WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Western Australian Cricket Association was short-sighted enough to say "Nope, we're staying here" CA would give them the s**t dates every year until they buckled.

Then Nine will step in and force CA to give Perth good dates for the test. They couldnt give a damn where their only prime time test is. The WACA test is very early this year, 13 November, and is actually the second test on the calender, overtaking Adelaide. Little doubt that was from Nine's pressure considering they want Perth to replace Brisbane as the first test of the summer.

Then Nine will step in and force CA to give Perth good dates for the test. They couldnt give a damn where their only prime time test is. The WACA test is very early this year, 13 November, and is actually the second test on the calender, overtaking Adelaide. Little doubt that was from Nine's pressure considering they want Perth to replace Brisbane as the first test of the summer.
Why are we to be first test of the summer?

Nine's pressure wasn't enough for Perth to even have a Test last season let alone on their preferred dates. Adelaide's Test this year is a day-night and by 2018-19 that could be standard for every city.

Why are we to be first test of the summer?
If it's early enough it would be counted in the official ratings period.

Nine's pressure wasn't enough for Perth to even have a Test last season let alone on their preferred dates. Adelaide's Test this year is a day-night and by 2018-19 that could be standard for every city.

You're right about that, but it was a one off situation. Important to note that both Nine and India wanted a Perth test and for Brisbane to miss out. If it becomes a regular situation you can expect Nine to chuck a stink.

A lot of things 'could' be the case by 2019. The biggest problem for day-night tests right now is that the pink ball is not very good, which is kind of important to the sport.

Nine was assured that Perth missing out would be a one-off.

Also it would be very unlikely going forward that we'll encounter another four test summer again. Standard will be five, occasional six. When it is five then the only other alternative is Tasmania, and no one can really mount a passionate argument that Blundstone Arena should get a test ahead of the WACA, or that Hobart should get one ahead of Perth.

I'd think that Melbourne and Sydney will stay as day Tests due to being during the holidays, but the ones while people are still/back at work it's quite likely. May also depend on time-zone broadcasting into the other country - for example if a D/N Test means less people in India will tune in there's a high chance it won't be a D/N Test.

We are hosting the ICC World Twenty20 in 2020.

That shouldnt cut into our summer much, if at all. Can play double headers and wrap it up in a few weeks.
I believe that's the plan with future WT20s, they want to compress them pretty tight and play 3-4 matches a day. 3-4 weeks absolute max.

It's a problem that isn't going away - the WACA has what I consider the greatest pitch in all of world cricket.

But the stadium that surrounds the ground is ... well it's horrible. It's horrible in almost every possible detail. Every visiting journo seems to write about the WACA as being an ordeal. One memorable comment that I feel I can't argue with is the description of the Inverarity stand as looking intended to host prison football matches with an interior designed to survive a riot.

It's a very depressing state of affairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the brown stuff is about to hit the air-circulation machine. The WACA about to release their long-term vision for what cricket gets moved to the new stadium and what stays at the WACA. Dennis Lillee has just pulled the pin as WACA President rather than go along with the decision.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/waca-president-dennis-lillee-quits-20150902-gjdc3k.html

It is expected that the WACA will move ODIs and domestic T20 to the new stadium, leaving only Tests and Sheffield Shield at the WACA. Which means that the ~20K seating capacity at the WACA will be way oversize for those matches (apart from Ashes Tests once every 4 years). Be interesting to see what their plans will be. But obviously DK is unhappy with it. Will be a tough decision either way, I can see both the financial arguments and the history/tradition of cricket side of it too.

Looks like the brown stuff is about to hit the air-circulation machine. The WACA about to release their long-term vision for what cricket gets moved to the new stadium and what stays at the WACA. Dennis Lillee has just pulled the pin as WACA President rather than go along with the decision.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/waca-president-dennis-lillee-quits-20150902-gjdc3k.html

It is expected that the WACA will move ODIs and domestic T20 to the new stadium, leaving only Tests and Sheffield Shield at the WACA. Which means that the ~20K seating capacity at the WACA will be way oversize for those matches (apart from Ashes Tests once every 4 years). Be interesting to see what their plans will be. But obviously DK is unhappy with it. Will be a tough decision either way, I can see both the financial arguments and the history/tradition of cricket side of it too.

I am pretty sure that Ashes tests will be played at the new stadium too. It would be crazy to miss out on the extra crowds to those games.

I have discussed the drop in pitches concept with a guy that is heavily involved in the stadium construction and he believes that they can emulate the unique WACA pitch. A lot of research has gone into this as part of the process.

I am pretty sure that Ashes tests will be played at the new stadium too. It would be crazy to miss out on the extra crowds to those games.

I have discussed the drop in pitches concept with a guy that is heavily involved in the stadium construction and he believes that they can emulate the unique WACA pitch. A lot of research has gone into this as part of the process.
If they do anything like AO, they'll use same/similar soil etc. Will take a couple years to really bed down but should be able to get a pretty good similarity.

The new stadium is way too big for ODIs in my opinion.

ODI crowds are rarely sold out

But at the same time, it'd be silly to presume that a crowd of x at WACA means a crowd of x at Perth Stadium, given the vast different in amenity quality, seating quality, overhead cover and being on the rail line.

Or you could increase the quality of the WACA amenities. And the WACA will be just over the footbridge anyway.

It is expected that the WACA will move ODIs and domestic T20 to the new stadium, leaving only Tests and Sheffield Shield at the WACA. Which means that the ~20K seating capacity at the WACA will be way oversize for those matches (apart from Ashes Tests once every 4 years).

At which point there's serious financial questions over the merit of maintaining the WACA for just 3 Tests every 4 years. And once people have been to the new stadium they won't be happy about going to the old one just because some people (who probably don't even go to games) think the pitch may be better.

Or you could increase the quality of the WACA amenities.

They've had decades to fix the WACA. It's not going to happen now.

As you say though it wouldn't be maintained in its current form. They'd be able to gut out a lot of stuff it wouldn't need anymore.

But what decision would displease Lillee enough to leave? Surely all Test matches to be played at the new stadium?

WACA should stay for Shield matches only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back