Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is contracted until end of 2016
What potential?
Lachy is a lock

He would have seen how successful those moves were last year for those who left us
Why would he even think about it?

Apparently he was dead keen on being trading about mid way through this season. Well that might not be lachie but it was certainly coming from the Hunter camp!!

I hope he signs hes been fantastic but I don't think we can rule out anything.

I beg to differ, I love his x factor and sure he played poorly on the weekend but 2 weeks ago he helped us split the demons in half. He can play as a marking target and has x factor and we would get nothing in return for him, irrespective of whether we got a f/a in or not.

Would keep. Need his line breaking ability.
Define x factor for me? Provide an example of Grant doing "an x factor" this season?

He averages 14.5 disposals in a gun team as an outside player. He's just an average footballer. Averaging 60 SC points.

It's not about what he get for him (although I don't know how you figure we'll get nothing? We'd get something), it's about providing opportunities to players with much larger upsides.

Also, note the caveat in my original post, "if he has a good offer...."

I've always thought Hunter had the Stevie J's about him (in a good way). Probably wouldn't trade him, unless there was a super-quick, silky outside mid we'd definitely get at 6.

We've got a glut of similar mids and one or two are going to be left standing when the music stops. I think the play over the next year or two will be packaging a couple of good depth players for one very good player or high draft pick.

Define x factor for me? Provide an example of Grant doing "an x factor" this season?

He averages 14.5 disposals in a gun team as an outside player. He's just an average footballer. Averaging 60 SC points.

It's not about what he get for him (although I don't know how you figure we'll get nothing? We'd get something), it's about providing opportunities to players with much larger upsides.

Like his game 3 weeks ago against the Dee's when he kicked 3 goals in the first quarter. I think his defensive efforts have been pretty good too.

He fits the system really nicely. Reason being is that when we want to put Stringer and Crameri in the middle for 5 mins per quarter players like Grant and Bontempelli can rotate forward and act as marking targets.

Plus I don't think we would get anything remotely of value for him in terms of compensation. The prototype footballer these days are Fyfe and Stringer. Players who can play either forward or midfield at a high level and then move into another part of the ground and cause damage. Stringer does that as a forward/mid and fyfe the other way around.

I'm a huge fan of players that can be flexable, act as a marking target and be good at ground level. Bonts is another. Grant despite having some limitations can do this (Obviously not at the level the others can) but he is worth keeping on to (especially as we would get like a token 3rd rounder (which I don't really care for this year).

image.jpg

Gotta laugh when a Saints fan drops a hand grenade and people start off on bizarro trade tangents accordingly.

Haha exactly what I was thinking, it was just a rumour and everyone stated panicking. I personally think the Saints would again be happy to go to the draft this year and pick up some young players, similar to what we've done over the last few years. If they're going after trades I don't think they'd go after someone like Grant, who is an average player and is 26. Good players younger, yes, but have a feeling they'll hit the trade/FA table hard next year as opposed to this year.

I was expecting something wittier than that. I'm flat.
Ernie says: Macca doesn't need pins and needles to make me numb.

Ernie says: nah, you've stolen all my pins to put in your talia doll.

Ernie says: shouldn't you be getting a room with your Jarrad grant doll?

Hope one of those picked you up :p

I don't want to trade Hunter, either. But if he still wants out (as has been widely discussed) and he decides he will walk anyway, then we have to get the best possible deal we can. Luckily for us, there are a few clubs circling so there's potential for a good result.

Haha exactly what I was thinking, it was just a rumour and everyone stated panicking. I personally think the Saints would again be happy to go to the draft this year and pick up some young players, similar to what we've done over the last few years. If they're going after trades I don't think they'd go after someone like Grant, who is an average player and is 26. Good players younger, yes, but have a feeling they'll hit the trade/FA table hard next year as opposed to this year.

I'd have thought the Saints would be in the market for a KPD rather than some outside speed? What about their collection of Jacks?

Word on the Carlton board is that Kreuzer has only been offered a 2 year deal!

He'd would have to have rocks in his head to accept that and not look at our offer.

Did I read on here, or in the papers that the Dogs have a 4 year deal in front of him? Jeez...they have a 3 year rebuild ahead of them.

