List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even sure we'd take that tho Dram.

Patrick Cripps is the best thing/player/god we could have in our forthcoming rebuild. Could not have asked for a better young leader to build a list around from the ground.
Which is why Carlton would put a price of 4 first round picks on his head if some club came in wanting to acquire him. Especially as he has only just re-signed a contract to take him to 2017 and he wants to sign another extension that will take him to 2019. He wants to stay at the Blues and wants to stick there through thick and thin.

Space Cadet

All Australian
Feb 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I think trying to turn over our list so fast in the last few years has been one of our mistakes. There's only so much quality you can bring in before you get to other clubs rejects and it doesn't help when we don't get anything for half the players we lose.

I'd rather have a slightly more conservative approach: turn Hendo and a later pick (or Brisbane's pick for Bell) into Geelongs first, one of Yarran or Menzel for another top 20 pick and just go into the draft. We then have a couple retirees and 3 or so delistee's (Warnock, Ellard and a rookie?) and we've lost about 7-8 players but bring in 3 first rounders, a couple f/s's and rookies.
I'd prefer we don't trade anyone in unless its a Docherty scenario.

Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I think trying to turn over our list so fast in the last few years has been one of our mistakes. There's only so much quality you can bring in before you get to other clubs rejects and it doesn't help when we don't get anything for half the players we lose.

I'd rather have a slightly more conservative approach: turn Hendo and a later pick (or Brisbane's pick for Bell) into Geelongs first, one of Yarran or Menzel for another top 20 pick and just go into the draft. We then have a couple retirees and 3 or so delistee's (Warnock, Ellard and a rookie?) and we've lost about 7-8 players but bring in 3 first rounders, a couple f/s's and rookies.
Yeah too right.

Bringing in a couple of first rounders and second rounders at the expense of those who don't want to be here will be the bases for our 100 year rebuild.

We shouldn't really have a priority in midfielders or KPP. Just players that fit a rebuilding team. The meat and potatoes I guess (not plodders).

Some of you are saying that we need to go hard in this years draft and get our rebuild off to a flying start.

Come the end of the day, I think that I would prefer to see the club take a more balanced start to the rebuild.

1. Don't trade in fringe players from other clubs... no matter how good they look in the state leagues. Look at Jones for an example of that.
2. If we do trade out players, rate our players according to our requirements. We don't want to get loaded down with 4th or 5th round picks that we will never use.
3. If we are going for picks, late first round or early second round. We got Docherty and Everitt for second round picks a couple of years ago and that went well.

If we allow players like Kreuzer to walk because we are chasing picks in the draft, then this isn't the club that I have supported for the greater majority of my life. People can rabbit on about how good the kid is going to be that we select with pick 3... but what if he isnt... what happens if he ends up like Beau Dowler or Marcus Drum or Mitch Thorp... or even the ex-favourite whipping boy of Carlton supporters virtually everywhere... Kane Lucas?

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the short cut drafting mentality has cost us badly in recent years. We cannot get bargains off other clubs, as they know the quality of what they are giving up better than any outsider can determine. The Liam Jones/Tutt situation is a perfect example. The Dogs had cap space and could have paid them more to stay but they simply did not rate them. We got lucky on Docherty and Everitt but it is rare you will win, and we need to be smarter about this (like the Hawks only buying needs).

Looking at the depth of GWS, SOS has been an absolute genius in selecting AFL Quality footballers through the draft. This is something CFC has never done.

We need to give SOS the time and the draft picks required plus be very patient as the list develops/grows.

SOS needs to add quality around the list we already have to give us a shot at a Flag in 2020. We need to develop what we have to AFL standards in the meantime but remove the players that do not have the skill or will not be there in 2020+.

Dogs show it can be turned around but we need patience and to stop looking for short term fixes. The draft is the way to get A grade talent.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Some of you are saying that we need to go hard in this years draft and get our rebuild off to a flying start.

Come the end of the day, I think that I would prefer to see the club take a more balanced start to the rebuild.

1. Don't trade in fringe players from other clubs... no matter how good they look in the state leagues. Look at Jones for an example of that.
2. If we do trade out players, rate our players according to our requirements. We don't want to get loaded down with 4th or 5th round picks that we will never use.
3. If we are going for picks, late first round or early second round. We got Docherty and Everitt for second round picks a couple of years ago and that went well.

If we allow players like Kreuzer to walk because we are chasing picks in the draft, then this isn't the club that I have supported for the greater majority of my life. People can rabbit on about how good the kid is going to be that we select with pick 3... but what if he isnt... what happens if he ends up like Beau Dowler or Marcus Drum or Mitch Thorp... or even the ex-favourite whipping boy of Carlton supporters virtually everywhere... Kane Lucas?
Agree with most of this, but the World has changed and CFC needs to change also. If that means we let Kruezer go then I will still follow the Blues.

SOS has used picks very well at GWS. If he can continue to draft well he will set us up for a tilt at a flag and if Kruezer has to go to make that happen then I will hate to see it but will accept it.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool

Not so space cadet, Space Cadet...

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the short cut drafting mentality has cost us badly in recent years. We cannot get bargains off other clubs, as they know the quality of what they are giving up better than any outsider can determine. The Liam Jones/Tutt situation is a perfect example.

You're talking about 2 depth players that cost us, in total, pick 46. That's players 37 and 38 on the list, when anyone taken after that had been overlooked 45 times.

Perspective...

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Was that McCarthy talking with Cripps after the game yesterday. Discussions appeared quite amicable between the two.
Hope Pat was selling Blue to Cam.
McCarthy certainly played like someone who already has shipped out (not unlike a couple of Carlton players this season). I forgot he was playing until he had a kick late in the game.

mrbluey

Rookie
Feb 28, 2010
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton

Mate you couldn't have said it any better you are SPOT ON.

Im sick and tired of hearing carlton supporters bang on about trading players like kruz,yaz and walker inorder to get better draft picks. Without the experience of these guys our club mite as well be some vfl amature club.

Id rather pay overs for kruza then let him go we have paid far more for spuds like daisy, walker was a number 2 draft pick who has played out of position and yaz was one of our top picks who has also has been played out of position due to our lack of depth, i truly hope bolton has a good one on one chat with yaz and gives him a chance in the middle or in the forward line. He has pace he has a great kick and with players like walks,cas and our mid he will have his chance to prove the doubters wrong.

Last edited:

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You're talking about 2 depth players that cost us, in total, pick 46. That's players 37 and 38 on the list, when anyone taken after that had been overlooked 45 times.

Perspective...
Agree it is not the only problem, but in hindsight would you have preferred a pick like Caleb Daniel at #46, plus more cap space, plus one other young player on the list with a late draft. Both Jones and Tutt may play more AFL footy with us and offer depth, but drafting them did cost us two chances at players that may or may not have worked out to ultimately be best 22 players. And as we drafted them for 3 years, so that is 2 spots on the list that we cannot use to test another young kid.

andrew_

All Australian
Suspended
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
But in all seriousness, the difference between the players you listed is 2 clearly want to stay at the club and are actually trying, one (Yaz) couldn't care less and has already checked out.

Am I the only one who does not want Carlisle ??

We are abt to get rid of few that chose when they try (Henderson , Yarran , maybe Menzel ) why bring another one of their sort in ??
I am with you TBB, do not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back