Congratulations Fremantle FC for winning their first piece of league silverware

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess it's just more evidence that the "Perth travelling factor" is highly overrated?
Its certainly overrated in the "Bulldogs will struggle against North because they are travelling back from Perth" sense. What is probably underrated is the difficulty when you have to do it every second week to continue performing as Freo have this year.

In some competitions coming top of the ladder is THE prize. Why not award the achievement?

The minor premiership used to be regarded as an achievement but the unfair nature of the fixture these days has seen an end to that. If everyone played everyone twice the team which finished top could rightly be considered champions and a finals series wouldn't even be needed. Freo have been the most consistent side this year and for that are worthy of congratulations. They have beaten the teams they should ( unlike my mob who have somehow lost four games to non finalists ) and have given themselves every possible hope of winning the only true prize in the AFL.

Its certainly overrated in the "Bulldogs will struggle against North because they are travelling back from Perth" sense. What is probably underrated is the difficulty when you have to do it every second week to continue performing as Freo have this year.

Where is the evidence of this "difficulty" when Perth teams continue to perform above average in the AFL and have no problems with players having really long careers

Should do away with a trophy for the minor premier. Meaningless.

Actually, we should adopt the English Premier League model. Best win/loss ratio over the whole year should win the premiership as that side has earned it not in one single game but over 22 games.

Actually, we should adopt the English Premier League model. Best win/loss ratio over the whole year should win the premiership as that side has earned it not in one single game but over 22 games.
That is the best way in reality but we need to have 34 rounds for that to work.

That is the best way in reality but we need to have 34 rounds for that to work.

Or have each side play each other side once. 17 rounds with 2 byes in between.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure to get into a grand final you have to earn it...

I agree but the current finals system allows top 4 to lose a game and still be with a chance of the flag. So the finals system is good enough.

rocky-iv-clap-o.gif

I'd like to take this thread at face value but we all know that's not how it was intended.

I wonder if we'll release a DVD to mark the occasion. We could even release another one showing our streak of wins early in the season.

Quality riposte.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back