Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

The calls to retire this guy are ludicrous.

forkworkflow-Fork.png

He would turn 31 before 2016 started and his body has been breaking down for two years now, he can't get on or stay on the park. I'd love if he could get back on the park in any meaningful way but he was seriously shithouse at the start of the year with his 11 disposal games before he got hurt. I hope I am wrong but I think his body is shot.

With the number of older players we have, we have to put to pasture anyone that doesn't look like they have much left in the tank, because in 2 years we are likely going to see Harvey, Petrie, Waite and Dal Santo retire, maybe evene Thompson as well in a couple of years. For list management sake we have to mitigate too many going at the same time.

Wonder if the club will package him and Swallow up and do a trade with Freo or West Coast, for someone like Lachie Neal or Andrew Gaff?

Wonder if the club will package him and Swallow up and do a trade with Freo or West Coast, for someone like Lachie Neal or Andrew Gaff?
At a wild guess, I'd go with.....no.

forkworkflow-Fork.png

He would turn 31 before 2016 started and his body has been breaking down for two years now, he can't get on or stay on the park. I'd love if he could get back on the park in any meaningful way but he was seriously shithouse at the start of the year with his 11 disposal games before he got hurt. I hope I am wrong but I think his body is shot.

With the number of older players we have, we have to put to pasture anyone that doesn't look like they have much left in the tank, because in 2 years we are likely going to see Harvey, Petrie, Waite and Dal Santo retire, maybe evene Thompson as well in a couple of years. For list management sake we have to mitigate too many going at the same time.

He was flying preseason.

Round one was shithouse.

Round 2 he was injured.

I still think he has at least two years left.

Jars is a tool, but he let slip the other day wells will be in Perth next year. His mail can be way off sometimes but he does have a close connection with someone who could possibly no

Jars is a tool, but he let slip the other day wells will be in Perth next year. His mail can be way off sometimes but he does have a close connection with someone who could possibly no
Yes you're correct - Jars is a tool..

You lost me at "Jars".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NORTH Melbourne coach Brad Scott has left the door ajar for a shock return for Daniel Wells in Sunday’s elimination final against Richmond.

Wells hasn’t played senior football since Round 2 because of an Achilles problem and injured his calf in a VFL match late last month.

But Scott said if the 30-year-old was cleared by medical staff this week he would be considered for selection with one option to play him as the substitute.

"We’re hoping to have him available this week,” Scott said.

“He had what we described as a one-week calf last week so we’re hoping that he’ll train this week and be available for selection and then it will become a match committee decision not a medical decision.

“…he came off a pretty limited preparation last year as well and was a really influential player in the finals series. It’s still our intention to try and get him back.

“He’s working really hard … getting himself match fit. Now that’s difficult to do because he’s had a limited number of matches to actually do that.”

The Kangaroos rested nine players in Round 23 and Scott said he now has the “freshest and fittest available list to pick from” for their rematch with Richmond on Sunday.

Scott said he was “optimistic” Lindsay Thomas (foot) would be available while a decision on youngster Kayne Turner (head knock) would be made later in the week.

Scott back peddled on his call for an apology from those he believed had said the Kangaroos intention wasn’t to win against the Tigers.

“I suppose I can take my tongue out of my cheek now,” Scott said.

“No apologies and none required really.”

Captain Andrew Swallow said the players who were rested were feeling good after a light session on Saturday.

Ok.... What if Gibbo was the sub... Would anyone here not want the sub to be Wells instead?? Just saying. And I like Gibbo, but 5 disposals forms Wells is better than 15 from Gibbo.

We normally get nothing out of our sub so it doesn't sound ludicrous, however, the elephant in the room is what happens if someone goes down early in the first quarter and he has to play all four quarters. It just isn't worth the risk. Our team selection is typically one of our biggest achilles heels, we are normally carrying a number of passengers every game and we are not good enough to do it in finals, we have to pick our best team. There were guys who played last week that gave and will give more output than some best 22 players we field this week.

We normally get nothing out of our sub so it doesn't sound ludicrous, however, the elephant in the room is what happens if someone goes down early in the first quarter and he has to play all four quarters. It just isn't worth the risk. Our team selection is typically one of our biggest achilles heels, we are normally carrying a number of passengers every game and we are not good enough to do it in finals, we have to pick our best team. There were guys who played last week that gave and will give more output than some best 22 players we field this week.

He's not a cripple. He's still a professional athlete. I have confidence he could run out three quarters with a higher level of output than most no matter how much footy he's played.

In saying that, he won't be picked and you can understand why.

He's not a cripple. He's still a professional athlete. I have confidence he could run out three quarters with a higher level of output than most no matter how much footy he's played.

In saying that, he won't be picked and you can understand why.

He broke down with 3 quarters in the VFL development league game, not sure how you can have any confidence he will hold up at AFL level under much more intense pressure and speed. He also hasn't shown that he can perform when he is carrying leg related problems, once he loses his zip and evasiveness the standard of his footy plummets imo.

I think to even entertain the possibility is stupid.

I think that Wells is the type of player that thrives more at the higher level... I would make him sub, that would be best suited to what we need from him.
Holding out hope that he can get through the preseason and we can go into rnd 1 next year with boom, Dal, Wells and Higgins all fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back