moore kicked 4
Ted Fidge kicked 4 (a massive torp from 60 and a clean snap - didn't show the rest)
Gary Lyon kicked 2 (very young)

Robbie Flower running around - what a champ.

Dogs had Hawkins running around and a couple of other big names.

Pretty cool to watch these old school games.

Love 80's footy.

Followed footy all my life, but I have a question arising from watching 1980's games.
Has the goalsquare always been the same distance that it is now? In some of the games the Winners is showing, it looks longer, although the goalposts being shorter might be creating one of those illusion things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love watching this show. It's fantastic how none of the ordinary teams were shown back then...NOT!
You look back at how things were back in the 70's and 80's and compre them to today's game i think you would agree that there are more positives today rather than the tv restrictions back then.

On Wednesday they showed a Swans game against St kilda at Moorabbin from 1982. The commentators and score graphics were still referring to them as South Melbourne. Did they not call themselves Sydney when they first relocated?

I think watching this show should quell the notion that the game was somehow more skillful back then, and get a few people putting the rose coloured glasses down.

Watching this week's episode which included a Collingwood vs. Carlton clash (from a packed-to-the-gills Victoria Park). These teams were the grand finalists from the year before, but the highlights were painful to watch. Fumbling, bumbling and just dumb football all round by 2015 standards, and strange free kicks being blown every two seconds as well.

Last edited:
Just watched a replay of last Wednesday's episode with Brereton, the 1982 Hawthorn vs North Melbourne Semi Final.
During one passage of play the commentator says: "... now the Hawks have got their peckers up!"

Watching 1982 Carlton vs Richmond grand final right now, god damn that Bosustow was a cocky show-pony and diving prick. Should've been a soccer player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back