Dempsey's sling tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

The changed the rules after the Conca decision because everyone agreed it was too lenient.

This is right up there with Barry Hall's punch. One of the ugliest things you can do on a football field... 7 weeks is right.
If Hodge gets 2, this gets 2.

Well at least those who cry poo and pee tears can stop whinging about how only Hawks are hit with the "potential" clause.

The thing I hate just as much is how Dempsey shakes Deledio afterwards
I mean *, if the blokes just broken his neck that's not something you do
Really hope a reminder goes out to everyone in the comp that if a player is laying on the ground, don't ******* touch them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL could aim for a precedent here. Career is over anyway. They could go all out and give him 5 knowing it won't matter, plus the total chook lotto the tribunal is.

Essendon player Courtenay Dempsey could press charges over racial abuse on social media

The Richmond-supporting peanut who abused Dempsey on Instagram has done football a disservice by allowing Dempsey and Essendon the opportunity for deflection.

The story is not racism. It's not Aboriginals. It's not social media. It's not the perceived persecution of the EFC. It's an unbelievably stupid act (putting the kindest possible spin on it) by someone who's watched too much TV which only through dumb luck didn't result in a young father being confined to a wheelchair for life.

STFU Dempsey and Essendon and cop your whack for once.

Last edited:
Actually they're two completely separate issues.

What he did was a terrible tackle, a bloody dangerous one, and he should and will be punished for it.

To suggest he should shut up and not say a thing when he is racially abused, however, is absolute rubbish.

Obscene. Deledio's career flashed in front of my eyes, I was shaking. The MRP's fancy boxes suggest Dempsey will get off lightly, but this needs to go straight to the tribunal. Has to be severely stamped out. Dempsey was apologetic afterwards but that's too late.
Same, everyone in my lounge room went quiet when it happened. Thank god he got up again.

No intent from CD, and he clearly felt sick to the guts as soon as he realised what he did, which was why he was trying to rouse Lids.

Essendon player Courtenay Dempsey could press charges over racial abuse on social media

The Richmond-supporting peanut who abused Dempsey on Instagram has done football a disservice by allowing Dempsey and Essendon the opportunity for deflection.

The story is not racism. It's not Aboriginals. It's not social media. It's not the perceived persecution of the EFC. It's an unbelievably stupid act (putting the kindest possible spin on it) by someone who's watched too much TV which only through dumb luck didn't result in a young father being confined to a wheelchair for life.

STFU Dempsey and Essendon and cop your whack for once.
Not your best effort Ron.

I know it happened to your team, and one of your own supporters took the racial road but to say Dempsey should just take racism because he did something stupid on the football field is just plain stupid and archaic thinking.

Not your best effort Ron.

I know it happened to your team, and one of your own supporters took the racial road but to say Dempsey should just take racism because he did something stupid on the football field is just plain stupid and archaic thinking.

Not about to defend the comment directed at Dempsey, but perhaps the person who posted it went looking for some sort of expression of remorse from Dempsey which is customary after serious transgressions. That Dempsey involved the police didn't need to be made public, along with the club's "we'll support him if he takes it further".

It's sheer noise/deflection, bordering on political grandstanding.

They say Dempsey's a good person; I'm yet to see any evidence of it. Will withhold further comment until after the tribunal.

Not about to defend the comment directed at Dempsey, but perhaps the person who posted it went looking for some sort of expression of remorse. This didn't need to be made public, with the club's "we'll support him if he takes it further".

It's sheer noise/deflection, bordering on political grandstanding.
Perhaps the person who posted that, looking for remorse, shouldn't have included the racial dig then.

The minute they did that, they lost the right to the moral high ground and you can write it off as political grandstanding all you like.

It's nothing to do with copping their fair whack. Dempsey pretty clearly knew he'd stuffed up, and I will guess he will cop the suspension he gets- whatever it is- tomorrow.

However, the bloke who posted that at Dempsey deserves to be called out. The very fact people still resort to racial abuse with such ease is very sad.

Actually they're two completely separate issues.

What he did was a terrible tackle, a bloody dangerous one, and he should and will be punished for it.

To suggest he should shut up and not say a thing when he is racially abused, however, is absolute rubbish.
Totally agree.

Have to admit though, with so much spin coming out of EFC post-2012, my first reaction is to look for the angle with anything they come out with, Ron was prob. doing the same.

Totally agree.

Have to admit though, with so much spin coming out of EFC post-2012, my first reaction is to look for the angle with anything they come out with, Ron was prob. doing the same.
Maybe the issues just shouldn't be linked at all.

At the end of the day, Dempsey screwed up and will get- rightly- whacked for it. He knows he screwed up too.

However, so did the guy who abused Dempsey, and I think trying to link them in a "shut up and cop your whack" fashion is extremely cynical.

Maybe the issues just shouldn't be linked at all.

At the end of the day, Dempsey screwed up and will get- rightly- whacked for it. He knows he screwed up too.

However, so did the guy who abused Dempsey, and I think trying to link them in a "shut up and cop your whack" fashion is extremely cynical.

I plead Goodes fatigue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back