General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Microsoft Photos in Windows 10 sucks, what's a good free photo viewer app? just something basic I'd like.

Hey guys, I'm experiencing connection issues with my wifi modem. Everytime I logon to my PS4 or attempt to use my wifi via my Iphone I keep getting no connection.

The internet light turns from green to red. If I turn the PS4 off or my phone back to G4 within a couple of minutes the stupid thing works again... anyone know what could be happening here? I'm pretty sure there's an interference of some kind but I've had the same setup for 12 months now will no problem ever in the past. Will give Telstra a call tomorrow but any help throughout today would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I'm experiencing connection issues with my wifi modem. Everytime I logon to my PS4 or attempt to use my wifi via my Iphone I keep getting no connection.

The internet light turns from green to red. If I turn the PS4 off or my phone back to G4 within a couple of minutes the stupid thing works again... anyone know what could be happening here? I'm pretty sure there's an interference of some kind but I've had the same setup for 12 months now will no problem ever in the past. Will give Telstra a call tomorrow but any help throughout today would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

You'll probably need to log into the modems config page and check it out, it might also pay to find a "wifi analyser" app for your phone and see if there's another signal interfering with it. It could also be a modem fault so if it's a Telstra device it's probably worth calling them and getting them to walk you through a few things to check it out properly.

You'll probably need to log into the modems config page and check it out, it might also pay to find a "wifi analyser" app for your phone and see if there's another signal interfering with it. It could also be a modem fault so if it's a Telstra device it's probably worth calling them and getting them to walk you through a few things to check it out properly.

Thanks mate yeah all sorted.. well the Telstra side of thing they're coming to check on this arvo :)

Anyone upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a system dual booted with Linux?

Did a bit of Googling today and it looks like if the system has UEFI Firmware installed then the upgrade should be sweet. This laptop doesn't. It's got GRUB installed on a Master Boot Record. There are a lot of conflicting reports on Stack Overflow etc. as to what can happen.

I think I might be best to leave it as is.

Anyone upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a system dual booted with Linux?

Did a bit of Googling today and it looks like if the system has UEFI Firmware installed then the upgrade should be sweet. This laptop doesn't. It's got GRUB installed on a Master Boot Record. There are a lot of conflicting reports on Stack Overflow etc. as to what can happen.

I think I might be best to leave it as is.

Not sure about that one, you might be better off grabbing the Media Creation tool, downloading the ISO, and starting from scratch.

I think you have to upgrade to Windows 10 first to get the key though don't you so a fresh install won't work in getting the free copy of Windows 10?

A problem has just arisen for me. When I click on a thread, it doesn't go to the first unread post, just the top of the page. Is there a setting that has changed? I am running IE 11. Thanks.

is anyone able to provide an alternative to tapatalk to post quick on here from smart phone?

Not sure whether to start a new thread about this. Got an issue which might be easy for someone.
We have iinet as our ISP. We were supplied a mobile WiFi hotspot. iinet tell us that they use the Optus Network.
Now, where we are, no matter where we place the hotspot in the house, we get no more than one bar (out of five) of reception signal.
(If we take it with us 15 minutes to the nearest towns, reception improves to four or five bars.)
WiFi range from the hotspot is beyond pathetic.
I also have an old Optus prepaid broadband mobile hotspot.
When I set that up and buy some credit, I have five bars of reception anywhere in the house and its WiFi range is great.
Now, given that iinet customer service is as bad as the WiFi range of its hotspot, and that I still have 11 miserable months left on my contract:
Would it be of any use for me to buy an unlocked mobile hotspot,and chuck the iinet sim card in it (In the hope its antenna picks up a better signal, and that its WiFi range is better) ?
Obviously, I run the risk of forking out $$ for the same result that I already have.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure whether to start a new thread about this. Got an issue which might be easy for someone.
We have iinet as our ISP. We were supplied a mobile WiFi hotspot. iinet tell us that they use the Optus Network.
Now, where we are, no matter where we place the hotspot in the house, we get no more than one bar (out of five) of reception signal.
(If we take it with us 15 minutes to the nearest towns, reception improves to four or five bars.)
WiFi range from the hotspot is beyond pathetic.
I also have an old Optus prepaid broadband mobile hotspot.
When I set that up and buy some credit, I have five bars of reception anywhere in the house and its WiFi range is great.
Now, given that iinet customer service is as bad as the WiFi range of its hotspot, and that I still have 11 miserable months left on my contract:
Would it be of any use for me to buy an unlocked mobile hotspot,and chuck the iinet sim card in it (In the hope its antenna picks up a better signal, and that its WiFi range is better) ?
Obviously, I run the risk of forking out $$ for the same result that I already have.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have you tried switching the SIM cards over to see if the problem follows? It'll help work out whether it's an issue with the ISP or the device, and it sounds like they may not actually carrier lock these devices so you should be able to test it. Check your coverage here too: http://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/mobile-office/mobile-phone/coverage-maps.html

I'm guessing it's just a coverage issue, it shouldn't surprise me if iiNet don't have full access to the Optus network. If you call up and explain the issue and tell them you've tested with another device on Optus they might just let you out of your contract. Another option is that you might be able to buy an external antenna to improve the signal.

