News Kelly and Stokes to announce retirements Wednesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel as though I'm mourning a close friends passing. Time is a bitch and age is a campaigner. The era these legends helped deliver will never be repeated. Ever. The wins. Week after week. So frequent that we who lived through the early 80.s debacle, then the. 90's horror became expectant. We grew fat and content on their skills, giftings and sweat. After all Those years of going hungry at the table of victory, matthew stokes and James Kelly were a huge part of the feast.

And now the feast is over. And we must tighten our belts. And grow accustomed to the new regime.

But I will never forget or stop being grateful for the joy that matthew stokes, James Kelly and all their comrades gave us.

Feel as though I'm mourning a close friends passing. Time is a bitch and age is a campaigner. The era these legends helped deliver will never be repeated. Ever. The wins. Week after week. So frequent that we who lived through the early 80.s debacle, then the. 90's horror became expectant. We grew fat and content on their skills, giftings and sweat. After all Those years of going hungry at the table of victory, matthew stokes and James Kelly were a huge part of the feast.

And now the feast is over. And we must tighten our belts. And grow accustomed to the new regime.

But I will never forget or stop being grateful for the joy that matthew stokes, James Kelly and all their comrades gave us.

Nicely put....I can't add anything to that. :thumbsu:

Nicely put....I can't add anything to that. :thumbsu:

Me neither.

Let them go around in a car.
It's completely ridiculous if they play them. Worse than newmans 300th.

They've received their plaudits after the flags.
Put a game into a kid and move on.

It's already been announced Stokes is playing a farewell game on Saturday.

Expect the same announcement re: Kel tomorrow.

I know you're not a man for sentiment when it comes to football VC....., but playing them in a dead rubber is neither here nor there.

There are many things that make a club special....and respect for champions of the side is one of them...I think playing them one last time confirms the respect felt for these players from a special period in our history.

Caddy and Duncan won't play...Kelly deserves his place anyway...the way these players are treated and respected won't be lost on the young guys, and will be as much value as a single game anyway.

The way this is written it looks like it's not out of the realm of possibility that Stokes could play on elsewhere next year.
Yeah it certainly doesn't read as though he has no intention of going elsewhere does it

Nope. They deserve their send off games and thankfully the club agrees and is giving them the respect they deserve.

100% spot on.

We haven't been in this situation before as our legends have retired after premierships (Ling, Ottens) or after losing cutthroat finals (Scarlett, Corey).

Without a doubt the club is doing the right thing by both the players involved and the supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's already been announced Stokes is playing a farewell game on Saturday.

Expect the same announcement re: Kel tomorrow.
I know it has. It's just dumb.

Good to great is failing. Stokes was dropped. The club doesn't even think he's worthy.

Give someone a shot to learn a bit about what's needed in the off season.
Maybe Jansen and gore.
Let the club pressure them. "We want to see 12km"
'Oh hell this is quick, I can't get to 12'

But nope. Let's just waste the opportunity.
Meanwhile stokes and kelly can run around thinking about the beers about to come and the 6 months in Sth France next year.

I strongly disagree. The game means nothing in terms of win or loss. We are actually better off losing.

But more important is to honour a couple of players who have had been tremendous servants to the club over many years and who have had very good 2015 seasons. We are a family club who expect players to sign for less than market value for the good of the club. We should do the right thing when our senior players retire.

Good to great is failing. Stokes was dropped. The club doesn't even think he's worthy.

Maybe Jansen and gore.

Meanwhile stokes and kelly can run around thinking about the beers about to come and the 6 months in Sth France next year.

I disagree and I think the vast majority of Geelong supporters would disagree.

I'm certain that the guys who've shared blood, sweat and tears with Stokes and Kel through an unprecedented period of success would love to share a final game with them too.

I disagree and I think the vast majority of Geelong supporters would disagree.

I'm certain that the guys who've shared blood, sweat and tears with Stokes and Kel through an unprecedented period of success would love to share a final game with them too.
It will be Scott trying to not look like an arse.
No other reason to play stokes for one.

Maybe Jansen and gore.

Whilst I can see the point you are trying to make I personally have no issue with them getting a farewell.

We haven't had the chance to send players off in a long time so we may as well do it with nothing on the line.

Jansen or Gore may well get a shot still if other blokes who have been carrying anything get sent off to be fixed up.

It will be Scott trying to not look like an arse.
No other reason to play stokes for one.
Come off it vc. Every single club would do the same thing in the same position. In fact, I bet other teams do it this round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back