Review Positives and Negatives Vs Adelaide (R22)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me like they just conceded after half time, and Simpson just let the boys do whatever they wanted to do; have some fun.

+ Get hungry for September

Disappointing result but no need to throw all the toys out if the cot

For some reason we were collectively down today right across the field against a side that was super switched on and wanted to make a statement. We've had a pretty long stretch of big games since the bye which (Gold Coast aside) we have performed admirably in so I'm hoping today was just a flat spot in a long season

Need to regroup next week against the saints and get the job done to secure 2nd and then and only then look towards finals

Positives:
I wasn't home to watch the game therefore no insurance claims to make
I have beer on tap

Negatives:
I dont buy into 'the loss we had to have' type of rubbish, losing by 10 goals this close to finals is not a good look.

Hopefully we can run around the witches hats next week as a tune up for da Hawks.

Positives: experience for Barrass
we just have to win 3 games at Subi to make the Grand Final.
Like your optimism but have a gut feeling that our injuries maybe have caught up with us. We have outperformed this year of expectations and would not be surprised to see us go out in straight sets. Hope I'm wrong and not trying to be a negative nancy!!

Positive:

could feel this loss coming in a way...tipped Adelaide
Missed the game due to City to Surf

Negatives:

Trying to get back to the city from City Beach...what a joke!
Can't feel my legs right now...genuinely feel like they're about to fall off

POSITIVES
+ Biggest ever crowd for a Crows-Eagles game (that honor previously went to the 06 prelim), and only a couple hundred away from breaking the AO attendance record
+ Irrelevant game
+ People will stop overhyping us now, meaning we can slip under the radar come finals
+ Won't have to travel to Adelaide again this season

NEGATIVES
- Didn't do a particularly good job salvaging the scoreline into something respectable during the final qtr

Like your optimism but have a gut feeling that our injuries maybe have caught up with us. We have outperformed this year of expectations and would not be surprised to see us go out in straight sets. Hope I'm wrong and not trying to be a negative nancy!!
Wow, you don't even have to try to be negative nancy, and yet you perform the role so well. A natural talent!!

We get Schoey, Masto, Wellers and Butler back next week. Saints will get absolutely smashed next week.

I think this week was the week things really snapped in the back line. Not having the two of our defenders that have really stood up this season was always going to make today a hard ask.

Getting them back intact for finals will really help a lot. I would be only bring Schoey back next week if he was tip top to go.

Positive?

We scored one point in the first quarter and didn't end up with this round's lowest score in a quarter all to ourselves. :D

I thought we may very well lose today but not like that. Adelaide were really on.

Apparently Adelaide are regarded as the only genuine contender this year other than Hawthorn and West Coast due to their ability to both score and defend well (as opposed to say, how Freo will have two home finals which may help them scrape into the GF).

Adelaide will be hard to beat in the finals. They have a more robust midfield than us and it showed today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive: I was heavily debating for a few hours whether to watch the game or work on my car, decided to work on my car but was not happy about missing the game, kept checking the score updates online and was rapt i missed it lol

Negative: Gov apparently got injured, anybody know if it was bad or anything?

+
basically broke even last three quarters. If not for rubbish start who knows?
Sheed
Not many teams don't have these kind of losses late in a season, not a bad one to have before finals.
-
Kicking
Let Jenkins have his yearly big game.
Flat Start:mad:
Who did our backmen piss off this year?
As handy as Yoe is down back, need the big body in the middle.
Darling needs to chip in with more goals.

There are still some core issues with our midfield. We're such a noticeably poorer team when NN has a poorer day. This is how it's been for 4 years now. Priddis, despite his improvement under Simpson, still fundamentally has the same issue, in that he's never been able to match it with the very best midfielders. Shuey was okay today but not great, Sheed is still young and whilst very impressive he is still a little ways off, Yeo is stranded playing down back, Gaff had an average one, and so on.

Were we flat? Yes. And it's not necessarily indicative of how we'll go for the rest of the year, but when we've had this exact same issue (NN not giving the mids silver service, the opposing midfield getting on top and us not being able to respond, etc) plague our midfield for 4-5 years now, it's still a worrying sign.

We need another inside mid. Redden is our man!

Positive: I was heavily debating for a few hours whether to watch the game or work on my car, decided to work on my car but was not happy about missing the game, kept checking the score updates online and was rapt i missed it lol

Negative: Gov apparently got injured, anybody know if it was bad or anything?

I saw him at the after match function and he was giving people the thumbs up who asked about his injury. Was just standing there chatting, no bandages or anything. Should be fine!!

We need another inside mid. Redden is our man!
Didn't watch the game, but we broke even in contested possessions and won the clearances. Going off the stats it seems like the problem was our outside run. They smashed us in uncontested ball. Points to one thing..work rate.

I'm not too concerned, just had a flat game. That work rate will be back next week now that we must win for a tip 2. And guaranteed that work rate will be there come finals.

+ve

- Sheed. Despite the usual big footy meltdown proclaiming him a "spud" who couldn't kick after the first handful of games he played. Showed why he was selected at 11 by us. Very strong over the ball, good football brain, lowers the eyes.
- Sheppard. Should be AA imo.
- Newman
- We are a KPD factory. Barass will be a gun.
- Wellers, Schoey and Masten who have ALL been important this year to come back

-ve

- The crying on the match day thread about the umpiring. A non feature.
- X man was poor
- McGovern injury
- Poor kicking and poor decisions.
- We were rattled and could not stop there run on

Kicked all 10 of our goals in two bursts of 5 in a row.
Not sure if positive (can score quick bags) or negative (couldn't score goals against the grain/momentum to keep ourselves in it when they had a run on).

I wouldnt read too much into todays result...
Adelaide have been planning todays payback since we gave them a touch up....we on the other hand are clearly in self preservation mode ....it didnt help Simmo stating
" this may be the week all our outs may hurt us" sends the wrong message to the troops...mentally we were not really switched on from first bounce.
Like us they are a 5-6 goal better team at home..be interesting how we respond next week ..but lets not over react..weve been really good for 90% of the season..enjoy that and move on .. ( stuff all the doomsayers only need 3 home wins & we will play off in the GF this year..very optimistic about that..if this happens from where weve come from it will be the greatest sporting story of this year by far)

We really missed the run of Wellingham, and dare I say it, whatever Masten provides.

I think Masten loss is a big one. We got smashed on the outside w uncontested possessions, spread and coverage. Masten gives this to us in spades because he will always continue to gut run. Is generally good in the first 5 and last 5 mins of quarters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back