Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Win10 Error.png

Please... someone tell me they have figured out how to sort this s**t out?

I got the notification to download Win10 yesterday and did it through the Windows update tool. Installation failed at some point, because when I walked back in the room, I was staring at the Window7 login screen again.

Decided to download the ISO and tried installing through that method. Still no dice.

Have attempted several different methods and none can get 100% through the install before throwing up an error and dying in the arse. In fact, after uninstalling AVG and nVidia drivers as per instructions on Microsoft's website, the process managed to kill the PC enough that it wouldnt boot back into Win7 and I had to restore it.

Really cant be ****ed disconnecting all hard drives, peripherals etc and install to a single SSD just for it to fail again.

Anyone a computer genius?

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
You should copy-paste that code given as to what went wrong into google search and find out EXACTLY what that error code means and how to fix.
Did that last night and it seems like heaps of people have had the problem and nobody can pinpoint the cause.

Lots of generic answers from Microsoft such as disk cleanups, disconnecting surplus drives, blah blah. In other words, they don't know.

Might try a clean install as a last option but I need to back all my s**t up which I was trying to avoid lol.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did that last night and it seems like heaps of people have had the problem and nobody can pinpoint the cause.

Lots of generic answers from Microsoft such as disk cleanups, disconnecting surplus drives, blah blah. In other words, they don't know.

Might try a clean install as a last option but I need to back all my s**t up which I was trying to avoid lol.
I guess that's the only way really (clean install + back up all your stuff).
Ive heard some people say it took them all weekend to download/install W10, some that they got errors galore, some that certain applications aren't working after install, etc.
I never had a single problem and my download/install took just 30-45 mins in total.
Imo, there's probably a DRIVER or DRIVERS on your PC that cater to graphics cards, and functions in the BOOT process (that your error mentioned), that are clashing. I had zero extraneous drivers of any kind when I installed. But it's often usually DRIVERS that cause install problems I know.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I guess that's the only way really (clean install + back up all your stuff).
Ive heard some people say it took them all weekend to download/install W10, some that they got errors galore, some that certain applications aren't working after install, etc.
I never had a single problem and my download/install took just 30-45 mins in total.
Imo, there's probably a DRIVER or DRIVERS on your PC that cater to graphics cards, and functions in the BOOT process (that your error mentioned), that are clashing. I had zero extraneous drivers of any kind when I installed. But it's often usually DRIVERS that cause install problems I know.
Yeah I am thinking it is definitely a software problem of that nature, or perhaps a chipset driver issue specifically (has been suggested intel rapid store doesn't like the process), which is why I will probably have to disconnect the extra storage drives and uninstall all driver software before trying again. Which basically means I should just back up all my stuff, format, do a clean install and pray it works or I have no OS.
I have run through a number of those solutions already, while some don't apply as I'm running Win7. Cheers for having a look though.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I am thinking it is definitely a software problem of that nature, or perhaps a chipset driver issue specifically (has been suggested intel rapid store doesn't like the process), which is why I will probably have to disconnect the extra storage drives and uninstall all driver software before trying again. Which basically means I should just back up all my stuff, format, do a clean install and pray it works or I have no OS.

I have run through a number of those solutions already, while some don't apply as I'm running Win7. Cheers for having a look though.
Try the chipset driver issue first. Uninstall all added on drivers (that you downloaded/installed off the net) for those and try the W10 install again....imo that should work. Without having to uninstall tons of software/applications, or even doing a format.

RustyCage

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Upgraded to Windows 10 on my mums laptop after doing so successfully on a couple of other laptops and a PC, and after the update was complete the desktop screen will load, but flashes on and off and I can't click on anything.

Any ideas on how to fix?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Any luck?

Ive upgraded to W10 on 3 laptops and a desktop without issues.
Should have updated this for the benefit of others - thanks for the reminder!

Had a mate with the exact same issues as me, and it reminded me of another time he was having trouble installing Win 7. We had to disconnect all other HDD/SSDs except the one it was installing to, and then it worked no problem. Did the same thing on his machine with the Win10 installation and had success. Pretty confident this will be the issue with my PC too - just need to set aside the time to actually upgrade now.

Should have updated this for the benefit of others - thanks for the reminder!

Had a mate with the exact same issues as me, and it reminded me of another time he was having trouble installing Win 7. We had to disconnect all other HDD/SSDs except the one it was installing to, and then it worked no problem. Did the same thing on his machine with the Win10 installation and had success. Pretty confident this will be the issue with my PC too - just need to set aside the time to actually upgrade now.

hmmm unusual.

My desktop has 2xSATA3 and 2xSSD drives, no problems installing although W10 runs of 1 dedicated SSD and the other is used for gaming/fast access. all the other stuff such as music/movies etc runs off the SATA3 drives

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
hmmm unusual.

My desktop has 2xSATA3 and 2xSSD drives, no problems installing although W10 runs of 1 dedicated SSD and the other is used for gaming/fast access. all the other stuff such as music/movies etc runs off the SATA3 drives
Yep, both my mate and I have pretty much the same setup and for some reason, his machine didn't want to install Win7 without removing the excess drives, but mine has always been fine. Now with Win10, we both seem to be having the issue.

I am assuming that there is a chipset / controller conflict with certain drives or motherboards that Windows just spits the dummy at. He copped it for both versions, I only have issues with one.

*ign computers eh?

everytime I turn on my laptop mouse pad doesn't work have to plug in external mouse uninstall driver restart plug out external mouse then it works bloody annoying. drivers are all up to date only happened since I upgraded to windows 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back