Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One and the same. Doesn't change the fact that he's a smart footballer than knows how to play forward. It was never going to be Riewoldts night, it's easier to punch than it is to take clean marks in the wet. I would of been shocked if Hurley didn't towel him up.

Except that, generally speaking, Hurley almost always towels up Riewoldt.

Look I'm not calling Jack a spud by any stretch, but considering the significant physical advantages that Daniher has, he's not the player I'd be pointing to as something to aspire to.

Except that, generally speaking, Hurley almost always towels up Riewoldt.

Look I'm not calling Jack a spud by any stretch, but considering the significant physical advantages that Daniher has, he's not the player I'd be pointing to as something to aspire to.

Riewoldt was ahead of JD after three years.

Riewoldt was ahead of JD after three years.

Riewoldt's breakout season was his fourth. If he was better than JD in his third season the difference was negligible at best.

After three seasons:

J. Daniher 65 goals; 47 games; 1.4 goals per game.
T. Hawkins 59 goals; 43 games; 1.4 goals per game.
J. Riewoldt 57 goals; 46 games; 1.2 goals per game.
J. Brown 57 goals; 57 games; 1 goal per game.

There have been other forwards who have progressed at a faster pace - Cameron, Stringer and Hogan to name just a few - and others such as Tom Boyd who haven't developed at all. JD though is the only one that is ruckman sized and the only one who didn't come into the league almost fully formed. It will take another couple of pre-seasons before we really get a feel for the player than Joey will become. Nevertheless, he is currently tracking as well as if not ahead of some pretty great forwards.

Another one for that list is Travis Cloke after 3 seasons had 55 from 55 games, ie 1 per game. He's not a bad comparison either as he started in an ordinary team that got good pretty quickly, plus he's had accuracy issues like Joe too.

until we fix our forward structure he wont be kicking more than 50 i don't think, if we can get it in to him 1 on 1 he will destroy his opponent. key is get it in quick and then we will see how good this kid can really be.

Riewoldt's breakout season was his fourth. If he was better than JD in his third season the difference was negligible at best.

After three seasons:

There have been other forwards who have progressed at a faster pace - Cameron, Stringer and Hogan to name just a few - and others such as Tom Boyd who haven't developed at all. JD though is the only one that is ruckman sized and the only one who didn't come into the league almost fully formed. It will take another couple of pre-seasons before we really get a feel for the player than Joey will become. Nevertheless, he is currently tracking as well as if not ahead of some pretty great forwards.

best thing about JD he has been teh number 1 forward for us and still ahead of the players mentioned. Brown had lynch taking the number 1 backman. hawkins had alot of help too and Riewolt had kosi and the Big Gehrig running around

After three seasons:

Great post. We will start to see a better JoeD in the next two years.

Another one for that list is Travis Cloke after 3 seasons had 55 from 55 games, ie 1 per game. He's not a bad comparison either as he started in an ordinary team that got good pretty quickly, plus he's had accuracy issues like Joe too.

I would have posted a few more comparisons but it was 2:30 and I was thinking "Crap I really need to be in bed!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After three seasons:

Travis Cloke won the B and F in his third year - Unfortunately, this discussion is bogged down in goals only - Goals are only one part of a tall forwards total armory - JD has lots to improve in the non-goal parts of his game, which will ultimately lead to more goals.

Travis Cloke won the B and F in his third year - Unfortunately, this discussion is bogged down in goals only - Goals are only one part of a tall forwards total armory - JD has lots to improve in the non-goal parts of his game, which will ultimately lead to more goals.

Definitely agree with this. If Joe doesn't win the marking contest he goes to ground like a baby giraffe and becomes a non-factor.

Also stop kicking it into the ******* man on the mark!!

Definitely agree with this. If Joe doesn't win the marking contest he goes to ground like a baby giraffe and becomes a non-factor.

Also stop kicking it into the ******* man on the mark!!

yeah that does my head in when he tries to kick the crap out of the ball. His kicking action when in general play has a big wind up and he constantly gets smothered or tackled before he has time to kick it.

Needs better players delivering him the pill.

Until then, you probably can't properly judge him.

The likes of Kennedy and Franklin would battle to kick goals in a season with O'Brien, Melksham and Howlett shanking the ball i50 to them.

Hopefully next year, we get a healthy Myers, Zakka, Watson back. 2016 will be the year most will form their opinion of him.

Would also like to see some more one on ones next year, it seems like every F50 entry we have, Joey and Cale are within a meter of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back