Preview Round 23, 2015 - Port Adelaide vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we can feel disrespected by Freo, there reasons having 0 to do with us but it certainly decreases the interest in the contest.
I think it puts more pressure on a club that will already be under the microscope but hey, the pressure (after the chokers tag) didn't bother us in 04.

To beat Fremantle - control waters and fyfe and you win. Their veterans are falling over the 2015 line which is a receipe for missing the gf. I won't be putting money on them.

We get what we deserve. And this year we deserve to finish the year in round 23 against a reserves team at home. I am sure the reality of this year will hit harder as coaches, players and supporters watch finals with no port adelaide starting next week. Going to game to support the team, watch our upcoming talent and top day out with family.

LOL. So we deserve to play their reserves side when Melbourne played their full side the week before, do we? Every other side in the competition got the chance to play a Fremantle side that was invested in the game. They are cheating us out of a quality game. But it's ok, because we lost to Brisbane and Carlton, right? Well, we also beat Hawthorn twice with players missing.

Speaking of Carlton, apparently they deserved to play Fremantle's best team too. But not us. No, we deserve to get zero benefit from this game at all. Why don't they just call it off if it means nothing? Or better yet, our players should just sit on the ground and let them train by themselves - not our responsibility to provide the AFL with product when they can't even guarantee it themselves.

When we finished top in 2003 3 games clear, with the last three games against Melbourne, Richmond and Adelaide, did we get the chance to rest our entire team? Because according to the AFL, we should have sent our fringe players up against both Melbourne and Richmond who couldn't make finals anyway. Cost us a flag, but we had an obligation to the game itself and not just to what we could get out of it.

I won't be cheering because the game now means nothing. There is no emotional investment in a "what if" or any benefit to our development as a premiership winning side. The AFL has now opened Pandora's Box as far as I'm concerned giving the green light to rest players who don't have an injury other than fatigue. Next year if we or any other team finishes games clear in a certain position, why bother fielding a competitive team? Just go through the motions and play the games you feel like playing.

What this is doing is saying we are a worse team than Melbourne and Carlton. At best, on the same level as them. They couldn't rest players for those games, but they can for ours. And that ******* stinks to high heaven.

LOL. So we deserve to play their reserves side when Melbourne played their full side the week before, do we? Every other side in the competition got the chance to play a Fremantle side that was invested in the game. They are cheating us out of a quality game. But it's ok, because we lost to Brisbane and Carlton, right? Well, we also beat Hawthorn twice with players missing.

Speaking of Carlton, apparently they deserved to play Fremantle's best team too. But not us. No, we deserve to get zero benefit from this game at all. Why don't they just call it off if it means nothing? Or better yet, our players should just sit on the ground and let them train by themselves - not our responsibility to provide the AFL with product when they can't even guarantee it themselves.

When we finished top in 2003 3 games clear, with the last three games against Melbourne, Richmond and Adelaide, did we get the chance to rest our entire team? Because according to the AFL, we should have sent our fringe players up against both Melbourne and Richmond who couldn't make finals anyway. Cost us a flag, but we had an obligation to the game itself and not just to what we could get out of it.

I won't be cheering because the game now means nothing. There is no emotional investment in a "what if" or any benefit to our development as a premiership winning side. The AFL has now opened Pandora's Box as far as I'm concerned giving the green light to rest players who don't have an injury other than fatigue. Next year if we or any other team finishes games clear in a certain position, why bother fielding a competitive team? Just go through the motions and play the games you feel like playing.

What this is doing is saying we are a worse team than Melbourne and Carlton. At best, on the same level as them. They couldn't rest players for those games, but they can for ours. And that ******* stinks to high heaven.

We already played you at our full strength side, round one :)

It's a good chance for you guys to play those fringe players and see who gets to keep a spot on the list next season, last chance to do that.

