List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Henderson to Geelong for 2016 first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll vomit in my mouth if we give up that pick for Henderson.

They have ZERO leverage. They've already kicked him out of the club so basically we can offer whatever we want if he nominates us alone, because there is now way under any circumstances that Henderson can remain at Carlton. He doesn't want to be there and Carlton don't want him there.

We need him to nominate us alone and then it's essentially a scenario of take what we offer or you get nothing when he becomes a delisted free agent. We must use that to our advantage. 2nd rnd or nothing.

Yep totally agree here. It would be wasteful to use our second top 10 pick in God knows how many years on a player that they said wouldn't have been selected for the last three rounds.

Carlton are kidding themselves.

Everyone just settle. Henderson's value doesn't change because our pick has become better. He is still only worth a late first rounder or early second. For them to get our first pick, one of two things needs to happen:

1. Evening up with picks - e.g. 8 and 26 are swapped for Henderson and a late teen pick.

2. Evening up with a player - Troy Menzel being the only real candidate.

I'd take option two Eddie. Lock it in

Everyone just settle. Henderson's value doesn't change because our pick has become better. He is still only worth a late first rounder or early second. For them to get our first pick, one of two things needs to happen:

1. Evening up with picks - e.g. 8 and 26 are swapped for Henderson and a late teen pick.

Would be interesting to see if Geelong would roll the dice on 7-8 for Henderson and Menzel. Would certainly help in their pursuit of Treloar. It gives them the best pick out of all the interested clubs. It almost becomes them trading two average guys for a very good player type of trade.

Can you imagine the uproar if/when he does a knee though? They'll be out for blood that we took another player with injury issues...
My concern with Troy Menzel is that because of the LARS, its a matter of when not if. It's just a matter of whether it is, 2016 or 2025. LARS are great but I believe their life span isn't huge. Its a risk worth taking but its a reasonable chance of happening some day.

Where do I sign?

People need to be prepared that if we have pick 7/8/9 we will probably trade it to dissuade adelaide from matching danger.

I wouldnt trade it for hendo alone but we could if we get back a later pick in the first round e.g. if yarran went to richmond and we ended up with richmonds first rounder back from carlton. I would only trade 7 straight up for a quality young mid.

On menzel he is contracted and despite poor form is worth a high first rounder.i rate him at 5-10 and hendo 16-20 so if we are going for both we will need to put more than pick 7 in.

How about we just offer that pick for Treloar instead

I would be offering pick 7 and our 2nd rounder next year for treloar but i think hes a done deal to pies/rich,too late.

Definitely should put 7 on the table for a quality mid though.

For 1. 26 will end up being later as compo picks for scooter (who we will get) and berger etc will be end of first round.
Yarran to rich/haw/freo/wc for 15-20
Picks 8 and 29 to carl,15-20 back to geelong along with a swap of late picks i could live with.

2. If we want menzel we need more as he is not ooc.
I would suggest pick 8+ next years first 15-20 would be required.

Completely unfathomable that we would even consider trading a top 10 pick for an UNCONTRACTED player from another club.

I am a Henderson fan but even if he was under contract, I wouldn't want us to part with a top ten pick for him.

The fact he's OOC gives us all the leverage in this situation, just as Brisbane had the upper hand when negotiating for Christensen.

If Henderson went in the draft he would certainly make it to us, particularly if he refuses to do a medical/meet with other clubs.

But really, I think we're fair traders and we wouldn't try to rip Carlton off. At the same time, a top 10 pick would be absolute highway robbery by them and I have full confidence we won't part with it.

This. We have been handed the prostate exam with thick fingers more than once of late when it comes to OOC players and its just the nature of the position. Im not saying we Carlton should get pick 34 for him, but giving up pick 7 or 8 is just madness.

We have been devoid of top 10 picks forever (well except last year ..hi Cocky) and to give one up to get Hendo in the door does not cut it for mine.

There are options out there - we saw AFC swap last year - and its up to us to find them and make it work.
If we land our alleged FA targets then would it be worth trading the 2016 RD1 to Carlton for Hendo. The premise being with PD, Scooter and Hendo we could push back into the low end of the 8 giving up pick 12 perhaps. Its not great but better than losing 7 for it.

