List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we had too many tall forwards already?

Wouldn't it be great though, if Lonners could slip back into the forward line and finish his career back where he started?
when he kicked multiple goals and had multiple kidneys?

I would also ask if Lobbe was available as well.
Hinkley on the radio during the week said there would be zero chance of him being traded. He was quite passionate about that too!

Of course. I hope we have a crack at one of the Coast's big men for example.

Of course. I hope we have a crack at one of the Coast's big men for example.
I'd be enquiring on Sinclair... dangle him the carrot of being the number 1 as he will never push NicNat out if that role there

Interesting article in The Age with Thompson commenting on our older players and CS suggesting that uncontracted players already know their future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article in The Age with Thompson commenting on our older players and CS suggesting that uncontracted players already know their future.
I wish he'd shut up to be honest. He walked out on the club 5 years ago and I think when you do that you forfeit your right to comment on list management decisions.

I wish he'd shut up to be honest. He walked out on the club 5 years ago and I think when you do that you forfeit your right to comment on list management decisions.
How about those of us who were never connected with the club? :cool:

I'm not talking s**t in the media. I'm having a chat on a forum. Big difference. :cool:
There are a few people who talk s**t on this forum.

Including yours truly. :cool::cool:

Bomber didn't get to the point where he had to "move on" the 18 year olds he drafted who took him to a premiership. Where would we be if he was in charge and wants them all to go on?

dont know what Bomba really means

surely we can not go on with all these veterans
would he keep Chappy at Essendon if he was still coaching there?

as long as the send off is done with class is what most Cat fans ask

we know this is our chance to rejuvenate the list with with established players from elsewhere and from the draft
an opportunity too good

He is still just looking out for his boys... his argument is that the Hawks/Swans and Freo all are the older teams around

The difference is of course that for the most part their older players are performing at a consistently higher level than our older blokes

Hinkley on the radio during the week said there would be zero chance of him being traded. He was quite passionate about that too!
reiterated on 360 last Thursday night too. Don't think he'll leave.

There are a few people who talk s**t on this forum.

Including yours truly. :cool::cool:
I'm the king of it. But don't have the level of influence that bomber has. Well that's not entirely true, a post of my made the back page of the HUN once :D

I know I was joking, still I hope we're actively look for someone instead of hoping that Vardy and Stanley are enough.

Apart from the hopeful Dangerfield coup, this is surely the big list decision over the off-season; do we acquire another ruckman, and if so, who?

We played some of our best football this year with Stanley and Blicavs sharing the ruck duties, they were mobile and demonstrated there's more than one way to skin a cat, clearing the ball out of the centre without necessarily being particularly competitive at the actual ruck contests.

But there's plainly a huge risk in backing this duo to carry the load for the whole year. Stanley is injury prone, and Blicavs would be best utilised as a midfielder who goes third man up and occasionally relieves in the ruck.

Throw Nathan Vardy into the mix; not overly tall by ruck standard's and has never been a dominant tap ruckman, but he can compete adequately most of the time - doesn't offer quite as much around the ground as the other two at this stage.

Theoretically the three could combine as a relatively mobile and skillful ruck trio, but the risks in relying on Stanley and Vardy given their injury history are surely too great without bringing in some insurance, otherwise you're potentially leaving too much to fall on Blicavs shoulders, when he'd be better suited elsewhere.
And sometimes the trade-off of losing the hit-outs to gain an advantage at ground level just doesn't pay off, anyway.

There is already some rookie list support in the shape of Tom Read and Paidrag Lucey; Read will still be in development for at least all of 2016 and possibly longer; Lucey is probably close to being physically mature enough to contribute but he's still on a steep learning curve. So the 'support' is of a limited, emergency-only sort.

But if we want to trade for a decent established ruckman then we're looking at giving up a lot of cash (which may not be available if Dangerfield is the priority) and high draft picks - otherwise we're going to be settling for a mediocre big man.

The draft option is an even murkier, young ruckmen typically take a long time to develop and identifying the talented ones early enough is seemingly a difficult art.

It's a conundrum; personally I wish Wells had the luxury of identifying the best young ruck talents in the country and taking a stab at drafting and developing one rather than the club contracting a mature-but-limited ruckman.
But I reckon the less-desirable option may be the most realistic one in this case; the current ruck division needs more immediate bolstering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back