Universal Love We Fly As One..............Into The Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, OutofTownCrow quoted about it in the Non Crows AFL discussion thread.

The rule states though that if one or both teams can't play then the AFL will make a decision regarding the points.

Only one team couldn't play due to the circumstances so Geelong could have put forward a case for them being awarded the 4 points. I am sure they didn't though given the circumstances.

Whether they, the Crows or the AFL first suggested splitting the points and whether it was immediately agreed by all parties we do not know.

I find it impossible to believe this was left up to either club to have any say, whatsoever. The humane, right and decent thing to do was exactly what the league did and good on them.

Geelong no doubt would have offered to split the points had it been left to the clubs and had the situation been reversed we would have done the same.

I had a dream....yes again .....a couple of nights ago that we beat West Coast to qualify for finals but the odd thing was that it was early on the weekend, like a Thursday or Friday night game and I had all weekend to enjoy the lack of stress over other results. It never quite seemed right in the dream....like it was just a dream.
What a great start to a weekend and to those at the game Sunday, well what a treat you're in for, wish I could be there.
Anyway, my last footy game for the year will be the Blues v Roosters tomorrow and then soccer. Unless of course I snag a ticket for an unlikely home final.
Enjoy.

To maintain focus and make finals after the horrific year these players have had is a phenomenal achievement and they deserve all the plaudits they get. They've shown tremendous resilience and unity, but the job isn't done yet and I'm sure that's the mentality they'll be taking into the rest of the season. Keep pushing lads.

I find it impossible to believe this was left up to either club to have any say, whatsoever. The humane, right and decent thing to do was exactly what the league did and good on them.

Geelong no doubt would have offered to split the points had it been left to the clubs and had the situation been reversed we would have done the same.

This is the rule as quoted by OutofTownCrow on the other thread:

10.6.2 Incomplete Match
If a Match is unable to commence or continue within the time scheduled for the Match for reasons beyond the control of either Team (including circumstances where it is unsafe for the Match to proceed) the following shall apply:

(a) Match Not Commenced: The result of a Match which is unable to commence for reasons beyond the control of the Team shall be determined by the Controlling Body.

So, as I read it yes the result of such a match will be determined by the AFL. However, on this occasion this was due to circumstances affecting one team, not the other.

So if Geelong had really wanted to push hard the AFL may have awarded them the 4 points. I am sure though that they were more than satisfied with sharing the points given the circumstance and it was completely the right outcome.

Agree. But Geelong were in a win/win situation. They were in poor form at the time and Adelaide were in pretty good form. Geelong had history with Walsh also so if they had have called Adelaide's forfeit then they would've looked like c***s regardless.
The decision was a no brainer for both teams. Thankfully it hasn't really affected results.
Out of interest how do you watch all Adelaide games in the U.S.? Got a West Aussie mate in Colorado.

So if Geelong had really wanted to push hard the AFL may have awarded them the 4 points. I am sure though that they were more than satisfied with sharing the points given the circumstance and it was completely the right outcome.

Agreed--no way on earth do they or any other club ever push the AFL to award them the 4 points.

What's the saying the boys on Fiveaa like to say during the game, "if we are good enough we can..."

Geelong simply wasn't good enough this season and we were.

Agree. But Geelong were in a win/win situation. They were in poor form at the time and Adelaide were in pretty good form. Geelong had history with Walsh also so if they had have called Adelaide's forfeit then they would've looked like c***s regardless.
The decision was a no brainer for both teams. Thankfully it hasn't really affected results.
Out of interest how do you watch all Adelaide games in the U.S.? Got a West Aussie mate in Colorado.

I have a global crow membership (which the AFL this season stripped me of counting as a member for--thanks AFL! ;)). That membership gives you access to, among other things, the global watch stream.

However, Fox Sports2 and Fox Soccer Plus air select games each weekend on television in the States. We have appeared about 70% of the time, so it can be as easy as flipping the tv on.

Tell your mate that the game airs Saturday night at 9pm his time on Fox Soccer Plus, which is channel 621-1 on Directv if he can find a place (or has it himself) to watch. Unsure what station it is for those that have cable--but if he gets Fox Soccer Plus he is good to go.

