Universal Love Kane Cornes' book

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Haysman deserves kudos for bringing the dire stadium deal into the public arena for the first time, but overall I think we think a lot more fondly of him than he probably deserves

His wrecking ball approach worked for some purposes (getting the ball rolling on the whole licence independence/Adelaide Oval move are as key to where we are today as anything) but in terms of the day to day running of the football club he didn't quite get it by the sounds of things. In hindsight, he was probably the right CEO for the slash and burn we needed at the time, but his usefulness expired fairly quickly and his departure wasn't a second too soon.

His wrecking ball approach worked for some purposes (getting the ball rolling on the whole licence independence/Adelaide Oval move are as key to where we are today as anything) but in terms of the day to day running of the football club he didn't quite get it by the sounds of things. In hindsight, he was probably the right CEO for the slash and burn we needed at the time, but his usefulness expired fairly quickly and his departure wasn't a second too soon.

Yep. The fact the best he could attract sponsor wise are two companies noone had ever heard of, and noone has heard of since, who didn't even fulfill their contracts is the major black mark next to his name.

QUOTE="Macca19, post: 40579171, member: 667"]Mark Haysman deserves kudos for bringing the dire stadium deal into the public arena for the first time, but overall I think we think a lot more fondly of him than he probably deserves[/QUOTE]
could never work out the support but lots of PR spin which was pretty good in covering that had no idea what was going on on or off field
His wrecking ball approach worked for some purposes (getting the ball
Yep. The fact the best he could attract sponsor wise are two companies noone had ever heard of, and noone has heard of since, who didn't even fulfill their contracts is the major black mark next to his name.
yep, that certainly wrecked us. I don't think either of them paid an invoice either..............oh that's right it's not our fault!

Back to Unley we go

Complacency that set in after 2004 is pretty disturbing. Half-arsing the pre-season by training once a week at a school oval so we can do an extended victory lap is an idea that nobody would want to own up to now.

At the end of the day, people expecting a completely unbiased, objective account of the teams dark days are going to be disappointed. .......
I'm certain that if you ask Kane he will tell you that in his totally unbiased opinion he is unbiased. Just like Dyson Heydon. :rolleyes:

Finished the book last night, a great read, even though it was clearly rushed out.

I guess Kane doesn't pot Choco because they were always on each other's good side (rightly or wrongly for the big picture).

I can imagine if Brett Montgomery did a book we'd get some more cutting remarks about Choco considering he went out almost exactly the same way as Kane almost did in 2011. Do you remember how he told Monty that we weren't going to contend for 3-4 years and then Monty came out in the media after being cut and says "Hey Port fans, your coach says you won't compete for the 3 years!" Very similar situations, it all just depends what side of history you're on.

Other interesting parts: Dean Brogan was steaming after the 2007 GF, as he didn't play much in the ruck, and wanted a big review of what happened on the day. As we all know, it was simply swept under the rug as we wrote it off as a bad day.

Ricciuto and Dittmar each get a massive serve towards the end for comments in the paper/on radio regarding his retirement. Seems a bit frosty between Ditts and Kane/the club. Kane said what everyone else has about Roo, that how a Crows board member shouldn't be commenting on us, because the reverse wouldn't be tolerated. Funny of course that he gives the old man a pass for dodgy comments made in the media.

Obviously Primus absolutely cops it, clearly in over his head. Ken gets a massive wrap, and the behind the scenes stuff only adds to it. Gave Kane a colossal spray after the 2013 Port/St Kilda/Crows pre-season triple header.

Reading it only reinforces a theory of mine that the 2004 Premiership team marked the end of an era in terms of list management, professionalism, culture etc. We very much got caught out behind the times having gone all in for a premiership, whereas every team since has taken a more long-term approach and used the draft and development to replenish and extend their window.

I would strongly recommend giving it a read.

Last edited:
Finished the book last night, a great read, even though it was clearly rushed out.

I guess Kane doesn't pot Choco because they were always on each other's good side (rightly or wrongly for the big picture).

I can imagine if Brett Montgomery did a book we'd get some more cutting remarks about Choco considering he went out almost exactly the same way as Kane almost did in 2011. Do you remember how he told Monty that we weren't going to contend for 3-4 years and then Monty came out in the media after being cut and says "Hey Port fans, your coach says you won't compete for the 3 years!" Very similar situations, it all just depends what side of history you're on.