It's at Adelaide Oval so why don't they instead of resting 11 players just send their best 11 cricketers over and have a nice game of 20/20 which would no doubt create a lot more interest to the paying public.

I don't have a problem with what Freo are doing but it sucks for those who will show up and for Port who are trying to get more out of this season. Kinda wish this was at Perth as well.
Seasons over. Round 22 hit and giggle meaningless affairs mean nothing whether freo bring 2 or 22 of their best players.

We shouldnt even send a team over for this game.

Let the younger fellas have a run for Peel in the final this weekend whilst the older guys can put their feet up in the stands and enjoy a nice shandy or two before the real season starts next week.

This round has zero interest for us.

If Ken were to make one left field selection it might pique a bit of interest and get some people to the game or watching on TV (after all that's what generates the AFL's massive profits). Mitch Harvey would be my choice.

I'd like to think that Freo's actions are a bit of an insult to the integrity of the competition but then I look at the draw, the rulings of the MRP, umpiring standards, annual Wheel of Fortune with the rules, that the AFL approved Freo's request and think what integrity?

It is what it is so as The Beatles sang so long ago Let it Be.

I'm a bit pissed from a value for money point of view. I fork out the best part of a grand for me and the kids to watch 11 proper games of footy and now one of those games is just going to be an exhibition match. Would be a nice gesture if Ross 'the most professional coach in the afl' Lyon could reimburse us for the waste of money (and time). But it wouldn't even cross the mind of that overpaid ivory-towered campaigner that the average footy supporter deserves to get what they pay for.

Typical afl response. They put rules in place to stop this sort of thing but write a letter and ask nicely - no worries, go ahead. At least the highly valued betting agencies have the chance to frame their odds accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much revenue do you predict that you would have lost? I wouldn't have Freo would pull a big crowd in what was already a dead rubber?

How much revenue do you predict that you would have lost? I wouldn't have Freo would pull a big crowd in what was already a dead rubber?

I was about to ask exactly the same thing.

Fremantle fielding a half-strength team will have very little, if anything, to do with our crowd attendance. We aren't contending for a spot in the top eight, so this was going to be a nothing game either way.

All I am saying is we finished 9th. And only have ourselves to blame. Why Carlton and Melbourne relevant? What other teams decide to do is their prerogative and they play within the rules of the AFL. Believe me, it farkin stinks and as peeved as any other port supporter. But we dust ourselves off, learn and move on to 2016. The least thing we can do Saturday is instill more confidence into S Gray, Arch, Amon etc. So for that reason alone I go to the game and cheer for the lads

To beat Fremantle - control waters and fyfe
Took me a while to work out the cut of your jib. "But Beau Waters played for West Coast! And he's retired!!"

r0_5_2196_1240_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Despite the disappointment of Power fans, resting players would be another smart move by Lyon, giving the club the best chance of winning an unlikely premiership. Each of the other top 4 contenders are playing 2015 lightweights, whereas Power are genuine class, and out to show that. The other 3 games will be over at quarter time if not before.

It is not simply a case of freshening the geriatrics in the Dockers line up. Players such as Crozier, Clarke, Hannath and Taberner are genuine options. Getting a game into them at the top level with the chance to impress at the pointy end of the season will put some edge into the contest.

I think it will be a good end of season game.

I seem to be the only one who thinks what Freo is doing is absolutely fine? In fact it would be downright stupid of them to do anything different.

Typical afl response. They put rules in place to stop this sort of thing but write a letter and ask nicely - no worries, go ahead. At least the highly valued betting agencies have the chance to frame their odds accordingly.
The rule they put in has nothing to do with what we are doing or have done in the past. It's only against resting to try and manipulate the finals draw or getting a better draft pick.

Why is everyone kicking up a stink that Fremantle are bringing over their 'B' team? It's a nothing game. Our fault for not being in the think of things at this time of the season really.

I'm not fussed. Let's just go out there, end the season with a winning feeling, enjoy all the goals we pile on then look forward to next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back