NFL NFL Gamepass

Remove this Banner Ad

lando-calrissian-this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.gif

Yeah, but thinking that you're smarter than everyone else and stealing a product doesn't make you intelligent, it just makes you a ****in a-hole and a thief.

The whole argument about torrenting/streaming was to do with access. Those who continue to do it when the NFL provides access at a pretty reasonable price are just liars and hypocrites.

We all know how to do it man. Most of us choose not to because we aren't pricks.
I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else. I'm giving it to others since it's been given to me, and it's only fair. If I thought I was better than everyone else I would keep it to myself, rather than share the love wouldn't I?

Don't want to be that guy, but do me a favor and keep the illegal stream discussion stuff offline or elsewhere. I've got no interest in being the fun police but if I want to keep my job I can't actively participate in a forum where promoting illegal NFL streams is considered "sharing the love". I get that our products are expensive to some and they want to find alternative ways to watch the games, but....

International people have to pay a yearly sum to see all games and other documentary content etc

Yes I know. That's what I have. Or do you mean I need to pay extra on top of my existing International Game Pass subscription to access the games on Apple TV?

Yes I know. That's what I have. Or do you mean I need to pay extra on top of my existing International Game Pass subscription to access the games on Apple TV?

Apparently there's a couple of issues with folks getting access to GamePass International at the moment. Our dev is working on it with Apple right now (their fault, not ours!)

Apparently there's a couple of issues with folks getting access to GamePass International at the moment. Our dev is working on it with Apple right now (their fault, not ours!)

Ah OK thanks. Hopefully gets sorted soon as Game Pass on Apple TV is what I've wanted for a long time.

Other than that it looks good. But just something I noticed... I saw that once you select a game to watch a replay, it takes you to a screen where you choose to watch the full-game or condensed version. But it also features highlights (including images and descriptions which could be spoilers). Somebody like me who might want to watch replays as though they are live (i.e. after work on Monday) would prefer not to see that.

Just to be clear @sparklyblue, I'm not having a go at you - I completely understand that we all serve a master!

But a lot of your posts seem to blame factors external to you guys there at the NFL. It seems as though the NFL needs to bring a lot of this stuff in house, because if these were "announcements" made on a broader scale, it would make everyone there look lazy and incompetent in your excuse making.

The reason I'm not critical of you is that I know you provide this 'inside info' as a favour, and these aren't promises followed by excuses that are really made "publicly". I guess my point is that it doesn't leave me with a very high opinion of NFL operations, that "you" seem to outsource things to people that I assume you've done due diligence on... then you blame them when they don't pull through.

This can't be a shock! This is what happens when you outsource - especially in the IT sector. Which means, in my opinion, that the NFL is still ultimately to blame for delays and should not be apportioning blame to their partners.

Do you expect that this is how they'll always do things? Or are there plans to bring more stuff in house as the product becomes more developed? (I understand the Microsoft, Apple etc will provide bottlenecks in distribution, but they don't need to be in development do they?)

Just to be clear @sparklyblue, I'm not having a go at you - I completely understand that we all serve a master!

But a lot of your posts seem to blame factors external to you guys there at the NFL. It seems as though the NFL needs to bring a lot of this stuff in house, because if these were "announcements" made on a broader scale, it would make everyone there look lazy and incompetent in your excuse making.

The reason I'm not critical of you is that I know you provide this 'inside info' as a favour, and these aren't promises followed by excuses that are really made "publicly". I guess my point is that it doesn't leave me with a very high opinion of NFL operations, that "you" seem to outsource things to people that I assume you've done due diligence on... then you blame them when they don't pull through.

This can't be a shock! This is what happens when you outsource - especially in the IT sector. Which means, in my opinion, that the NFL is still ultimately to blame for delays and should not be apportioning blame to their partners.

Do you expect that this is how they'll always do things? Or are there plans to bring more stuff in house as the product becomes more developed? (I understand the Microsoft, Apple etc will provide bottlenecks in distribution, but they don't need to be in development do they?)

The answer to your last question kinda answers the first portion of your post. Yes, they do. This is how it actually works for us, MLB and every other company that delivers content on digital platforms. They provide the platforms we distribute on, the back-end capability, and in some cases the purchase platform. However for the most part this isn't outsourcing - it's platform distribution.

Unless we want to start building smartphones and TV devices - we'll have to live with the fallout when things go wrong. We're accountable, but not always responsible if there are errors outside the source code we provide. This is the world we live in.

In terms of actual outsourcing - GP International and Xbox are the only apps we don't build ourselves. GPI is built by the same provider the NBA uses and Microsoft build the Xbox apps themselves. Everything else is built by folks I could throw a stapler at from my desk.

Last edited:
The answer to your last question kinda answers the first portion of your post. Yes, they do. This is how it actually works for us, MLB and every other company that delivers content on digital platforms. They provide the platforms we distribute on, the back-end capability, and in some cases the purchase platform. However for the most part this isn't outsourcing - it's platform distribution.

Unless we want to start building smartphones and TV devices - we'll have to live with the fallout when things go wrong. We're accountable, but not always responsible if there are errors outside the source code we provide. This is the world we live in.

In terms of actual outsourcing - GP International and Xbox are the only apps we don't build ourselves. GPI is built by the same provider the NBA uses and Microsoft build the Xbox apps themselves. Everything else is built by folks I could throw a stapler at from my desk.

On behalf of all of us, I would suggest you test that theory next time you have to come here and tell us of another delay :p

(Cheers for the response and for taking it in the spirit that it was intended)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome work sparkyblue really appreciate you taking the time to give us updates on this stuff. It's better to know the issue has been recognised and is being worked on than to just be in the dark thinking "well they've still got bugs to iron out"

No prob - happy to pass on updates. We've had our pre-season to work out the bugs in the system and will be ready to go for the real stuff next week.
Can't wait for my Steelers to run over the Pats next week....

We have our staff Fantasy league drafts on Friday and I'm hoping for a couple of famous faces help us out - so will post some pics if that works out.

For the record Bigfooty does not subscribe to bootlegging and online piracy of intellectual property.

Maybe if we all subscribed to GamePass legally it would more affordable for all and we wouldn't have people having to hang out for promo codes so they can participate.

Someone had to say it.

No smart tv app

It's on the radar, just not at the moment and not sure if we'll get there this season. The problem there is that there are so many different platforms to build apps for and the cost-vs-benefit isn't there if you only have a few thousand subscribers on that platform. TV Manufacturers have also completely abandoned some of their "smart" O/S within a year or two.

Once TV companies converge onto a common Smart TV O/S (e.g. Android TV) we'll be in like Flynn.

Serious question...why are proprietary apps so important for people?

I mean I understand if your watching on a mobile device but if your ultimately watching GamePass on a TV isn't it a moot point if the device feeding the signal (Xbox, PS4, PC, Apple Mac etc) has a browser capability?

Serious question...why are proprietary apps so important for people?

I mean I understand if your watching on a mobile device but if your ultimately watching GamePass on a TV isn't it a moot point if the device feeding the signal (Xbox, PS4, PC, Apple Mac etc) has a browser capability?
I'm ecstatic simply being able to lay in bed and watch games on mobile or tablet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back