Autopsy Geelong lose to Collingwood by 48 points

Remove this Banner Ad

And I've been reading a lot tonight where people are saying we looked lost and didn't know roles etc etc.

How on earth can players not know where they're meant to be playing/ what they should be doing? This is their full time job for christ's sake. They live and breath the Geelong football club. How can what they do in training be so lost in game day situations??

I've played a fair bit of sport in my time and you don't just go to water this regularly.

when your missing two of your best midfielders, I think it's necessary to bring in a like-for-like.

and speaking of Gore, he would have gone alright last night. I'd even suggest he would have matched Kelly's eventual output. The kid is going to be a star.
It's a shame he hasn't been given a bloody chance. Should have got a game over Stokes weeks ago.
Sometimes debutants turn out to be special. Not all of them have to be shunned away just because a coach believes a veteran will turn back the clock for one last time.

Look it's obvious as TOAB that the olds have to go, every second posters point for most of the year. We have played debutants in a team that was riddled with injuries, and reintegrated Vardy and Menzel when we were still in the hunt for finals. We've experimented under pressure, and would have had the bags kicked out of us EVERY game if posters faves were all selected without thought to balance. We all have our faves, but not the science or the inside rub. Stokes had the faith of the MC, statistics aside. The balance has been more than tricky this year and hindsight is a glorious thing. They'll get their time if good enough, more suffering a monty.

And I've been reading a lot tonight where people are saying we looked lost and didn't know roles etc etc.

How on earth can players not know where they're meant to be playing/ what they should be doing? This is their full time job for christ's sake. They live and breath the Geelong football club. How can what they do in training be so lost in game day situations??

I've played a fair bit of sport in my time and you don't just go to water this regularly.
Our kicking was the worst I've seen all season. We'd move it forward, turn it over (also contributed by handball handball handball) and then the Pies would burn us on the rebound with countless men in space. Their ball use was crisper, we were outplayed in every facet tonight, bar Menzel who was one of the very few who showed his pride in the jumper.

Plenty of positives to take from this season.

We've seen Gregson, Lang and Cockatoo all show they're going to be more than capable AFL players. Kolodjashnij has shown he's got smarts and Thurlow I think has become best 22 as the season has progressed.

Caddy has gone a fair way to having his breakout season. Still has a way to go but we're talking about a 22 year old with a little over 50 games under his belt so the improvement is there.

Menzel has returned! Nevermind that he starred, it was great just to get him back and see him stand up to the rigours of AFL football.

Blicavs. Enough said.

Stanley has been a positive for mine. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of what he's got to offer.

There's more positives still, of course there is and we've got a brighter future ahead of us then some of the teams that been rebuilding throughout our entire "golden era" of the last 9 years or so.

In terms of where things didn't go right for us this year, Joel needs help around the stoppages. Caddy will get there. We need Duncan fit and playing 22 games. If we land Scott Selwood and Dangerfield then our midfield is an entirely different animal.

We need Clark fit and healthy. Hawkins and Clark spent the pre-season working through forward line structures which saw them both a part of it. I think Walker can be a good footballer, but I think Clark is already a much better one. Walker hasn't been able to fill the gap left by Clark's injury. Either we have a fit Mitch Clark, a plan B or we focus our pre-season drills on having one KPF working inside the arc.

Even application of effort. Our best this season has been outstanding again, the Geelong brand of football we've all come to know and love. The lapses, or perceived lack of heart (and it's only a perception) are endemic of players either not knowing their roles or not knowing how to execute their roles or having no faith in the structures we have in place and their role within that structure. Unfortunately, we can't know whether the structures we have in place will work without the team as a collective putting 100% effort into playing their role. This is something we saw without fail during our period of great success. It's something you can see now in any of the successful teams. The players have faith in the system in which they're playing.. they don't necessarily have the best system, they just have belief in the system they've got. Personally, I think a review which highlights our best football this season and shows how the system works when it all comes together will go some way to addressing this issue. Personnel changing (with retirements, new signings and new draftees) should bring new enthusiasm and belief. This is something we had an abundance of over the last decade and something we should hopefully have again. I see players like Blicavs, Gregson, Cockatoo, Lang, Kolodjashnij etc playing the Geelong brand of football and doing it well (they're kids, but the consistency will come) these guys are our future and there's a lot to like.
Superb post- lots of optimism there and I think you've hit the nail on the head on a lot of points there.
Last night, in some parts of the game, I saw players running around like chooks with their heads cut off. They'd totally lost their way, their confidence, their structures.
It all comes back to what Scott says about doing the simple things well and sticking to the game plan. To me, it looked like the ship was sinking and it was every man for himself. Last night, due to the pressure of Collingwood, even the most simple of things became difficult to execute.
It was definitely not a coaching issue- the boys blew this as a team, no individual player caused the collapse that we witnessed. This was a full team reaming. Probably only two players can hold their head high.

