Cushy uni jobs for scungey uni students

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a cousin that used to work in the megastore at the MCG. He loved it, great money, the atmosphere, sport etc. He did this whilst being an apprentice/studying architecture at uni for about 4 years I think.

Sorry for the bump.

Finally reached my patience level with my current job and want out ASAP. Spent the last year working nightfill at Coles, and * me it's horrible. The particular store I'm at is going through a restructuring, and it's meant I've been forced to work nearly every night, regardless of the fact that I'm only casual and live 40 minutes from work. So I go from uni (40 minutes one way) to home, and then back out to work.(40 minutes the other way) It's stuffing me about with uni and I really just want out of retail.

I've heard that it's possible for teaching students to be teachers aides. Anyone able to confirm this? Also/or how do I get into mentoring? I really just want to be in a learning environment 24/7.

Sorry for the bump.

Finally reached my patience level with my current job and want out ASAP. Spent the last year working nightfill at Coles, and **** me it's horrible. The particular store I'm at is going through a restructuring, and it's meant I've been forced to work nearly every night, regardless of the fact that I'm only casual and live 40 minutes from work. So I go from uni (40 minutes one way) to home, and then back out to work.(40 minutes the other way) It's stuffing me about with uni and I really just want out of retail.

I've heard that it's possible for teaching students to be teachers aides. Anyone able to confirm this? Also/or how do I get into mentoring? I really just want to be in a learning environment 24/7.

As far as I am aware, you cannot be an Aide unless you are qualified

Not directed at anyone in this thread - so don't get the wrong idea...

Not much sympathy for a lot of uni students who think because they're in Uni they're too good to get their hands dirty. I used to work in automotive workshops and yards in the stinking hot sun and freezing cold winters and pissing rain, also did a lot of time labouring and all while at uni (#humblebrag). Roll your sleeves up, folks. Hard work never killed anyone (except maybe the ancient Egyptians working on the pyramids...).

Not much sympathy for a lot of uni students who think because they're in Uni they're too good to get their hands dirty. I used to work in automotive workshops and yards in the stinking hot sun and freezing cold winters and pissing rain, also did a lot of time labouring and all while at uni (#humblebrag). Roll your sleeves up, folks. Hard work never killed anyone (except maybe the ancient Egyptians working on the pyramids...).
The jews built the pyramids but yeah i agree

learn everything you can about coffee. study it. learn about how its grown. different varietals. roasting processes. best practice in making and serving (hint, look towards specialty coffee roasters like sensory lab/seven seeds/small batch). Then take this knowledge with the attitude of 'i want you to teach me everything about making coffee and im ready to learn' to a specialty coffee store.

quite often (when i was hiring) we would look for people with no experience but lots of passion for the industry, meant we could teach them our way. once you start working, youll find it hard to want to leave the industry

Anyone done or heard good/bad things about Domino's pizza delivery? Got offered an interview which is $6 a delivery, doing the maths doesn't seem great.
Had mates in high school who did it. Pay is pretty meh, but the work itself is fairly cruisy (if you're a driver, that is). Drive around listening to tunes most of the night; occasionally they got tips to make up for the mediocre pay.
May as well take it for now. People hang s**t on fast food jobs, and they aren't particularly glamorous (I worked at Maccas for 4 years), but having at least one job shows you're not a total dickhead, and gives you references/resume fodder to get something better. Also since most of the workforce there are likely to be young it's a pretty friendly/sociable atmosphere for the most part.

Had mates in high school who did it. Pay is pretty meh, but the work itself is fairly cruisy (if you're a driver, that is). Drive around listening to tunes most of the night; occasionally they got tips to make up for the mediocre pay.
May as well take it for now. People hang s**t on fast food jobs, and they aren't particularly glamorous (I worked at Maccas for 4 years), but having at least one job shows you're not a total dickhead, and gives you references/resume fodder to get something better. Also since most of the workforce there are likely to be young it's a pretty friendly/sociable atmosphere for the most part.

Thanks for the response, yeah will probably go to the interview at least unless I hear something from the hundreds of other jobs i've applied for between now and then. At least at the interview, I will be able to ask plenty of questions to try and sound out whether it is worth it or not. The only thing that worries me is there's no base pay- would it then be flat out rude to refuse to do any other duties if i'm not being paid for them?

It's worth looking into getting your security license. There is always jobs in demand and if your a native English speaker you will be tasked with doing the more interesting jobs. There's some really, really cushy security jobs out there where you basically do nothing your entire shift. As a uni student I'd probably recommend event security, basically sporting matches, concerts etc.

The downside is your going to have to pay close to 1k to get licensed.

