BDAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeffy33

Draftee
Mar 20, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Not to sure if people are still using or reading this thread in the hunter, but I occasionally like to pop on and read peoples thought on the season and whats happening around other clubs.

Terrigal from the little I've heard haven't lost many and will be at the top again and seriously hard to beat. I think the question will be where will Cardiff, Killarney Vale and Warners Bay be on the ladder after a few rounds. Have City found a coach or will they go against what they said they would prefer not to do again and have a Player/Coach all season.

The women's comp is a positive and something that's been coming for a while. Hopefully its succeeds and players from the other codes see and make the move across.

only a little traffic on the transfers so far.

You wouldnt be considered crazy for betting a stack of $$$ on Terrigal taking the chocolates again this year. Killarney Vale may very well take 2nd spot again. City and Cardiff to continue winning more than games than losing.

The lower divisions have proved successful. Good to see the growth continuing and great signs if a womens comp can get up and running.
Having Garry B at the helm for another season is only a good thing. That bloke is just so good for the game, no matter where he sets up office.

Sad to hear Singo struggling again but at least the club can continue playing in the lower grades.

Looking forward to watching a few games on BarTV again in 2015.

I used to check in here a bit to see what the talk was across the league.

I'd agree with Terrigal looking the goods again. Sounds like they've had a couple of solid trials against Sydney teams. They'll probably be followed by the Bombers and City again. Hopefully the Bay can keep improving and get a finals spot this year.

Shame about Singo dropping back a division, but if it's gonna help them be competitive then so be it. Sounds like they've lost quite a few players. Hopefully they go ok in 1st div.

1st and 2nd div will be interesting. Can Wyong go b2b? Or can one of the other clubs 'first grade' teams step up ie. Maitland, Lake Mac. City and Terrigal will be strong through 3 grades again I'd say.

Have heard rumors that city wont be as strong this year, havent had there usual influx of players.

Singleton will be interesting to see who turns out for them round 1. Has been whispers of massive quality losses.

See div 1 being a more interesting competition than prems this year!

Killarny Vale bombed out today in all grades. Early days yet but they'll need to get back on their bike to guarantee the double cherry bite at finals.
The dogs have a habit of biting the unaware it would seem. They knocked City off last year....

TA still dominating. Although they've had at least one major injury so perhaps the armour has been chinked even marginally.
Wyong looking good in the 1st division.
3rd's could be 3rd time lucky for TA. Got some experienced heads running around that would have played a lot of footy together over the past decade.

Honestly thought with only 6 teams this year that it could be the year that warners bay didn't manage to win a game! But after watching them on the weekend im sure they could knock a few more over before the seasons done!

Still hard to go past terrigal past terrigal at this stage. Even if they have to bring back Goolagong as the new route to goals!! Honestly though the depth at the club they will manage without betson.

The div 1 is still open at this stage in my eyes. Wyong have done well so far, could have been very close against lake mac if it wasnt for the sheer number of behinds lake mac kicked.
Maitland also have there tails in the air, but will there over reliance on beard bite them as in other years? At least 6 of the clubs in this grade could make finals, and who knows what will happen once they're there!

Haven't seen alot of div 2. But caught the lake mac bateau bay game and was fairly impressed by both sides. The lake mac side was full of youth and run which got it done for them in the end, and at this level could be the key ingredients to go all the way!

AFL in the region appears to be in great shape. The 3rds comp stacked full of teams and now the womens comp coming online. Unfortunately I'm no long in the area to really enjoy the opportunity to play but watching from afar I'm impressed. The one negative is the premier div only consisting of 6 teams. That is something that has been consistent for many decades though. I don't recall there being over 6 teams that were competitive in first grade. Anyone out of the top 4 were normally easy beats for the teams above them. Having bulk numbers running around in the lower grades at least provides a pathway, hopefully within 10 years the premier division can expand again.

Yet again I tip my hat to Garry B and the team. BarTV coverage is fantastic. The website is regularly updated and the new "Where are they now" feature is great reading.