Go Catters

For 1. 26 will end up being later as compo picks for scooter (who we will get) and berger etc will be end of first round.
Yarran to rich/haw/freo/wc for 15-20
Picks 8 and 29 to carl,15-20 back to geelong along with a swap of late picks i could live with.

2. If we want menzel we need more as he is not ooc.
I would suggest pick 8+ next years first 15-20 would be required.
My option 2 could only realistically happen if Troy told Carlton he wanted out and would leave next year if they didn't release him now. It would help if Carlton are desperate for our pick to execute another trade.

No way would I give up more than our first for him and Hendo. He is still some risk injury wise.

My option 2 could only realistically happen if Troy told Carlton he wanted out and would leave next year if they didn't release him now. It would help if Carlton are desperate for our pick to execute another trade.

No way would I give up more than our first for him and Hendo. He is still some risk injury wise.

I am pretty sure menzel has two years to run on his contract.he may come but he wont come cheap.

Personally i would prefer we put pick 8 out there to try and get treloar or aish or bennell (pending off field assessment) as i feel our mids are more of a need.

I am pretty sure menzel has two years to run on his contract.he may come but he wont come cheap.

Personally i would prefer we put pick 8 out there to try and get treloar or aish or bennell (pending off field assessment) as i feel our mids are more of a need.
Nah, he extended until end 2016.

Agree we have greater needs. Menzel is really just a potential way Carlton could get that pick off us. At the end of the day, it's unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he extended until end 2016.

Agree we have greater needs. Menzel is really just a potential way Carlton could get that pick off us. At the end of the day, it's unlikely.

Totally agree. Menz2 is not really required, so given we have more pressing issues, :/ further consideration I'd pass

The thing about Treloar is it has been known almost all season he is gettable and we have apparently not gone in for him. Presumably this is because we are (a) confident of getting PD (b) not able to accommodate his demands ($700k plus) and/or (c) don't have the trade currency.

Im usually in the camp that appreciates the more intangible things at footy clubs - one club players, loyalty, even the romance in the game so to speak.

That said, I can't see the T Menz thing working in any way. He's a talent no doubt, but our needs are way out of kilter with what he brings to us. Not saying he would not make us better, he would. But not in an area that needs the most work.

Sure the brothers Menzel sounds great - but the reality is the knees collectively are scary. And I can't stomach watching 2 sets of them each week.

Steer clear.

GO Catters

The thing about Treloar is it has been known almost all season he is gettable and we have apparently not gone in for him. Presumably this is because we are (a) confident of getting PD (b) not able to accommodate his demands ($700k plus) and/or (c) don't have the trade currency.

And with all 3 of those, there is no way I can see keeping out list the way it is, adding the 3 we have targeting and adding Treloar. Just not possible.
If Mots or Blitz are not signed, then that changes things.

GO Catters

Can you imagine the uproar if/when he does a knee though? They'll be out for blood that we took another player with injury issues...
I'd log out of my account for a good month until the dust settles. It would be carnage [Tony Greig voice] on the board...

Yes I agree, we already have less trading currency than some teams so getting into a bidding war whilst chasing other players wouldn't end with us having Treloar, sadly.

People need to be prepared that if we have pick 7/8/9 we will probably trade it to dissuade adelaide from matching danger.

I wouldnt trade it for hendo alone but we could if we get back a later pick in the first round e.g. if yarran went to richmond and we ended up with richmonds first rounder back from carlton. I would only trade 7 straight up for a quality young mid.

On menzel he is contracted and despite poor form is worth a high first rounder.i rate him at 5-10 and hendo 16-20 so if we are going for both we will need to put more than pick 7 in.

Do you really think that we will trade it to avoid Adelaide matching our offer to Dangerfield. I know in theory that it is now more attractive for Adelaide to force a trade but I still can't see it happening.

Do you really think that we will trade it to avoid Adelaide matching our offer to Dangerfield. I know in theory that it is now more attractive for Adelaide to force a trade but I still can't see it happening.
If we leave 7/8/9 sitting there I can't see why Crows wouldn't match.

As stated above, there is no way we can fit him in if we get all 3 of the other players we're targeting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back