Might get extended out to 4 years if they have to pay out Jones and account for the spend in next year's cap. LMAO...I'm going to go read Carlton's thread on Jones again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I read on here, or in the papers that the Dogs have a 4 year deal in front of him? Jeez...they have a 3 year rebuild ahead of them.

Might get extended out to 4 years if they have to pay out Jones and account for the spend in next year's cap. LMAO...I'm going to go read Carlton's thread on Jones again...

GWS and us are offering 4 year deals. A very reliable source on our board said both teams are very interested.

Like his game 3 weeks ago against the Dee's when he kicked 3 goals in the first quarter. I think his defensive efforts have been pretty good too.

He fits the system really nicely. Reason being is that when we want to put Stringer and Crameri in the middle for 5 mins per quarter players like Grant and Bontempelli can rotate forward and act as marking targets.

Plus I don't think we would get anything remotely of value for him in terms of compensation. The prototype footballer these days are Fyfe and Stringer. Players who can play either forward or midfield at a high level and then move into another part of the ground and cause damage. Stringer does that as a forward/mid and fyfe the other way around.

I'm a huge fan of players that can be flexable, act as a marking target and be good at ground level. Bonts is another. Grant despite having some limitations can do this (Obviously not at the level the others can) but he is worth keeping on to (especially as we would get like a token 3rd rounder (which I don't really care for this year).
Sure. Don't disagree with any of that. Just think what he brings is easily replacable by a few of our young players. They have more upside and would have more games put games into them if Grant left so I wouldn't be upset at all.

Ernie says: Macca doesn't need pins and needles to make me numb.

Ernie says: nah, you've stolen all my pins to put in your talia doll.

Ernie says: shouldn't you be getting a room with your Jarrad grant doll?

Hope one of those picked you up :p
Hey, what I do with my Jarrad Grant doll is between me and the Victoria Police.

If SOS has offered kreuzer 2 years, he's trying to force him out.

And J Grant just isn't that good. I like him, and he's giving it everything, but he's just depth for us IMO.

Depth is important, heard Murphy speak about him earlier this year, and he still thinks Grant is a freak who hasn't shown his best yet. I would listen to Murph before anyone on this board.

I would not be paying big money for a ruckman. Yes we need one but we need to conserve money to keep as much talent as possible at the dogs. Clubs are going be hunting our stars and promising players big time when contracts are coming up.

We have already committed big money to a young tall that we hope will be good but that is yet to be proven. The way the game is going or in particular the Drinks game we play short on talls (excuse the pun) to ensure plenty of run a carry.

I was impressed by Currie against Footscray on the weekend, he is not getting a game because of Goldstein.

He needs a bit more weight but would suit Bevo's aim for a mobile tall.

If SOS has offered kreuzer 2 years, he's trying to force him out.

And J Grant just isn't that good. I like him, and he's giving it everything, but he's just depth for us IMO.

If Grant had been played as a skilled wing man that can take a mark instead of us waiting for him to develop into a KPF, am sure his career would look a whole lot different. On his best day, he's a hard match up - especially when floating inside 50. On his worst, his decision making is poor and his kicking lets him down.

Still...kid can run all day.

Given that we'd get noting as compo for him if he left, surely he's better to keep? There are kids threatening to take his spot, but they're developing too. Maybe 12 months more. Let's face it, Bevo will drop him if there is a younger player more deserving, but he has remained in the side.

Dont be surprised if we end up bigger players in the trade period than we all thought. We may also end up with a very very high pick if what I've been told is correct (and I have no reason to doubt that it is). Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen.

Surely if it came down to us and GWS for Kruezer, we would win that comfortably. On the basis the contracts are the same,

Melbourne team > West Sydney team.
Can walk in as first ruck / resting fwd > GWS already has Mumford and a glut of big forwards they already can't play.
Finals team > Team still pushing for finals.

Call me biased but I can't really see any advantages of GWS over us.

I think Grant's been good this year. He is not going to be a star, but atleast he looks like he's busting his arse for the team.

He's disappointing for such a high draft pick, but if he plays like he did this year all the time he should always be around the best 22. A POD aswell.

And if losing Hunter can get us Omeara or May we'd be crazy not to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back