UFC 193 - Fight Week!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to do a few interviews with fighters seeing I don't have website anymore are we going to do a normal 193 thread. Where shall I post them
We can start it whenever. Would be a great lead up.

Anyone doubting that this might sell out i have a story.

Last night while eating dinner i get a text from my wifes brother (he and i went to Adelaide with a few other mates for the last UFC and are both big die hard fans). My wife looks over and goes "what does he want" i respond "oh he is asking for my UFC fight club login cause he is putting the tickets on his card when it comes through" she responds "oh is that the Melbourne one with Ronda Rousey? Can my and my friend come with you guys"...

I did MMA training for a long time (i remember excitedly telling her about how i used to spar with Dan Kelly and then Jake Matthews when they were on TUF) and she always HATED it and i mean with a passion. Now her and a friend want to come and spend between 500 and 1000 bucks to watch it and its pretty much ONLY cause of Ronda.

Last night while eating dinner i get a text from my wifes brother (he and i went to Adelaide with a few other mates for the last UFC and are both big die hard fans). My wife looks over and goes "what does he want" i respond "oh he is asking for my UFC fight club login cause he is putting the tickets on his card when it comes through" she responds "oh is that the Melbourne one with Ronda Rousey? Can my and my friend come with you guys"...

I did MMA training for a long time (i remember excitedly telling her about how i used to spar with Dan Kelly and then Jake Matthews when they were on TUF) and she always HATED it and i mean with a passion. Now her and a friend want to come and spend between 500 and 1000 bucks to watch it and its pretty much ONLY cause of Ronda.

Wow, this one-off personal experience about a family member who obviously has been exposed to MMA is sure to convince everybody! :p

I also have a story, I told my family that Ronda Rousey was the new headliner and this was met with a 'Who?'

Sweet deal.

Yeah I just double checked with the CEO's PA who organises all the tickets and corporate event type things.
She reckons another bloke has asked for the tickets and said its because he wants "to take customers".
Bullshit.
Im getting them.... If I dont then I may ask him to get in the octagon... Winner takes all lol.

Wow, this one-off personal experience about a family member who obviously has been exposed to MMA is sure to convince everybody! :p

I also have a story, I told my family that Ronda Rousey was the new headliner and this was met with a 'Who?'

He's actually not wrong though, it's going to be a stampeded(online) for tickets in the presale alone.
Good luck to everyone trying to get tickets, and if you get floor seats and I dont, screw you then. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my good mates lives in Tasmania. For both of the Sydney PPVs I was living in Canberra.

For both shows, he flew both him and his wife up, he had to book a hotel for both of them, and we got pretty expensive seats.

This time? I live in Melbourne now with a nice guest room, so his accommodation would've been free and comfortable. Melbourne is a MUCH cheaper flight for him than Sydney. He could've gotten away with not bringing his wife for one day.

And he's got no interest in coming. He is the only person I know that still watches every single UFC PPV, Fox Sports show and pre-show - but even for him the novelty value of UFC in Australia has worn off, such that he has no interest in forking out any money to come and see a show full of people who are irrelevant to their division, paying $300-500 for the privilege of mediocre seats. "If this was a US card, I'd have trouble finding 4 other people to chip in for the pay per view."

And as a "hardcore fan", he agreed with others on here that the scratching of Lawler/Condit made it less likely for "real" fans to go, because he thinks people don't respect Holm, and thinks the addition of Rousey/Holm is a stunt in response to poor feedback over the initial announcement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is representative of all "true" MMA fans who have experienced great shows in Australia before - but neither is your experience representative, and I think when it gets the reality of being asked to pay over $100 to sit at the back of the third tier at Etihad Stadium, in excess of 100 metres from the ring... I wonder if people like your wife are still going to go for it if there isn't someone like you to take care of it for them.

But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly there were a hell of a lot of theatre goers who made it hard for me to get into Real Madrid and Manchester City, so maybe I'm underestimating the "sporting theatregoer" element of Melbourne.

I do think that's what they'll be relying on for a sell out though, cos I don't see tens of thousands of people flying in for this fight.

It was an anecdote, not a study, the whole post was tongue in cheek.

However i do think the mass appeal of Rousey will see this show sell out.

The die hards (for the most part) will come to be a part of history (title fight, biggest ever attendence) and for the fan fights (Hunt v Silva, Whittaker v Bisping etc) the casuals will come because its a sporting event and one of their mates is probably a fan, the uninitiated will come because Ronda is on the card. She has more widespread appeal than any fighter in UFC history (the only person who could compete with her in that regard would be Brock and even then i dont remember him being on Jimmy Fallon etc).

Yeah I just double checked with the CEO's PA who organises all the tickets and corporate event type things.
She reckons another bloke has asked for the tickets and said its because he wants "to take customers".
Bullshit.
Im getting them.... If I dont then I may ask him to get in the octagon... Winner takes all lol.

Good deal. Looks like im going Medallion club as a client, save myself some serious coin.

(the only person who could compete with her in that regard would be Brock and even then i dont remember him being on Jimmy Fallon etc).
To be fair thats probably because he wouldn't do it :p

Seriously :eek:

How about the Bigfoot fight?
nothing concrete dont lose your s**t yet ha ha ha. bigfoot would be off of course its enought to keep everyone happy. im pretty happy with the card as it is anyway. OF course Robbie v Carlos would of been amazing . Rousey just has the x factor like no one in the UFC trust me her auror will fill that stadium. the card is great its going to be a great event enjoy it.

I was only saying to a mate the other day that I don't want Fedor to come back. His last couple of fights in the US were terrible - I'd just rather live with my memories of the greatest fighter of all time, the first beast I loved, the guy who got me into PRIDE and MMA in general (I never even really watched UFC til PRIDE went out of business... it's one of my pet peeves that people call me the 'TUF generation' in terms of UFC when I'd been watching PRIDE for years prior).

And with all that said... IF Fedor were to come back, I'd be dropping an outrageous amount of money to get as close as I could.

Oh my *insert chosen deity here* I hope it happens! I'm tipping the mate I referred to in an earlier post, the one who wouldn't come over for this card, and who got me into PRIDE - would probably revisit his refusal to come if Fedor was on the card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back