Well done BDAFL

I feel like the new Noodles, replying to my own posts.
TA -- the club is in very sweet position now. All 3 grades appear set to play finals and yet again the prized Premier division cup has already started to be engraved. They would need to lose a lot of talent through injury to not take this years flag.

Their 2nd and 3rd Div are also looking the goods to front up on GF day. Good work from one of the original powerhouse central coast clubs.

City continuing a good run. Also likely to have multiple teams on the last day and good chance for consolation prize. The girls team can celebrate with the boys as they look to claim the inaugural comp.

The big surprise is the lack of success for Cardiff. I guess there's still time for them to make it to finals in the premier comp but they're starting to run out of tickets. All things come to an end but you need to tip your hat to their prolonged period of success. Lost a lot of big dances in their time though. I bet that navy blue jumper gives some of the cheese and beetroots nightmares.

Another good couple of reads for "Where are they now".
Steve May would have to have the most calloused elbows in the league, consistently upheld the dogs reputation for cheap shots and grubby play. Aside from that, did well to keep throwing the elbow right through til 47.

Woodcoe on the other hand, born champion.

Congratulations Leigh Anderson on chalking up some impressive numbers with the Dogs. Been a very competitive player over a couple decades now, well done mate. I could be wrong but I think he may go against the grain of most of his team mates (especially from the 90's) and have a clean sheet as far as indiscretions or suspensions go.

Just the one last home and away game for the season. I would have slapped you silly if you told me Cardiff would collect the spoon. Still it's not like pre 97 days for the cheese and beetroots when they were regularly pumped by more than 100pts. I'm not inside the club but they can still say they gave a contest during every match and had a few very close losses. Nothing to be ashamed of and thankfully they are still contributing 3 teams which is a great effort considering the crap they've been through with home grounds.

KV did cause a huge boilover in 2007 to steal the cup from City but this year it's going to take a few injuries to TA, a wet day and a 2007 KV like determination and focus to prevent a 3 peat performance from a side that just keeps getting better.

TA 2013-15 side v Cardiff 2002-5 who would you pick?

...Noodles you out there??just me and the crickets in here (probably better than everyone is either playing or watching the game rather than s**t stirring on a forum)

Killarney still have to get to the GF first...
Best team? I'd say City 2008-2011

Elliot Davey winner hard to go past Webster, although Brendan Lewis is a smokey

Miksmif, what I meant was actually City need to do a KV 2007 to TA and we now know it's possible after the weekends result. I think City have the firepower to get to the big dance this year. They have it up against them, TA were convincing winners in the 2 previous games. Now they need to beat them twice to get the cup back from the coast.

KV and the Dogs. Maybe the bombers have more class and will be able to get over the line by 3-4 goals.

No Hawks in finals at all this year. * big slap in the face for the club after over a decade of being a major player in the finals, throw in a healthy reap of premierships in ones and twos. Their home ground situation is a deadset disgrace though and the government are pathetic. How long has maneela park sat there, boarded up but with zilch progress?

Deadset disgrace. Cardiff had the right to continue using that ground and who knows what may have been. Many of us probably don't see an issue because they were such a force in the league but their committee must have been through the wringer trying to sort the various bun fights to get hold of somewhere to play their home matches.

I'm in no hurry to see them win another premiership but they deserve a decent ground for their exclusive use.

Yeah City from 08-11 were very handy. Had some classic clashes with Cardiff to win the silverware through those years. It's a wonder anyone from City hate Cardiff.....the Blues have taken more premierships away from the Hawks then any other club.

Hawks and Marlins just before the turn of the millennium weren't too shabby either. How the Marlins won the 99 GF I'll never know.

Now these finals fixtures. Very creative indeed. Bet the players aren't thrilled about Sunday footy, for that is the day of the lord and all that rubbish. Still the league is making it work so hope it all runs smoothly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miss read the 07' reference...City match up well against terrigal...

