Rumour Tom Bell to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldnt bet on it. Jordan De Greencrisp got 77 kicks for the Pies on the weekend compared to Beams zero.

Thats a Pissweak injury troll, even for a Collingwood supporter.

Go look at yourself in a mirror.

If voss were was still here, you would likely get pick 1 + Aish for Bell. But he isn't, so it's never going to happen.
Really... Just really...

I know it's the BF way to take cheap shots at Voss but try and not be a sheep. If you look at the trades that Roylion sent you, then you would see that they were a decent trade.

No they wouldn't.

Voss' trades
  • Brent Staker (50 Lions games) and Amon Buchanan (18 Lions games) and #39 (Sam Grimley - 3 games now Hawthorn rookie) later traded with Sydney for #47 (Ryan Harwood - 59 Lions games ) – traded for Bradd Dalziell (28 Eagles' games) and #28 (Mitch Duncan - 104 Geelong games)
  • Andrew Raines (67 Lions games) traded for Pick #44 (Matthew Dea - 31 games for Richmond)
  • Xavier Clarke (1 Lions game) traded for Pick #60 (Jesse W. Smith - 0 games for St Kilda).
  • Brendan Fevola (17 Lions games) and #27 (Callum Bartlett) traded for Lachlan Henderson and #12 (Kane Lucas - 42 games for Carlton now West Cast rookie).

for all this crazy Vossy talk... the only real shocker was the Fevola deal. And then only with 20:20 hindsight.

The others are aggressive but are what you might do if you think you have a reasonable nucleus in place while holding onto a promising KPP and a first rounder. Not the philosophy I'd use but entirely defensible

for all this crazy Vossy talk... the only real shocker was the Fevola deal. And then only with 20:20 hindsight.

Yes, I'd agree. Fevola was the reigning Coleman Medallist. I did feel at the time that Henderson and Pick 12 were too much to give up for him, but Carlton did agree to pay $100,000 of Fevola's salary for each of the two years remaining on his existing contract. After the first four-five rounds of the 2010 season, it looked inspired.

Either Henderson or Pick 12 would have been much more palatable. I was much more comfortable with trading Rischetelli and Bradshaw, which was the original plan.

The others are aggressive but are what you might do if you think you have a reasonable nucleus in place while holding onto a promising KPP and a first rounder. Not the philosophy I'd use but entirely defensible

Yep. Nothing more than #28 was given up for the other three players. Brisbane's Pick 28 to Sydney for Buchanan was improved to Pick 27 in the Fevola Trade.

Trading in experienced mature bodies is an approach you might take:

- if you were looking for depth to support an ageing core group of stars, (Brown, Black, Power etc)
- were conscious of the need to reboot the list in the near to medium term and looking to ensure that the age profiles and cohorts of your list were adequately configured. (ie you wanted a staged build over time that didn't leave you with a 6 x 18 year old midfielders and say 2 x 34 year olds.)
- Felt that if everything went your way you were a sneaky chance for 4th to 6th.

or

All of the above.

In hindsight, you'd try to find a way to keep your 1st rounder. (Much like we'd trade for Judd in 2007 but try to hold onto Kennedy).

Quality bloke.

Gives 100% effort and has a completely understandable reason for wanting to go home.

Brisbane you got yourself a good'un.

Happy we got 21. Thought we'd miss out on it, and get around 30 because of the go-home request and I believed the club would respect him a lot more than some others as he busted a gut (dunno if that's how clubs work but I'd be a lot keener to help Bell out than Henderson as a supporter).

Good luck to him, Bell and Jansen provide the grunt and size that Zorko, Taylor, Rich, Beams and Rockliff lack + Robbo is a bull at the contest. Nice even spread of players in the Lions midfield. Just hope we can nail 20 & 21.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy we got 21. Thought we'd miss out on it, and get around 30 because of the go-home request and I believed the club would respect him a lot more than some others as he busted a gut (dunno if that's how clubs work but I'd be a lot keener to help Bell out than Henderson as a supporter).

Good luck to him, Bell and Jansen provide the grunt and size that Zorko, Taylor, Rich, Beams and Rockliff lack + Robbo is a bull at the contest. Nice even spread of players in the Lions midfield. Just hope we can nail 20 & 21.

have a feeling at least 1 of those picks will be on-traded

I think that was a fair trade all round TBH. Bell gets close to his dad and carlton get a half decent pick. Well done carlton and lions.

Yes, I'd agree. Fevola was the reigning Coleman Medallist. I did feel at the time that Henderson and Pick 12 were too much to give up for him, but Carlton did agree to pay $100,000 of Fevola's salary for each of the two years remaining on his existing contract. After the first four-five rounds of the 2010 season, it looked inspired.

Either Henderson or Pick 12 would have been much more palatable. I was much more comfortable with trading Rischetelli and Bradshaw, which was the original plan.

Yep. Nothing more than #28 was given up for the other three players. Brisbane's Pick 28 to Sydney for Buchanan was improved to Pick 27 in the Fevola Trade.

No one was questioning Fevs on field ability at the time of the trade. The huge question was his off field problems, the trade happened after his Footy Show Brownlow performance and was widely known he was a time bomb waiting to explode.

No one else wanted Fev so Lions didn't have to outbid anyone. Pick 12 was more than enough for him at the time but Carlton couldn't believe their luck that Voss had lost his mind

No one else wanted Fev so Lions didn't have to outbid anyone.

The Lions didn't know that. And I'll bet Carlton didn't tell them. The original offer by the Lions to Carlton was Bradshaw and Richistelli.

Pick 12 was more than enough for him at the time but Carlton couldn't believe their luck that Voss had lost his mind

Voss wanted to secure Fevola as a replacement for a fading Bradshaw. The Lions had made the finals the year before and hoped to push into the Top 4 with the reigning Coleman Medallist. As I said, Carlton wasn't telling there were no other offers. Carlton also agreed to pay $100,000 of his salary if they received a decent return for him via a trade. Fevola was contracted for about $550,000 in 2010 and in excess of $800,000 in 2011. Carlton made it clear at the time that they would not pay any of his salary to a club if it did not offer what they deemed to be a fair deal, in terms of either players or draft picks.

Fevola played 17 games for the Lions in 2010, for 48 goals which was a solid return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back