Prediction Who stays... who goes on NOW WITH ADDED POLL

Who STAYS on a 1 Yr deal for 2016

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be right and that would be a very uncomfortable position Enright is putting SJ in (through no fault of his own, of course).

As much as I'd like Boris to continue because we all love him, I think it's time. Thurlow has been groomed for his role and with Mackie and Lonergan we'll already have two 30+ guys down back.
The Lonergan contract extension at the end of last year.

*shakes head*

Boris will be top 5 in the B&F again. I think he has earned the right to go again if he wants.

The club hasn't actually confirmed Kelly yet, the Addy said it's to be announced tomorrow.

Officially announced tomorrow yes, but The Age is reporting that they've confirmed with the club this evening that Stokes and Kel are both playing their final games this week.

The Lonergan contract extension at the end of last year.

*shakes head*

Boris will be top 5 in the B&F again. I think he has earned the right to go again if he wants.

I know the Lonergan extension came about because the Dogs were after him, but was it before or after we'd missed out on Frawley?

I don't actually think Lonergan had a bad season at all. His last two games were awful but that label applies to everyone bar Dan Menzel.

How Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson and Kolo fit into the same team is another question.

I know the Lonergan extension came about because the Dogs were after him, but was it before or after we'd missed out on Frawley?

I don't actually think Lonergan had a bad season at all. His last two games were awful but that label applies to everyone bar Dan Menzel.

How Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson and Kolo fit into the same team is another question.
It was after. It was in December. I called it as a bad move at the time and it has transpired that way. Lonergan has had a poor year IMO and really hit the wall late in the season.

How about a soundtrack for Stevie J!

The Clash – Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Darling, you gotta let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be there till the end of time
So you gotta let me know

It's always tease, tease, tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day is fine and the next is black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know

[Chorus:]
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

This indecision's bugging me
(Esta indecision me molesta)
If you don't want me set me free
(Si no quieres librame)
Exactly who I'm supposed to be
(Digame que tengo ser)
Don't you know which clothes even fits me?
(Sabes que ropa me queda)
Come on and let me know
(Me tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow?
(Me debo ir o quedarme)

[Chorus: Repeat]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude on your thread and apologies if I am covering ground that might have been covered earlier. Also noting that it appears that Stokes and Kelly have decided to retire, maybe these comments are a bit irrelevant, but here goes anyway.

As I see it there are 6 players in very much the same boat age wise, very similar wonderful contributors over a long period and deserve to be treated with great respect being Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Stevie J, Andrew Mackie, Matty Stokes and Corey Enright. This is on the basis that Lonergan is contracted for 2016.

With the exception of Stokes all of the others have in my view had pretty good seasons. Clearly the club will have freed up a bit of list/cap space with our much loved Hamish, together with Rivers and Blease retiring. I think it might be time to move Dawson Simpson on has he has been around for a long while. There are some other boys on your list who I know nothing about apart from Luxford, being Cunico, Jansen and Read. Some of these may be rookies so maybe not really in the equation.

My view is that if I was in charge of list management at Geelong I would be talking to all six of those wonderful contributors named above and saying to them that, there is a place on the list for you. We will keep you on the list and pay you a reasonable base salary, plus performance bonuses for games played, on the condition that the sole determinant for you to continue is that if you are performing well enough you play in the seniors and if your form slips and others warrant inclusion ahead of you, then accept gracefully, time in the VFL.

Obviously they won't earn quite as much money, but still very much more than they will retired. If they are good enough, and personally I think that they are still all are good enough, they will be important players next year. If you manage to snare Dangerfield in particular, get Duncan, Clark and Stanley back fully fit, plus further improvement in Blicavs (who I think may become good enough to win the Brownlow one day), Caddy, Guthrie, Murdoch, Lang and Gregson, together with a much improved performance on recent times from Taylor and Hawkins, competition for spots in the team will be hot and who knows what might happen in 2016.

What I do know is that Bartel (I can't even believe that his position might be in question), Enright and Stevie J are too good and too proud as competitors to not provide very good value at the Cats next year. And I view Mackie not far behind them as well as Kelly with the only question mark I have on him being a few injuries he has had of late.

Now some will say you need to keep developing youth and that is true; but sometime that youth picked in the 60's and 70's in the draft (particularly as this draft is said to be pretty shallow), never ever makes it at AFL level and apart from the comparatively lower impact on the Salary Cap these players have, essentially just end up as list cloggers. In addition at the end of next year, you can get back into youth through that draft.

Anyway as I said, sorry to intrude, but I will be very disappointed if so many of these greats leave at the end of this year.

Just one further thing. At North, Boomer Harvey has now just signed his 7th or 8th one year contract in a row. There is probably little love for Boomer at your club, but we love him at North as I would imagine you do or should love Stevie J. (Personally apart from when he turns it on against us, I love watching Stevie go about his work). Contracting Boomer a year at a time has in my opinion extended Boomer's career much longer than we would have imagined. If however at any time in the last few years, Boomer had have said to the club, I want a 2 or 3 year deal, the club would in all probability have reneged and his career would have ended. I say that if it is good enough for Boomer to keep playing on 1 year deals, it should be good enough for many others as well once they enter their 30's.

the afl end players careers too early, in the round ball players are used as subs etc and have much longer careers
keeping injured young players is a silly strategy when they have failed to come up consistently

Wow the more you here about our list management the more it appears they are biased to certain players rather than basing calls on merit. Mackie is getting a two year deal? Why not one like everyone else? Bartel getting a trigger cause for a 1 to 2 year deal after an injury prone year and really only two good games. He has been offered the deal that was never offered to chapman at the same age despite his form at the end of the season being quite poor.

Johnson, the best performed of all our older players and the one who plays a position that we are lacking has been offered nothing at age 32. We already have a massive 6 retired players in a season and Simpson and Cowan also likely to go and still has been offered nothing. Enright who is 34 is being offered another. This stinks big time. Ever since Scott criticised Johnson after he kicked four goals you knew there was a stink to all this. Pathetic geelong. Pathetic.

Last edited:
Wow the more you here about our list management the more it appears they are biased to certain players rather than basing calls on merit. Mackie is getting a two year deal? Why not one like everyone else? Bartel getting a trigger cause for a 1 to 2 year deal after an injury prone year and really only two good games. He has been offered the deal that was never offered to chapman at the same age despite his form at the end of the season being quite poor.

Johnson, the best performed of all our older players and the one who plays a position that we are lacking has been offered nothing at age 32. We already have a massive 6 retired players in a season and Simpson and Cowan also likely to go and still has been offered nothing. Enright who is 34 is being offered another. This stinks big time. Ever since Scott criticised Johnson after he kicked four goals you knew there was a stink to all this. Pathetic geelong. Pathetic.

The bolded cannot be stressed enough. Johnson was one of only three to kick 20+ goals this year, and would have been among the few I felt confident in accomplishing the same feat next season too. There is a real dearth of reliable mid-sized goalkickers in our forward line; getting rid of one of the few who can be counted on to deliver scoreboard impact needlessly exacerbates a pre-existing problem and creates a further hole in our increasingly Swiss Cheese-looking list.

Last edited:
It was after. It was in December. I called it as a bad move at the time and it has transpired that way. Lonergan has had a poor year IMO and really hit the wall late in the season.

Bit of revisionism there surely CM, agree with the last part but reckon he was one of our best performed and reliable defenders for the first two thirds of the season.

Back