2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interested to see with clubs throwing themselves at Treleor, if a 'loser' will go hard for Aish? Kind of interested to see how the dynamics work out... could be we get some decent offer especially if Motlop and Danger resign with their respective clubs. Of course a lot depends on what Aish nominates too....

Really interested to see with clubs throwing themselves at Treleor, if a 'loser' will go hard for Aish? Kind of interested to see how the dynamics work out... could be we get some decent offer especially if Motlop and Danger resign with their respective clubs. Of course a lot depends on what Aish nominates too....
I think we hold the whip hand with Aish. We're well and truly entitled to say we'll get you to the type of club you're asking but we want an open process and will pick the offer that best suits us. Otherwise you can take your chances with the ND or PSD where we're best placed to select you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the relative notion that this draft isn't the strongest might sway some clubs to look at players in the system and utilising picks to get it done. It obviously helps that there are a number of clubs interested in Treloar and also Aish so those that miss out on Treloar will turn their attention to Aish.

Stoppages: 13th to 3rd in the AFL
Clearances: 15th to 4th

Even though we have improved in both areas, when compared to our direct opposition throughout the season we have gone backwards. To me, our structures around stoppages seem quite poor, resulting in our defenders being put under pressure more often than not. Whether that is the result of poor coaching or an inability to carry out instructions - who knows.

I have mentioned this before, and I am sure others will disagree, but I would like to see us go for one of the 'de-listed' Cats players. Word on the street is Kelly is 100% gone, I'd love to have him up for 1 year with a second year optional for both parties.

The 'Strictly Kids' model doesen't work, their development ends up being stunted and they regress, you need to work some older heads through the group IMO. He isnt coming up to lead us tot he finals, he is there to offer advice and a cool head down back, and to make the younger guys walk a little taller. if he played 13-14 games in the seniors and the rest offering leadership in the NEAFL that's a win.

Some may ask, "why get rid of Adcock to being in james Kelly?" - I would say he knows what it takes to win flags, he is a winner, he is a leader and he is a fresh voice and fresh set of eyes around the change rooms.

Same would go for Mackie if he wanted to look at it, but I think they will hold onto him for one more year.

I have mentioned this before, and I am sure others will disagree, but I would like to see us go for one of the 'de-listed' Cats players. Word on the street is Kelly is 100% gone, I'd love to have him up for 1 year with a second year optional for both parties.

The 'Strictly Kids' model doesen't work, their development ends up being stunted and they regress, you need to work some older heads through the group IMO. He isnt coming up to lead us tot he finals, he is there to offer advice and a cool head down back, and to make the younger guys walk a little taller. if he played 13-14 games in the seniors and the rest offering leadership in the NEAFL that's a win.

Some may ask, "why get rid of Adcock to being in james Kelly?" - I would say he knows what it takes to win flags, he is a winner, he is a leader and he is a fresh voice and fresh set of eyes around the change rooms.

Same would go for Mackie if he wanted to look at it, but I think they will hold onto him for one more year.
I wouldn't be totally against that either to be honest, would be a solid aquasition for a young side still growing. I haven't seen alot of Geelong this year so I might be wrong.

I think Kelly is extremely slow. I doubt he has much to offer any team at senior level.

We should be focussing on poaching a coach from a successful team. I think that would perhaps be more difficult but would have a bigger impact on the club.

I wouldn't be totally against that either to be honest, would be a solid aquasition for a young side still growing. I haven't seen alot of Geelong this year so I might be wrong.
Likewise, what would really help is a vocal type too to groom some of the younger kids into a leadership style, as with leadership qualities grows confidence. We have some guys that look likely, groom them into a leadership field role.

I think Kelly is extremely slow. I doubt he has much to offer any team at senior level.

We should be focussing on poaching a coach from a successful team. I think that would perhaps be more difficult but would have a bigger impact on the club.
Unless the game plan could be instated from day zip, that too could be fraught with danger. Don't disagree with you, just commenting.