Seen some uni students watch concrete dry, making sure people don't walk in it/kids don't write their names in it etc.Not sure how you get such a gig though, seems cushy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen some uni students watch concrete dry, making sure people don't walk in it/kids don't write their names in it etc.Not sure how you get such a gig though, seems cushy.

Gee, where do I sign up? Let me guess though, 2 years experience required....

Anyone done or heard good/bad things about Domino's pizza delivery? Got offered an interview which is $6 a delivery, doing the maths doesn't seem great.

It's ****ed.

You'd likely be doing work in the kitchen too and talking to the customers in the shop.

But yeah, s**t pay and those kitchens in summer are unbearable.

It's stuffed.

You'd likely be doing work in the kitchen too and talking to the customers in the shop.

But yeah, s**t pay and those kitchens in summer are unbearable.

Turned down the job at the interview, I assume I was basically guaranteed the job. Apparently I could sit there and study whilst waiting for deliveries... thanks but no thanks.

Labouring pays fairly well too and it's a good change for those who don't get physical too often.

There are part time pick packer jobs around the Dandenong area that pay well too, but unfortunately most ask for experience which mos wouldn't have.

Nursery jobs good too, don't seem to be too many of those going around, probably hired everyone they need for spring/summer.

If the son quits Uni for Minning, slap him in the back of the head.
It's good money but I was earning more 9 years ago than currently in similar roles and roster :(
Funny- he's a Bombers fan like you :)
I think the wages of several years ago were unrealistic- they had to come down at some stage. What was it-$100k for being a kitchen hand or a cleaner?? :eek: that's obscene!

The only time I'd encourage him to work and not study would be if there was another mini-boom coming up and he was still a couple of years from finishing. Never let a chance go by, mate- you never let a chance go by! $$$$
You can do do much online these days, though, that I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to negotiate to do his Uni course part time or online over his break.

learn everything you can about marijuana. study it. learn about how its grown. different varietals. roasting processes. best practice in making and serving (hint, look towards specialty marijuana growers like sensory lab/seven seeds/small batch). Then take this knowledge with the attitude of 'i want you to teach me everything about making marijuana and im ready to learn' to a specialty marijuana store.

quite often (when i was hiring) we would look for people with no experience but lots of passion for the industry, meant we could teach them our way. once you start working, youll find it hard to want to leave the industry

EFA

Funny- he's a Bombers fan like you :)
I think the wages of several years ago were unrealistic- they had to come down at some stage. What was it-$100k for being a kitchen hand or a cleaner?? :eek: that's obscene!

The only time I'd encourage him to work and not study would be if there was another mini-boom coming up and he was still a couple of years from finishing. Never let a chance go by, mate- you never let a chance go by! $$$$
You can do do much online these days, though, that I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to negotiate to do his Uni course part time or online over his break.
Really 100k for a kitchen hand is acceptable, if you break down the hrs you would work for a 2 and 1 roster & include weekend work and the night shift its easily an acceptable wage.

I've only really found out about those online study options and would really recommend the. For people just wanting to better them self and get a better job down the track. They allow you to worn and pay off the mortgage as well as study

I do promo work.

$25-30 an hour, have worked some really cool campaigns at like sporting events and concerts. Some shifts are pretty eh and you have to be careful with what companies you work for. A lot of them are "go stand in a shopping centre and harass people" but I've avoided that like the plague.

Avoid any company that offers commission pretty much, because sales promotions is s**t. Event promotions is where it's at.

Just be really, really persistent about applications. You will get a job. It's very frustrating and depressing to sit there getting rejections day after day, but one day, you'll randomly get a call or email and then you're in. You just have to remember that these rejections aren't personal – you're nothing but a number and some letters on a resume. It's depressing but everyone gets a job.

I reckon supermarket jobs are the best way to go really. You get good pay and although managers are almost always absolute losers who'll treat you pretty badly, you can basically cruise through shifts too and it's easy work.

Just be really, really persistent about applications. You will get a job. It's very frustrating and depressing to sit there getting rejections day after day, but one day, you'll randomly get a call or email and then you're in. You just have to remember that these rejections aren't personal – you're nothing but a number and some letters on a resume. It's depressing but everyone gets a job.

I reckon supermarket jobs are the best way to go really. You get good pay and although managers are almost always absolute losers who'll treat you pretty badly, you can basically cruise through shifts too and it's easy work.

This sounds a bit lame, but thanks for this post. I really needed to hear this. I haven't been having much luck with job applications lately, and I was getting a bit upset about it, assuming (quite stupidly I now realise) that it was something personal. Reading this and also hearing of similar things happening to other people in my circle of friends makes me feel a little bit better.

Anyway, I've actually managed to land a job interview with my local Woolworths store this week, and I seriously hope I get the job. Not that it will be anything overly glamorous or exciting, but I'm desperate for cash and need something to do these holidays before I go insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back