Superb post- lots of optimism there and I think you've hit the nail on the head on a lot of points there.
Last night, in some parts of the game, I saw players running around like chooks with their heads cut off. They'd totally lost their way, their confidence, their structures.
It all comes back to what Scott says about doing the simple things well and sticking to the game plan. To me, it looked like the ship was sinking and it was every man for himself. Last night, due to the pressure of Collingwood, even the most simple of things became difficult to execute.
It was definitely not a coaching issue- the boys blew this as a team, no individual player caused the collapse that we witnessed. This was a full team reaming. Probably only two players can hold their head high.
Interesting view. My paranoid self would be saying that was a bad no show. Very bad. The Menzel excuse sounds like a Convenience.

I'd be pissed, but luckily the Cats have been awesome for ages.

There's a psyche issue from afar. Mirroring Norths mental ceiling all year really.

But hell, now the bar of what's crap has been lowered since the franchise teams came in, richmond type efforts spun well, somehow seem ok.

Interesting view. My paranoid self would be saying that was a bad no show. Very bad. The Menzel excuse sounds like a Convenience.

I'd be pissed, but luckily the Cats have been awesome for ages.

There's a psyche issue from afar. Mirroring Norths mental ceiling all year really.

But hell, now the bar of what's crap has been lowered since the franchise teams came in, richmond type efforts spun well, somehow seem ok.
What Menzel excuse?
You didn't make much sense there. Maybe you ARE pissed?

Ran out of gas by season end. But without doubt a seriously tough year draw and injury wise, and a lot more responsibility fell on younger guys shoulders, who looked a bit cooked by the end.

Lot's to like about this season though, I've enjoyed it. Duncan is pivotal for us now - the difference in our midfield when he is fit is huge. Great debut seasons from Gregson, Laing, and Cockatoo is very exciting. 3 Rising star nominations, I believe the most of any club, yet no one can be ****ed noticing that. Thurlow and Kolo look like the young defenders we've been looking for to take the reigns in the back half.

Fingers crossed we keep Motlop and get Dangerfield. A ruck would be handy too.

Love this football club. Rain, hail, shine. And there will be plenty of the latter in seasons to come.

Last edited:

You got it in one, according to a higher authority. Mission impossible.

What Menzel excuse?
You didn't make much sense there. Maybe you ARE pissed?
Haha. Yea.

Just reminded me of a couple of years ago when Thomas had the yips but Brad stuck by him. Would kick a few in bad losses and brad would hang his hat on it.

The plan B he lacked onfield.

Utterly deplorable performance.

And an absolutely excellent result.

Now there can be no doubt whatsoever that our veterans cannot be expected to play any sort of meaningful role in the future of this team.

We were awful just about right across the park. But the vets were brutally exposed time after time.

Many of the youngsters were dreadful as well but they will have to be persevered with.

Cannot believe you can be that insipid as a team when you actually have something to play for. Unlike your opposition.:mad:

And then there was Menz.:cool:

Never enjoyed an individual performance as much in a shattering loss.

The boy is simply a star.

And it looks like we're going to need all of his genius to have any prospects of a decent 2016.
Let's just delist ALL players over 30 years of age. :rolleyes:
Yeah I can just see the club's knee jerk reaction to this loss.

Do that and there will be more years of pain ahead. Cooky has already said the seniors will be transitioned out over the next few years so, if you can't handle it, maybe follow another club for a few years till all of our vets have retired.

"More sweeter" is such very poor use of the English language.

Those in glass houses.

speed2 said:
As a CrowsAn apostrophe to declare ownership should go here s**t-stick supporter my view is why would Danger want to leave a club that has a heart and soul and go to a feeble mob of rabbleA collective noun of a collective noun? Well done who couldn't even show any fight when a spot in the finals depended on it? What a pathetic effort last night!

Maybe he wants to get away from the Adelaide yokels correcting his very poor use of the English language all the time? :rolleyes:

And how did Thomas go this year? I thought he'd had a good year?
Yep you guessed it. After the 3rd rule change associated with him, he's stunk it up again. Like he's done every year at some stage, usually towards the end of the season. Has been turgid. He was dropped this week for being horrendous. The foot injury excuse is either a Thomas squib so he doesn't under perform in the VFL again or Brad not wanting to break the weak sod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realize Walker took 3 contested marks last night? The same number as Vardy.
In fact, Walker has averaged 1.4 contested marks per game. That would place him among the top three at Geelong and about 27th in the entire competition.

