AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can understand an integrity issue with tanking. But telling top teams they can't rest players before finals is going much too far. Freo have earnt their right to rest players by finishing more than a game clear on top before the final round.
In this case there's no effect on other ladder positions or other finalists so surely the AFL will see reason here??
But really the rule shouldn't apply to this scenario at all. So what if another club was "lucky" or "unlucky" because a top team let a game slide at the end? there's so much luck involved anyway it's not funny - you might as well legislate that the weather has to be the same for every game each week, or that teams playing away more than 1000 miles get a 4 goal handicap??
What about the integrity of taking away a team's right to rest players even though they have earnt it all season with hard work and good play winning games? Not fair! (and obviously I'm not a Freo supporter).

There is a difference between resting a couple and resting your entire side though. Personally I have zero problem with it, Freo have earnt the right, however I see the AFL's point of view.

Can't see the issue anyway. What's going to make for a better game - Freo's finest going at 10% (to avoid injury), or Freo's kids going at 100%?

Neither actually. Will be a Port Adelaide training run. Ross will tell his best 22 players that are left in the team to take it very careful and keep their eye clearly on next week.

I can see the AFL's point of view and they can get stuffed. :thumbsu:

No issue but I see the AFL and broadcaster's point of view. As I said, if you earnt the right, you can play who you want. It is no different to us 'managing' Buddy today. He was fine. Game was done, rest him.

Neither actually. Will be a Port Adelaide training run. Ross will tell his best 22 players that are left in the team to take it very careful and keep their eye clearly on next week.

The positive is...Port were great odds 2 weeks ago, and it is good for my account I must say lol

The positive is...Port were great odds 2 weeks ago, and it is good for my account I must say lol

Got on a great little multi at just over 8:1 for Port (v Freo), Hawthorn (v Carlton), Sydney (v Gold Coast) and West Coast (v Sydney) to all win by 40+ and Bulldogs to beat Brisbane.

There's no rule against us resting as many players as we want this week. The so-called 'Freo rule' doesn't actually apply to anything we've done under Lyon.

Articles like the one on the AFL site know full well the rule as they describe it doesn't apply to our situation, but they use ambiguous language for clickbait purposes to try make it sound like there *could* be an issue.

The amended rule, No. 29, 'To Perform on One's Merits', reads: "(It) means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one's ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives.

"For the avoidance of doubt "legitimate competitive objective" includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries but does not include improving a club’s draft position, improving a club's position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better to rest players and hand Port a win, than risk players injury wise against a side who would love nothing more than to beat up a finalist in their last game.

RE tanking, I think the draft order should not include counting the last few games of the season. Only a very poor team would be in a position to start tanking before the last 5 or so games and they would need the picks anyway. That way we can do away with the oppressive integrity rule altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back