Red mist was onto that one. He said straight away it would be an advantage. So it proved!
It made em work their way into the forward line without bombing to a focus who, let's face it, hasn't had the best of years. I've seen this happen loads of times when a key forward is not playing.

I think that weekend went above and beyond footy and I think Geelong and its supporters, just like PAP supporters were nothing but classy. I dont think any of them would begrudge not getting into the finals because of that game just like I wouldnt if the shoe was on the other foot. It was just a once in a life time tragedy that the footy world should be congratulated for on its handling.
Don't underestimate the bitterness of some Port flogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pies have done a great thing for us. The boys can now relax going into this last couple of weeks, soak it up and play without fear. That's not to mean not take it seriously by any stretch of the imagination. The year that we have had, the improvement that we have shown, the ruthlessness of the last few weeks has me believing in something special brewing. #weflyasone!

In the times of adversity you look at you inner self to see what you are made of - well since July, we have seen what this group of young players our made of. You can't manufacture that, you can't put slogans on it, words can't describe it but by hell I'm as proud as punch what this group has shown and given us since July 3.

Personally I've had a range of emotions this year, from seeing in person my NFL side win the Super Bowl, then suffer a heart attack, then a full recovery, then seeing our coach get murdered and now see them respond and now to play in the finals, it's been one hell of a year but folks - IT AIN'T OVER YET.

What is this team capable of? Who knows but with what they have handled to date, I reckon with their focus and drive and our support, they know no bounds.

Go Crows.

#weflyasone

Thanks. If you lose to Essendon you don't deserve to be there :)
If we lose to essendon we have some serious problems... It's not essendon we have to worry about. We need to win our last 2 to avoid going to Adelaide if you win ur last 2. Will make Friday nights game against the Kangas an early finals match.

Brilliant OP. Super proud of the boys :thumbsu:

That said... if we lose to West Coast and then Geelong beat us next week, I wonder if any stories will get written about the gesture Geelong made by offering us the draw after Walsh's tragic death. Chances are they'd have thumped us that weekend given what happened, or more realistically, we would have forfeited. And then they'd be in the finals.
I don't think so, the 2 points was the only possible scenario and I don't think the football world nor the cats will be looking at that game and thinking what if. They were terrible tragic circumstances and any team would have done the same just as the crows would have if roles were reversed. Your club has done a magnificent job to make finals and I hopE you do well, just as long as it's not against my boys haha.

10.6.2 Incomplete Match
If a Match is unable to commence or continue within the time scheduled for the Match for reasons beyond the control of either Team (including circumstances where it is unsafe for the Match to proceed) the following shall apply:

(a) Match Not Commenced: The result of a Match which is unable to commence for reasons beyond the control of the Team shall be determined by the Controlling Body.

So, as I read it yes the result of such a match will be determined by the AFL. However, on this occasion this was due to circumstances affecting one team, not the other.

Doesn't matter that it was only us who were affected.

And to be honest, I doubt anyone would pursue this line - you would have to be really bloody low to do so. And If you start going down the what ifs, you can start saying, well if Walsh had not died that week we would have been been damn confident of us beating Geelong at the Adelaide Oval.

This team could have folded up after that week and just put on "brave" displays. Other than the Sydney game (which of course was the only one I got to see live!) we have been excellent.

Last edited:
Brilliant OP. Super proud of the boys :thumbsu:

That said... if we lose to West Coast and then Geelong beat us next week, I wonder if any stories will get written about the gesture Geelong made by offering us the draw after Walsh's tragic death. Chances are they'd have thumped us that weekend given what happened, or more realistically, we would have forfeited. And then they'd be in the finals.

They would be playing Finals if they didn't draw with St Kilda and lose to Collingwood. Two clubs a top 8 side should beat. Add the two points for the win against us that weekend and they would be equal with us, but we make the 8 on percentage.

That gesture from Geelong did not cost them Finals. The past two weeks cost them.

It's time to get serious.

Finals are where reputations are forged and greatness is achieved.

We need to win these next two games and hit the finals with serious momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back