Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Lavington can win it. Penda returned on the weekend and they have performed well recently with Saker and Kosi out as well.
Murray from Raiders, Kelly from Wang and Seiter from Dogs are all smokeys for the medal.
If Nick Holman from NA didn't get suspended ( which was a joke) I reakon he would be a smokey. Will pole well.
When it comes to the crunch Albury and Lavington are the two best sides in the Ovens & Murray and they will play in the decider.

So its confirmed tonight that Fev won't be at Yarrawonga next year, love him or hate him, I think he has been great for the comp over the past four years, my kids still love watching him play...

Deer Park apparently amongst the favourites to get his signature

With Fev gone will Ednie and Pettiffer stay? That's 3 huge outs if they go. Yarra will have to work hard to climb back up the ladder. Hopefully they make a huge dent in the finals race. Lavi winning against Albury was huge but can they do it when it counts? Not sure how much the Irish pair are getting but it must be enough to sign on for next year. With finals can Raiders handle the pressure? Still have a young side but plenty of older heads. I'm going with Albury V Lavi GF.

With Fev gone will Ednie and Pettiffer stay? That's 3 huge outs if they go. Yarra will have to work hard to climb back up the ladder. Hopefully they make a huge dent in the finals race. Lavi winning against Albury was huge but can they do it when it counts? Not sure how much the Irish pair are getting but it must be enough to sign on for next year. With finals can Raiders handle the pressure? Still have a young side but plenty of older heads. I'm going with Albury V Lavi GF.

Ednie will drop down to Murray or Picola league surely. They will throw huge cash at him.

Ednie will drop down to Murray or Picola league surely. They will throw huge cash at him.
Ednie has been offered a small fortune by Wahgunyah in the Tallangatta Comp before, and I'm pretty sure there are still a few Yarra guys there.
Pets will play for Kyabram in the GVFL or has very close ties with Nathalia in the Murray league.

I'm sure it's no secret that Yarra's money flow has well and truly run out. They have some good kids coming through which will all hopefully hang around, and they start the build from there.
Good luck to them.

Ednie has been offered a small fortune by Wahgunyah in the Tallangatta Comp before, and I'm pretty sure there are still a few Yarra guys there.
Pets will play for Kyabram in the GVFL or has very close ties with Nathalia in the Murray league.

I'm sure it's no secret that Yarra's money flow has well and truly run out. They have some good kids coming through which will all hopefully hang around, and they start the build from there.
Good luck to them.

Would Ednie be interested in the co-coaching position that Fev just vacated?

Good luck to them.
Yarra will have to rebuild. Not sure if they can land a big fish next year but money always plays a big part in that. Ednie would get a small fortune from any other club but he probably deserves it. He's been loyal to Yarra so why not make abit extra.

A quick look at which clubs are represented in the finals

Albury 7 - every netball and footy
Lavi 6 - All but 3rds
North 6 - All but 2's
Wodonga 5 - 1's and 16's missing out
Raiders 4 - No 3rds footy or A and B netty
Yarra 4 - 2's, C and 16's both finished 6th
Wang 3 - 1's, A, B and C missing

Neither Corowa, Rovers or Myrtleford have a team in the finals. Between them they collected every wooden spoon with Myrtleford taking all 3 footy spoons and A grade netball, Corowa took the B Grade and U16's and Rovers the C Grade.

Lavi 6 - All but 3rds
North 6 - All but 2's

Neither Corowa, Rovers or Myrtleford have a team in the finals. Between them they collected every wooden spoon with Myrtleford taking all 3 footy spoons and A grade netball, Corowa took the B Grade and U16's and

Lavi 6 - All but 3rds
North 6 - All but 2's

Neither Corowa, Rovers or Myrtleford have a team in the finals. Between them they collected every wooden spoon with Myrtleford taking all 3 footy spoons and A grade netball, Corowa took the B Grade and U16's and Rovers the C Grade.
Pretty good effort from North considering where they were at in January of last year.

Worrying signs for Corowa and Myrtleford?

Corowa and Myrtleford are always going to struggle with depth...

Went and had a look at Raiders and yarrawonga yesterday, and was really disappointed with what I saw from raiders, Yarra completely shut them down and didnt allow their runners any time or space...

One Positive was the return of Jydon Neagle, short of a gallop, but was good yesterday amd got through ok.....

j reckon Sundays game at Wangaratta is gonna be a beauty, If Yarra can shut Norths runners down they are a big chance...

Corowa and Myrtleford are always going to struggle with depth...

Went and had a look at Raiders and yarrawonga yesterday, and was really disappointed with what I saw from raiders, Yarra completely shut them down and didnt allow their runners any time or space...

One Positive was the return of Jydon Neagle, short of a gallop, but was good yesterday amd got through ok.....

j reckon Sundays game at Wangaratta is gonna be a beauty, If Yarra can shut Norths runners down they are a big chance...
New territory for most of the North team with not many players having experienced finals before. They will need to be a lot better than they were on the weekend. Yarrawonga still has some top end players who know how to win finals. Will be a big test for both sides.
Do you think the raiders game style will hold up come September?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are peoples views on how the points cap system will affect the O&M? It seems a bit unfair on guys who want to move clubs for reasons other than money which will have more impact on clubs. Also, teams lower on the ladder will have less ability to bring in recruits to try and climb up the ladder.