Other interesting parts: Dean Brogan was steaming after the 2007 GF, as he didn't play much in the ruck, and wanted a big review of what happened on the day. As we all know, it was simply swept under the rug as we wrote it off as a bad day.

Ricciuto and Dittmar each get a massive serve towards the end for comments in the paper/on radio regarding his retirement. Seems a bit frosty between Ditts and Kane/the club. Kane said what everyone else has about Roo, that how a Crows board member shouldn't be commenting on us, because the reverse wouldn't be tolerated. Funny of course that he gives the old man a pass for dodgy comments made in the media.

Obviously Primus absolutely cops it, clearly in over his head. Ken gets a massive wrap, and the behind the scenes stuff only adds to it. Gave Kane a colossal spray after the 2013 Port/St Kilda/Crows pre-season triple header.

Reading it only reinforces a theory of mine that the 2004 Premiership team marked the end of an era in terms of list management, professionalism, culture etc. We very much got caught out behind the times having gone all in for a premiership, whereas every team since has taken a more long-term approach and used the draft and development to replenish and extend their window.

I would strongly recommend giving it a read.

So what you're saying is 10/10, would read again?

So what you're saying is 10/10, would read again?

Not sure when I'll get to read it again because I'm SO GODDAMN BUSY consuming other forms of media.

Just read the first chapter. It's about 2012. Gws, Primus, McCarthy. Intriguing.

Says he will never forget Primus' first words after that loss.

"I'm f***ed, I'm done"

I watched open mike last night, and it was much better than I expected, Chad in particular came across as still having a lot of genuine passion for Port.

Re those two absolute dud sponsors from the Haysman days that no one had ever heard of before, or since, what a joke that was.

I can't think of the woman's actual name, but seriously what t f was the club thinking having a sponsor who had dodgy directors ( I believe one had previously filed for bankruptcy ), and the other looked like a 60 yo ex vegas showgirl who had scored more pricks than a 2nd hand dartboard. :eek:

Geez, even Doc Edelstein would have steered clear of her. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complacency that set in after 2004 is pretty disturbing. Half-arsing the pre-season by training once a week at a school oval so we can do an extended victory lap is an idea that nobody would want to own up to now.
Professional football club and reigning AFL premier booted off school ovals so Under 13's can train.... you couldn't make this s**t up, what the **** were ppl thinking :drunk:

this just sounds depressing, I hope Kane puts out an actual footy book, 300 gamer and tagged some of the best players of the generation, he should have proper stories

Re those two absolute dud sponsors from the Haysman days that no one had ever heard of before, or since, what a joke that was.

...:rolleyes:
As was the mess he inherited.

2011 would've had to have been the most depressing season ever imaginable. Reading some of the comments here and excerpts from Kane's book is bringing back some really bad memories, i'm still scarred from the 303point fortnight from hell. We really did get dangerously close to sinking. I'm so happy Keith. Ken and Kochie came along.

Bianco going busto due to the GFC killed us, and even after we were rid of the SoaringATM stopgap the best we could do was sign-up VIP at a cutprice rate.

Even Renault got less than market rate after infinite schmoozing by Koch and co.

If anything previous regimes could be accused of complacency after the Scott's/Vodafone axis was locked in for so long.

Just read the first chapter. It's about 2012. Gws, Primus, McCarthy. Intriguing.

Says he will never forget Primus' first words after that loss.

"I'm f***ed, I'm done"

When Kane called Dom asking why there was that urgent meeting. That was just hard to read. Not just because of the tragic news of Jmac but also because one of our greatest thought we may have been going under.

For all the good they did for the club (I absolutely loved Chad as a footballer), they are still Cornes'. Being all about them, vindictive and spiteful is in their DNA. This is a Cornes' point of view, and whilst there seems like there are some interesting and illuminating sections to this book, it is written by a Cornes and ghost written by David Penberthy. Is there any point in the book where Kane or Chad are to blame .... for anything? I doubt it.

Best part of the interview last night for me was how it showed that Chad has matured about himself in acknowledging his past shortcomings and in doing so is obviously trying to educate and improve those around him. I would love to have Chad back at the club one day in an official capacity.

Best part of the interview last night for me was how it showed that Chad has matured about himself in acknowledging his past shortcomings and in doing so is obviously trying to educate and improve those around him. I would love to have Chad back at the club one day in an official capacity.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Loved him as a player, loved his heart on his sleeve passion, but some of the other stuff......
If he does come back to the club as a strength and conditioning coach as has been rumoured I'd want him kept well and truly under the watchful eye of KT and Ken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back