ABC 7.30 Report, The AFL and FOI requests?

Remove this Banner Ad

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Posting anew as the most relevent, old thread specifically covering the previous ABC 7.30 reporting is closed down:

Noticed this follow up from the ABC this morning in relation to the recent (in EFC saga terms at least) greyhound racing scandal:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-31/greyhound-racing-nsw-cover-ups-tip-offs-revealed/6736034

I guess "technically" it is a kind of "supplements program", where mechanical lures were being replaced by ones with a very different chemical make up ... straws grasped ... now to the point...

The ABC report on greyhounds was Feb this year and already they've been able to get some pretty damning material around cover-ups, via Freedom of Information requests - given that this footy saga is dragging on to 3 years and longer, what is conceivably available now that could be requested?

What type of records does the AFL retain, that could be accessed in the same way? Or if their records are locked up (or deleted) and not accessible in this way, more specifically who else would the AFL/EFC been communicating with, that could be requested?

Thus far I think we've only seen successful requests for some material from ACC?

Cronulla was quoted as using "Horse Drugs" at some stage in 2011, so may be a correlation.

Dank and these Science types seem to be dead keen on performance enhancing techniques from the US Equine Industry.....

Is it that no-one has asked? Or AFL hasn't any records?
Or perhaps the accredited media are too loyal to ask?

I was just curious in seeing how quickly someone tracked down more material on the NSW Greyhound saga - do the AFL really have everything locked up and controlled that tightly, after 3 years?

At this point I'm still treating "the Straight Dope" as partially, fictionally flavoured.
Maybe there's some trails involving some political manouvering, interference at either state or national level? Certainly comments in Chip's book referenced to Andruska, point towards considerable pollie engagement and interference.

And yep, looking for alternative points of interest now that the AFL/EFC leaks have dried up.

Greyhound racing boards are appointed by the government and likely under FOI requirements.

AFL is a private organisation and would not be covered by FOI.

So the ex told me just now. She was a lawyer and FOI determination officer.
Thanks, that's one of the variables I didn't understand.

Something fishy is happening at the Vic FOI offices, their CEO resigned recently and Daniel Andrews is on record wanting to shut them down, I believe...

Something fishy is happening at the Vic FOI offices, their CEO resigned recently and Daniel Andrews is on record wanting to shut them down, I believe...

Certainly issues with the Vic Government FOI offices, but that has little impact on this case. The only area that office would cover would be workcover vic but this info would still be protected by being part of an ongoing investigation. Most of the EFC saga is federal government (ACCC and ASADA), not covered by FOI law (WADA/AFL).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greyhound bating, FOI issues in dealing with Govt versus private bodies and Akka's interesting revelations about the CEO of Vic FOI...

I miss Hird. Board has lost some focus.

Thinking about it the board going quiet is all Chip's fault.

Caro got her man, which means Robbo lost his bromance.
Warner is side tracked trying to build on his story of Dank at Melbourne and Geelong,
Barrett is still going through his twitter account blocking all the EFC hacks who had a go at him after interviewing Campbell on the footy show.
Masters, still trying to figure out why he was even commenting on the EFC side and not the NRL side.

That leaves Chip who is to busy promoting his book still (proof https://t.co/rrL6kFzHNe) to actually dig up some leaks and give us something to talk about.

Thinking about it the board going quiet is all Chip's fault.

Caro got her man, which means Robbo lost his bromance.
Warner is side tracked trying to build on his story of Dank at Melbourne and Geelong,
Barrett is still going through his twitter account blocking all the EFC hacks who had a go at him after interviewing Campbell on the footy show.
Masters, still trying to figure out why he was even commenting on the EFC side and not the NRL side.

That leaves Chip who is to busy promoting his book still (proof https://t.co/rrL6kFzHNe) to actually dig up some leaks and give us something to talk about.
Agree - Chip has some answering to do. I expect nothing less than Straight Dope, the sequel. Or at least a follow up online extended version like a directors cut

Cronulla was quoted as using "Horse Drugs" at some stage in 2011, so may be a correlation.

Dank and these Science types seem to be dead keen on performance enhancing techniques from the US Equine Industry.....

I seem to remember using plenty of "horse drugs" myself back in the '90s

Greyhound racing boards are appointed by the government and likely under FOI requirements.

AFL is a private organisation and would not be covered by FOI.

So the ex told me just now. She was a lawyer and FOI determination officer.

Geez she must have some ripper other qualities to balance those out.

I seem to remember using plenty of "horse drugs" myself back in the '90s
Remember Robbie ODavis and all that from Newcastle RL team early 90s.
Horse drugs and cuff rate sports scientist ( for use in humans as well !!) been around since Adam was a boy...I am sure plenty of us could name, with reasonable credibility, a dozen footy players from 80s and 90s who were on some type of "juice".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back