What are peoples views on how the points cap system will affect the O&M? It seems a bit unfair on guys who want to move clubs for reasons other than money which will have more impact on clubs. Also, teams lower on the ladder will have less ability to bring in recruits to try and climb up the ladder.

What it will do is make clubs develop their kids more and if they can keep them in the system their points will be lower so they can afford to go and find a couple of recruits.

Im a massive fan of the concept of a poi ts system. But from what i have been reading on the issue, it seems that the damage has already been done. The worst offened of the mercenary movement has already "laundered" their stars to minimum points.
Ie Polo + O'Hailpin × 2 will be worth the same as thirds kid playing up or a seconds battler who cracks a senior game.
Each year their points have gone down but to this point their ability certainly hasnt! This is just one massive flaw i see in the system as it stands

What it will do is make clubs develop their kids more and if they can keep them in the system their points will be lower so they can afford to go and find a couple of recruits.
I agree, but in reality it's not as simple. We live in a rural area, clubs will work hard to develop their youth then see them move elsewhere for work/uni etc, leaving the clubs without enough quality players to field a competitive side. Anyway, somethings needs to be done obviously, but there are going to be some teething problems to say the least. I'm also thinking of clubs lower down like Wodonga Saints who need at least 10-12 recruits to be remotely competitive, they are now unable for at least a few years to turn it around.

Im a massive fan of the concept of a poi ts system. But from what i have been reading on the issue, it seems that the damage has already been done. The worst offened of the mercenary movement has already "laundered" their stars to minimum points.
Ie Polo + O'Hailpin × 2 will be worth the same as thirds kid playing up or a seconds battler who cracks a senior game.
Each year their points have gone down but to this point their ability certainly hasnt! This is just one massive flaw i see in the system as it stands

You are right but this will even out over time. If you expect it to have a major impact next season then you will be disappointed.

I don't quite get it. But this is Lavi's team from the weekend and how I read the points. I'm certain I'm wrong on a number of them!!

My assumptions. A player like Adam Butler who is Tallangatta junior has been at the club for 10 years so he's now a 1 pointer.

This is also based on this year, 2015. A few of them would drop a point in 2016... I think?
4 A Prior
1 J. Banks
5 J. Koschitzke
1 M. Pendergast
2 B. Dickson
1 M. Aalbers
1 C. Annett
1 N. Meredith
1 S. Harris
1 L. Garland
2 J. Saker
3 J. O'Sullivan
1 A.Dess
1 K. Garland
1 M. Palmer
2 J. Harland
2 J. Spina
1 J. Kirley
1 A. Butler
1 J. Hunt
1 J Nunn

I think that totals 34!

Will all teams be allocated the same amount of points? Or will teams like Myrtleford get more and Albury get less because of location/resources?

Will all teams be allocated the same amount of points? Or will teams like Myrtleford get more and Albury get less because of location/resources?

Everyone would get the same I'd assume.

I would suggest Albury would be well under. Most of their current players have been at the club for many years and would only attract 1 point. Even someone like Polo will be into his 4th year at the club next year so he'll be down to 2 or 3 points.

What it might do is limit their ability to recruit Cross, Schnieder and Stevie J all in one year or target the likes of Garland, Cary and Grayson from rival clubs like they have in the past.

Everyone would get the same I'd assume.

I would suggest Albury would be well under. Most of their current players have been at the club for many years and would only attract 1 point. Even someone like Polo will be into his 4th year at the club next year so he'll be down to 2 or 3 points.

What it might do is limit their ability to recruit Cross, Schnieder and Stevie J all in one year or target the likes of Garland, Cary and Grayson from rival clubs like they have in the past.

Very good points. As I have said before, the impact will come in 3-4 years rather than next year.

Out of interest how far back do O&M junior playing records go . Back far enough and are they accurate enough to confirm without doubt , that any player wishing to join a club has or hasn't played the minimum amount of games to qualify as a 1 point home player ? Also what are the chances of clubs switching their recruiting to non Victorian leagues who are not allocated points ?

Very good points. As I have said before, the impact will come in 3-4 years rather than next year.
OBVIOUSLY THE LAST THING WE WANT AND NEED IN COUNTRY FOOTY IS MORE TALENT!
Had the system been in place a few years ago , I gather Braydon O'Hara would not be playing O&M.
We don't want Adam Schneider as coach , and a couple of delisted saints at Rovers.
Nor would we want to see Stevie J , James Kelly and Matt stokes line up at wang for their home games.( Or is Stevie a 1 pointer , as recruited from Wang? )
Points not the answer to not the real question. A joke

OBVIOUSLY THE LAST THING WE WANT AND NEED IN COUNTRY FOOTY IS MORE TALENT!
Had the system been in place a few years ago , I gather Braydon O'Hara would not be playing O&M.
We don't want Adam Schneider as coach , and a couple of delisted saints at Rovers.
Nor would we want to see Stevie J , James Kelly and Matt stokes line up at wang for their home games.( Or is Stevie a 1 pointer , as recruited from Wang? )
Points not the answer to not the real question. A joke

What?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back