Have you tried switching the SIM cards over to see if the problem follows? It'll help work out whether it's an issue with the ISP or the device, and it sounds like they may not actually carrier lock these devices so you should be able to test it. Check your coverage here too: http://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/mobile-office/mobile-phone/coverage-maps.html

I'm guessing it's just a coverage issue, it shouldn't surprise me if iiNet don't have full access to the Optus network. If you call up and explain the issue and tell them you've tested with another device on Optus they might just let you out of your contract. Another option is that you might be able to buy an external antenna to improve the signal.

Swapped sim cards over.
iinet hotspot says "No Sim" when Optus sim is inserted.
Currently sitting here with iinet sim card inserted in the Optus hotspot. The Optus sim card is sitting on the table.
And every device in the house says I'm connected to Optus.
WTF ?

Swapped sim cards over.
iinet hotspot says "No Sim" when Optus sim is inserted.
Currently sitting here with iinet sim card inserted in the Optus hotspot. The Optus sim card is sitting on the table.
And every device in the house says I'm connected to Optus.
WTF ?

That's probably just the name of the device, not the carrier it's on.
What's the signal strength like?

Any ideas on this....

My laptop screen is playing up. I connected a TV via HDMI the other day and now very intermittently the display gets random lines down it for a split second, even when the TV is not connected. This never happened at all prior to connecting this TV.

I'm running Ubuntu and running X server for the display.

I've seen HDMI connections * with laptop displays before but I don't understand why there would be an issue once the screen disconnects.

This isn't a screnshot of my computer but a similar issue to what happens. It'll happen for not even a second then return to normal. My problem is, it's gone from happening once or twice a day, to once or twice an hour now... I'm wondering if this is just going to keep getting worse.

linese-top-to-bottom.jpg

I usually reinstall Ubuntu every six months or so and it's been about that long, so maybe I'll just re-install.

Any ideas on this....

My laptop screen is playing up. I connected a TV via HDMI the other day and now very intermittently the display gets random lines down it for a split second, even when the TV is not connected. This never happened at all prior to connecting this TV.

I've seen HDMI connections **** with laptop displays before but I don't understand why there would be an issue once the screen disconnects.

This isn't a screnshot of my computer but a similar issue to what happens. It'll happen for not even a second then return to normal. My problem is, it's gone from happening once or twice a day, to once or twice an hour now... I'm wondering if this is just going to keep getting worse.

linese-top-to-bottom.jpg

I usually reinstall Ubuntu every six months or so and it's been about that long, so maybe I'll just re-install.
Dodgy cable that's shorted something maybe?

If you were super keen and had some other LVDS driving device you could pull the whole thing apart, remove the panel, plug it into the other driver (another laptop or TV main board or little LVDS controller board off ebay or something) and see if the issue goes away. If it does at least that confirms the panel is ok.

A reinstall is quite a bit easier though.

Any ideas on this....

I've seen HDMI connections **** with laptop displays before but I don't understand why there would be an issue once the screen disconnects.

linese-top-to-bottom.jpg

My guess would be that's a hardware issue opposed to a software one, leave it sitting on the BIOS screen and see if it still happens.

Cheers lads. I have a feeling it's a hardware issue as well which would be most annoying.

The problem is still there but it's not getting any worse over the last 48 hours.

Will keep an eye on it.

I'll go through and read a few threads on here shortly, but if anyone knows a solution I'd be appreciative.

Just upgraded to Win 10 and I cannot get access to the internet. I can detect and connect to my network, but not externally. Get a message saying:

the device or resource (web proxy) cannot accept connection on port 21320.

Thoughts, comments and step by step instructions are accepted....

Cheers.

Hey guys, thought I'd turn to the BigFooty community for help on this one. I'm looking at finding an editing software/program for my computer that changes people's faces and replaces them with imported photos.

The Greenfield Post has inspired me to make something for a project. I've used programs such as Adobe Premiere and Windows Movie Maker, so I have a bit of experience with video editing programs.

I've made a few Google searches with limited success, so I was wondering if anyone here has used a program to swap faces? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back