News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredibly short memories from everyone hear. For most of the year everyone was saying he's cooked and is lucky to be in the team still. He's been a great of the club and I've loved watching him but this is the right decision.

Also Enright is so far and away our best performed oldie this year it's not funny. He wouldn't be far off the AA squad of 40.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really not surprised. Have felt he was always going to be gone quite early on in the year but at the same time, this one comes as a real sad ending.
He's been one of the greatest players to ever play for Geelong.

(would be quite fitting if he goes out with a bang, by getting reported in his last game)

Yeah.

He's been a bit erratic this year, and ill-disciplined over the last few; but I thought he had another season in him. I wouldn't promise him games but.....

I dunno. Guess there is more to it. Perhaps the back is stuffed and he just won't admit it?

Yeah.

He's been a bit erratic this year, and ill-disciplined over the last few; but I thought he had another season in him. I wouldn't promise him games but.....

I dunno. Guess there is more to it. Perhaps the back is stuffed and he just won't admit it?
his back was stuffed years ago
but he is a competitive beast
very analytical football brain

Wrote in another thread that he was one of only 3 players this year to average over 20 possessions and 1 goal per game.

I remember when G.Ablett snr retired I thought it was at least one year too early - I have similar feelings with regard to SJ. i seem to recall Ablett being squeezed out by Ayres - I wonder whether similar is happening here with SJ and Scott?

Think this is the right move. Yes he has had a pretty good year compared to the other vets but i think his body is cooked. The end comes fast, 2016 could prove to be a struggle.

Our team is going to be so different next season, i expect a few more to follow, the era is finally coming to an end :(

Think this is the right move. Yes he has had a pretty good year compared to the other vets but i think his body is cooked. The end comes fast, 2016 could prove to be a struggle.

Our team is going to be so different next season, i expect a few more to follow, the era is finally coming to an end :(

Its not coming......its over.

Surely there can't be too many more departures after SJ. That's 7 gone already, and I don't think Cowan and Simpson should be retained (though maybe they will be). That's a lot of space left to fill on the list. Hopefully the club can land some of its targets during the off-season so the drop-off in talent and experience isn't so severe.

Judging by his last several games, though, I'm not sure how we can carry Bartel next year. I think that SJ could at least play a role as a deep forward next year. If Bartel is continued with down back, he'll kill us. Don't see how he could play out next year.

I've found the concerted effort from the media over the last month or so regarding Steve's future pretty disgusting. I have no idea why he seems to have been singled out almost every day somewhere in the media when others have been pretty poor in comparison.

If the report is true, unless he doesn't think he will be able to physically cope with another season, then he's basically been hounded out.

Thanks for the magic Stevie, I hope someone picks you up so we can some more of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back