I've been as big a Walker supporter/defender as there is but his last month has been woeful. I watched him closely tonight and he looked constantly confused. I'm not convinced he'll ever be anything more than a good VFL player at this stage, which pains me as after the glimpses he showed in last year's finals series, I thought he had the makings of something solid. I say that I hope Vardy can claim that CHF position because Clark's fitness is a worry and Walker and Kersten have been disappointing when given extended stays in the team. Vardy earns my hope by process of elimination given he's the only one yet to have an extended go.

Yeah sure, we lost pretty badly. Not even a contest.But I actually don't care. We have no midfield! It's not a team at the moment, it's the skeleton of a team. An outline. Not really even a sketch. Non-teams don't make finals, so I'm fine with it. It's the starting point of the new era, finally! Even though it probably started when Scotty took over.

And in the end, there are bigger things than winning or losing or making finals. There's also recognition of hard work, and bravery, and dedication, and sheer, goddam, disgusting amounts of talent. And of a good man.

After 4 goals, 20 disposals and no new injuries, you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

Welcome back Dan.
No ruck either :( But another highlight of the year is that we have Kittens who are now best 22, our midrange players have stood up this year + biggest bonus of all is that the Menzel is back! WooHoo!
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: your post MoneyPenny :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Of course Menzel played well and showed heart - he's a South Aussie. I reckon Danger will remain an honorary South Aussie as well after seeing that pathetic display last night. Maybe the motivation wasn't strong enough, after all, it was only to stay in the race for a finals berth.

Four pathetics, including you gloating = on your bike. See ya mate.
Red Alert: It's easy for posters with 10 contributions to get carded.

"More sweeter" is such very poor use of the English language. As a Crows supporter my view is why would Danger want to leave a club that has a heart and soul and go to a feeble mob of rabble who couldn't even show any fight when a spot in the finals depended on it? What a pathetic effort last night!
Hello WAG. Have you decided to hop into your alias have you? Don't worry, Danger will be coming to Geelong and when he does you'll feel alot worse than what I feel right now. Enjoy your last couple of weeks with the great man because they will be your last in seeing him in a fruit tingle guernsey. :)

Cos we want some of that heart and soul, and he wants to come home to mexico.
Let's have your opinion again after your first final, which we helped you achieve.
Hope we get Richmond in our first final. Would absolutely love to flog them like we did a couple of weeks ago. Bring it on!

The end result is not overly unexpected... in that we have been patchy and ordinary a lot this year. Our 3 best players in Hawk, Selwood and Harry have had pretty bloody average years.
Our older blokes at times looked to be trying to protect each other and share the ball with each other... to the detriment of the side.
Thurlow and Lang picked bad weeks to have their worst games for the year.

The positive is Menzel, simply a remarkable return... absolutely blew me away.

We are in a rebuild, we have been expected to fall off the cliff years ago... yet up until the 2nd last game of year we were still a chance for finals... in a year we have battled.

It's not all bad despite the tantrums of some

Now this is a really good post.
Our best 3 players have been disappointing and that's mainly where our problems have been. We all know about Selwood, Hawkins has had a tough year on and off field but Taylor who is one of my favourites has been a long way down. I would like to point out Bartel aswell, he has lost plenty :(

The younger blokes were also all very poor and it's a pity Thurlow and Lang were down so much.

Menzel amazing! Something strange was amiss with everybody else.

After Round 1 I knew we were in for a long struggling year and warned everyone of the impending Scott to be sacked calls. Somehow our finals chances stayed afloat with a lot of 50/50 games won and the season is only just now over and Scott has avoided harsh criticism.
Good on him though, we have been quite competitive this year but looks like the season will have gone 3 weeks to long.
The only really obvious bad game was the Melbourne game and we haven't been able to get close to Hawks/freo/wce/North. Need to compete with the best and we haven't, but the mid tier sides we have played well against up until now.

Hello WAG. Have you decided to hop into your alias have you? Don't worry, Danger will be coming to Geelong and when he does you'll feel alot worse than what I feel right now. Enjoy your last couple of weeks with the great man because they will be your last in seeing him in a fruit tingle guernsey. :)
Lol
Fruit tingle? I've always likened it to a liquorice allsort :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back