Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if Primal Fear is meme worthy, but for those who remember 'Roy'...

6d5225b9jw1ejgnahf039j20k00b8gmd.jpg

There never was a Bernie Vegas.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Can't help but think Rupert's directive to News Limited papers to start promoting the code has been received and noted.

The attitude shift at the Courier Mail has been pretty noticable already.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots

Can't help but think Rupert's directive to News Limited papers to start promoting the code has been received and noted.

You could argue just as reasonably that steele's relationship with Greg has led to more positive coverage. Especially prevalent given our current state

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo

Yep. Conspiracy was the call early in the week but a very noticeable change in number of articles and tone of reporting.

Morgs_

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many articles do they need to put out about the rift before the media stops asking. I've read about 4 articles all claiming that there isn't a rift between players yet they continue to be asked.

Journos are dumb. No offence Caiphus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
News released at 3:40pm on a Friday. They wanted this to fly under the radar for sure.

Frankly I always thought that Bernie Gabba Vegas was a bit of a show pony and I am glad to see him go. Yeah, he could do the slick fancy stuff at times but he was a bit of one way runner. Roy, on the other hand, looks like he is willing to do the tough in-and-under stuff that you want from a mascot. And with Brion still developing in the goal square I think we have a ten year mascot partnership here - they just need time and a few games under their belts. Don't believe the reports about Brion being a bit of a lightweight, he is tougher than he looks.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought we wanted bookends?

I was very fond of Bernie. All these changes bringing in interlopers like Roy and Brion and we push out loyal servants of the club like Bernie..

Hope this Roy fella can dance...... and that Brion, he has been known to have a big mouth. Concerns me greatly where this club is going.

Poor Bernie, I loved your Bernie dance. Not enough love around these parts for our Bernie :cry:

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
There is some potential for the Lions to move up in the media pecking order in Brisbane next year if we can begin to show a bit. We might actually get a little bit more coverage. Especially more positive coverage.

The Reds seem to really be suffering dark times and from my Rugby supporting friends there is a fair amount of gloom about the team being a competitive force in the next couple of years.

The Roar are in financial turmoil and may be losing the afterglow of their championship years. Some good young players but the big name players might not be as capable as past years. The team might be a fair way off according to one guy I know with some inside knowledge.

The Broncos will, of course dominate the media coverage as usual, but if the Lions can begin to win a few games we might look like the Brisbane team on the rise. The Broncos are also on the verge of losing a few famous names to retirement in the next year or two but regardless will always get 75% of the media coverage. A Wayne Bennett grunt will get more articles and TV stories than five Lions wins. That is just the way it is.

But if the Lions begin their rise next season, we might actually get noticed. From here the only way is up and get a few bandwaggoners jumping on board early and build from there and we are heading in the right direction again.

Dec 18, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar,Halifax Town AFC
a snippet from G Whateley in the hun this morning, take that Barrett.

While Brisbane desperately tries to hold things together, at Carlton it’s every man for himself.

The Lions are under attack on every front.

Justin Leppitsch fights off persistent speculation of a second crippling exodus and Tom Rockliff is forced to justify why he tells an underperforming team it is underperforming.

The first-year skipper under attack for exhibiting the drive and disciplines for which successful leaders are revered.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-gerard-whateley/story-fnp04d70-1227502779105

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This has already been conveyed to relevant parties in all states, but in particular QLD & NSW :thumbsu:

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Yep. Conspiracy was the call early in the week but a very noticeable change in number of articles and tone of reporting.

The club has to come out strongly against any inaccurate reporting. Some may disagree but Rockliff's stand against Damien Barrett may have made some footy media more cautious in just reporting any half baked negative rumour about the Lions they may have heard second or third hand. Clearly Damien Barrett's report about Rockliff's captaincy and disunity at the Lions was over-done and other journalists are starting to realise that.

Last edited:

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's an advantage of playing for a Queensland club, if Rockliff had of tweeted that to Barrett playing for a Vic club there would have been cameras at his door and surrounding the club the immediate day after. We're subject to less scrutiny overall, sometimes it can be good as case in point, sometimes bad re the Voss sacking saga. Took a while to alter people something at the club wasn't right.

neg99

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From Robbo's dislikes:

10. BRISBANE: Have been in a record 12 times in the dislikes and I promise it will be the last time in season 2015. Something’s not right up there and I’m not talking about players sooking about the standards Tom Rockliff wants to put in place. Injuries have hurt, but they have given up in too many games this year. As well as trying to find a key defenders and forwards, the Lions need to find resilience in the off-season.

Can't say I disagree with him...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back