Cardiff need a home ground no doubt, I don't think we'll ever see them at maneela again. Hopefully the powers that be find them a home of their own soon

KV will be too strong for for Warners I think by 36
TA to beat City by 28

I don't mind a Sunday game..I think it's worse that TA & City have to play at 12:30

99' I was still playing U/12s haha

My biggest gripe is that we have 6 teams playing prems. Heard someone mention the league is looking at having 4 divs in the near future, in my mind it's rewarding mediocrity

1 down 1 to go for the mighty Blues. I haven't had a chance to watch the replay but looking at the team sheets briefly and the score, well done City. Really hard to see TA not getting another crack in 2 weeks time. City is primed for the upset premiership. That's exactly what it'll be if they can make it happen.

KV whooped the dogs. I'm surprised to see that scoreline but can see how the wheels fall off being on the end of a massive scoreline in a semi final myself. Mitch Knight will have to clean the whiteboard and start again if the Bombers do manage to upset TA.

City also featuring in at least one other GF and still in the hunt to feature in all games. I can't recall a team that has ever managed even the double let alone triffecta. Very strong club for a very long time. If anyone can do it they can.

Congratulations to EBB and making it through. Good result.
Also to Lake Macquarie. That club has only a handful of finals appearances since 1998 when they started being the competition whipping boys. In and out of the top division, countless beltings but they keep coming back which is a credit to the club. With the option to go play for the dogs or Cardiff or even City for that matter they'd done well to hang onto some decent players.

City are the champions of that 3rd grade comp. This would be the 3rd cup on the trot. Didn't take long for the club to build that side after really battling the first year. Lake Macquarie will be up against some serious experience in that side, guys that have played in a few premierships and a lot of senior footy.

So why not play the guessing game
Premier = TA
1st Div = TEBB
2nd Div = City

As for 4 divisions, yeah woeful idea.

I shall correct myself with the predictions
Premier = TA
1st Div = City
2nd Div = City

No club has done the double and most definitely not the triple let alone a full quad. Seems to a lower grade curse somewhat, if you win the minor/s then the seniors go home empty handed.

On paper all 3 games will be close contests.
Both City and TEBB have some experience in their line up. Blokes that can still play. City's 3rd big dance in a row. Maybe a bit more settled and have the personnel to get it done on home soil.

1st Div very hard to call. Toss a coin. City, again on home soil with home crowd cheering them on maybe just enough. 19pts in the end

The main game. Thankfully the 2 best teams are on the park. It's wide open now. City have shown they can beat anyone and more importantly have knocked off the panthers twice now. TA have their better team available for the big one. Just think they have enough class to edge ahead then keep a cool head when the going gets real tough. Just quietly, I'd prefer to be wrong on this occasion and for the Blues to claim premiership #7.

Tough to be right but TA are the premier team for the second year in a row. A three peat looks just as likely as this time last year.
I loved the fact that the journo didn't censor Bishop's quote on his re jigged approach to the game "I'd would have looked like a real dickhead if it didnt't work", nice work Newcastle Herald.

1 cup heads to the coast and 3 cups attempt to find space in City's cramped trophy cabinet. Hard to believe it's been so long since their ressies have claimed the big one, 2007 being the last time they got their hands on the silverware.

The right teams played on the day as reflected by the scorelines, TEBB let the experienced Blues put a few more on the board to make it look flattering but otherwise bridesmaides had enough composure to stay in the game and not let things blow out.

Another year that has seen aussie rules grow in the Hunter region, but we're still seeing clubs battling. Singo are keeping their head above water. Must be tough out those parts with the mining downturn, more shipping out then coming in. I found it strange that Brassington transferred to Cardiff but then came back again mmmmm chasing glory with the wrong mob or just too much of a geographical stretch?

Lake Macquarie now enter their 16th year with only a solitary grand final appearance. Yet again they need to be congratulated for sticking fat and continuing to turn out. Hopefully they can hold onto all their juniors and continue to grow the club.