Talks of Travis Cloke and him being traded...Eddie hinted that we should go after him, lol

Dont think it was ment as we should get cloke . But that we should off shopped some of our premiership stars when then still had currency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we delisted Adcock citing a youth policy and then picked up Kelly, we'd cop some rightful criticism.
Adcock is average at best and he pissed off because he wasn't guaranteed games next season... I'm sure Kelly would love to come up here for a few extra games if injury hits and to top up his super especially as he is likely to be delisted. Also comes from a successful club and has loads of leadership. Can't compare the two.

10 weeks ago, I'd have been all over picking up an ageing Geelong star. But gee, Father Time is catching up with them quickly. They looked old last Friday night.

The one advantage someone like Kelly might bring over (say) Adcock is insight into a very strong culture.

10 weeks ago, I'd have been all over picking up an ageing Geelong star. But gee, Father Time is catching up with them quickly. They looked old last Friday night.

The one advantage someone like Kelly might bring over (say) Adcock is insight into a very strong culture.

Yeah, but in that regard I am satisfied with Bundy, Beams and West in our playing ranks. Would rather get a Hawk if we wanted some more cultural insight.

Think we need more coaches from successful environments, rather than players at this point.

Yeah, but in that regard I am satisfied with Bundy, Beams and West in our playing ranks. Would rather get a Hawk if we wanted some more cultural insight.
Point being that, if we go down this path, we're probably recruiting someone of this age for more than just playing ability.

Think we need more coaches from successful environments, rather than players at this point.
Yes I agree. The coaches we have been recruiting are as green as you can get. Hopefully with the new funding that we might get we can bring in some experienced experts. Baffles me TBH how it got like this.... WRB even mentioned that Staker could be the new fitness manager. FFS.....

Point being that, if we go down this path, we're probably recruiting someone of this age for more than just playing ability.

Yeah, totally get that. I wasn't talking bout just playing ability, I was talking about players we've brought in from successful clubs giving us valuable insight.

On a case by case basis, they have to tick a few boxes though, and Kelly doesn't for mine. Past it as a player, don't think he is an irresistibly good leader, and not sure how much value he would give over West and Bundy in terms of "here's how we did things at the Cats".

Now if we could land Corey Enright on player transitioning into coaching deal... my ears would prick up.

If we delisted Adcock citing a youth policy and then picked up Kelly, we'd cop some rightful criticism.

I think your'e right, we would, but does that mean we are unable to recruit anyone over the age of 28-29? and will will also cop critism for keep Mcguane if we do?

I don't think we should be hamstrung because of the Adcock decision, lets not forget he was rumoured to be looking elsewhere from early in the season.

I am not suggesting we bring in older players as a quick fix or anything, but we are really struggling with implementing standards and culture - for example.. apparently Beamer took Aish under his wing last year and Aish was shattered when he had to pull up stumps.

who are our 'genuine' leaders at the club?

We need leaders at the club, Merrett is the only one left and he doesent exactly instill bucket loads of confidence.

Also completely agree, about coaches - i'd love to talk to John Barker as it is rumoured he will be looking to leave Carlton.

Yeah i am a fan of getting Barker up to the club. Former Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions player. Has lived in Brissy so not an issue. I think Leppa needs a decent assistant and Barker has done apprenticeship at Hawthorn and now Carlton. Even better he has coached the Blues for the second half of the season. That's a huge advantage.

Now that we have a thread on Redden leaving, I would suggest further discussion on the news moving there.

Edit: Because I'm OCD, I've moved all the Redden trade talk over to its own thread.

We should be opening up 2 spots on our list for Keefe and Thomas. Seriously we should be chucking good coin at both these blokes, play 2 less on the list next season and have 2 ready made AFL players to add to our team in 2017.

I wouldn't hesitate at getting Kelly and Johnson to our club next year in playing assistant coach roles. Yes we should pay overs. People knocking Kelly should realise that he still plays at a much higher level than most of our squad and Johnson, well that is a no brainer. We seriously need to get some elite experience into our club. Some serious blokes who can't be questioned and who can drive a cultural shift. Desperate times- desperate measures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back