I wonder when the tides will turn. Cardiff experiencing their downturn now with no teams present for finals and collecting a seniors spoon. Mick Ryan was always the barometer for the Hawks and with each passing year becomes less effective. Obviously the bloke loves playing footy so should pull on the boots again but perhaps will be more of a weapon in the lower grades. At the moment he's still required in the ones.

Will it be another 10 years before the Dockers start moving and shaking? Maitland have started off their foray into the league nicely and should continue to grow, perhaps they'll get into the top comp within 3 years.

Next year the top grade is likely to remain the same. In fact team wise, all 3 grades should be identical. How can the top tier expand though is my question? You'd be best mates with your opposition by season's end especially City and TA rosters seeing each other every second week.

Maitland Saints are seeking coaches for both their senior and reserve grade teams for the 2016 Black Diamond AFL season.

Maitland currently participate in the 1st & 2nd Division competitions of the Black Diamond AFL (www.bdafl.com.au) and despite only being in existence as a senior club for four years, their senior team have a formidable record in that they have never failed to make the finals. In 2015 they were defeated in the Preliminary Final.

The club has a number of juniors progressing through to senior football and the applicants would need to be able to demonstrate an ability to develop these youngsters into senior footballers.

Maitland is a fast developing area which augers well for the future of the Maitland Saints FC.

The successful applicants must hold, or be prepared to obtain, a minimum of Level 1 coaching accreditation.

Any queries or applications to seniorpres@maitlandsaints.org.au by 9 October 2015.

Last edited:
Bloody big footy wouldn't let me sign in,wrong password etc..... anyways whats happening in bdafl land???
There will not be a 3rd div (well not next year anyway) straight from Garry B altho I would like to see what happens with the excess players at City?? There were quite a few that couldnt get a run GF day due to being 'dropped' from 2nd div, very powerful club!!!

Yes congrats to Gossy coming back to bdafl,again I knew this was happening (spent the day with their new pres and other coaches at Swans recently) it was just a matter of 'who' was coming back. There were elements that wanted to stay in Sydney etc so we now have their best men available as opposed to split, so they should be very competitive in Div 2!! Think they were neck and neck with Batto in a trial early in the year.

They will put in a 'development' side in the BDAFL womens comp (with most coming from Woy Woy's gun youth girls) and their top side in Sydney div 1. I think to be honest both will struggle (unless there are 2 divs in BDAFL womens) as the step up is huge!! Likewise in Sydney would be very surprised if they competed with the big girls!! (but happy to be proven wrong)

Bloody big footy wouldn't let me sign in,wrong password etc..... anyways whats happening in bdafl land???
There will not be a 3rd div (well not next year anyway) straight from Garry B altho I would like to see what happens with the excess players at City?? There were quite a few that couldnt get a run GF day due to being 'dropped' from 2nd div, very powerful club!!!

Noodles welcome back but you're f#$ken fishing aren't ya with a statement that there will be no Div3 next year. Why the hell wouldn't there be?
12 team division...excess players at City.....and the rest. Anyway I would be massively surprised if the 3rds was dropped.

Noodles welcome back but you're f#$ken fishing aren't ya with a statement that there will be no Div3 next year. Why the hell wouldn't there be?
12 team division...excess players at City.....and the rest. Anyway I would be massively surprised if the 3rds was dropped.

Hey mate, thanks for the welcome back! Think we might have our wires crossed tho ( I was referring to 3rd Div) as in a new grade which has been mentioned around the traps lol so in essence there would be 4 mens grades instead of the current 3. The amount of players at City's disposal is incredable tho!!! They have thought about an extra team for some time now (before winning 2nd Div for the third year in a row!)

The amount of teams (clubs involved) will be interesting for next year, as some clubs seemed to struggle with there lower grades,and this is could be offset with the return of Gosford to the BDAFL.

My latest/current involvement has been with womens football (both senior and junior), as this has been a great addition to our local football environment. On this point we would love to get to the stage of having enough teams for 2 Divs (and giving City or Warners ) the opportunity for 2 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back