Bigfooty Yid Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pato holding talks with Spurs over the next 36 hours. Used to be a superstar, not so much now, but still 26, and if Spurs are going to make top 4, they need to take risks like this.

Berahino still somewhat alive, but unlikely. West Brom want too much.

Witsel will be too expensive. Wanyama won't be sold, Koeman is too stubborn.

Spurs need a playmaker more than anything. Passing is too simple and predictable with Bentaleb, Dembele and Dier in the midfield.

Pato holding talks with Spurs over the next 36 hours. Used to be a superstar, not so much now, but still 26, and if Spurs are going to make top 4, they need to take risks like this.
Damiao MK2 this, it won't happen, it seems all social media rumour and there's too many mixed messages from various media outlets, the UK media think it won't happen, while the messages from abroad think it might.

Berahino still somewhat alive, but unlikely. West Brom want too much.

Witsel will be too expensive. Wanyama won't be sold, Koeman is too stubborn.
Berahino is the only one who could happen out of this lot if Levy offers what West Brom want, Witsel is Zenit's crown jewel up there with Hulk, they won't let him go, Southampton hate us over Schneiderlin/Pochettino, can see dealing with them very difficult in the future like what it is with Chelsea/Everton/Newcastle for etc.
Spurs need a playmaker more than anything. Passing is too simple and predictable with Bentaleb, Dembele and Dier in the midfield.
I like your thinking here even though we need another striker as Ade is redundant, we never ever replaced Modric properly, Parker/Sandro were great at their peak and Huddlestone was a solid mover of the ball himself. These guys performed better and were able to dictate the tempo of games better than who we currently have.

Alot of my posting has been negative lately, but I really hate the direction Levy has taken this transfer window, we haven't won a game yet and have dropped 9 points already from 4 winnable games. The transfer policy needs to change and get business done earlier, to give the club the best chance of getting a healthy, settled squad together at the start of the season, where we can get off to a good start and get a head start on other teams/direct rivals. Alas, we are just above the relegation zone.

I will also say

In 2012-13 and 2013-14 we relied on one recognised left back for the whole season, 2 seasons running the club did this with Naughton and Vertonghen filling in at LB when whoever we had out of Assou-Ekotto or Rose were injured/rested

I have a nasty feeling we could only have Dier as our only CDM option and Kane as our only out and out striker. I can see Chadli, Son and N'Jie filling in upfront where they're not used to normally when Kane is out.

Already 25 in the squad, 9 home growns and 3 u21s, as we have 3 u21s we can add to the squad, but we've been left empty handed on deadline day many a time the last couple of seasons (Coentrao, Moutinho, Lisandro Lopez and Damiao for etc). The window shuts at 6pm GMT/3am AEST about 21.5 hours left, no incoming players still, gives me not much confidence.

Last edited:

Lamela to Marseilles blocked, at least until a replacement is found.

Bearing this in mind, 3 signings could be on the horizon.

edit- Off. He's staying.

Last edited:
Lamela potentially used in a Wanyama transfer. Probably a BS story but does make sense now that Elia is no longer there. With less pressure and competition for places he'd do alright for them I reckon. Still think it's a very unlikely deal.

Berahino hinging on Walters signing for WBA. We need to get this done! We can get by with the CMs we have but we can't go into the season with 1 ST and a heap of wingers who can fill in

Does anyone think Son was signed to appease fans, in a similar way to what Arsenal did with say Ozil and Sanchez?

Both teams have/had gaping holes in other areas of the pitch such as at holding mid the main one, but another player who was easily attainable was bought instead?

Just don't think we'll sign anyone tonight and Adebayor will be slowly brought back into the squad again

Does anyone think Son was signed to appease fans, in a similar way to what Arsenal did with say Ozil and Sanchez?

Both teams have/had gaping holes in other areas of the pitch such as at holding mid the main one, but another player who was easily attainable was bought instead?

Just don't think we'll sign anyone tonight and Adebayor will be slowly brought back into the squad again
No. I think he was signed with the view that Lamela would be shipped off. Of all our wingers/AMs (Townsend, Lamela, Chadli, N'Jie, Dembele) he is the most capable of playing up front

We need to get this done! We can get by with the CMs we have but we can't go into the season with 1 ST and a heap of wingers who can fill in
Disagree completely, the CMs we have are our biggest area of weakness. Our ball movement is too slow and predictable, which is the result of playing all three of Dier, Dembele and Bentaleb. Even having two of these players in the starting 11 probably too much.

Heung-Son Min can play as a striker very well, he did so for South Korea in the Asian Cup. I think Chadli has all the right qualities to play as a #9 too.

Disagree completely, the CMs we have are our biggest area of weakness. Our ball movement is too slow and predictable, which is the result of playing all three of Dier, Dembele and Bentaleb. Even having two of these players in the starting 11 probably too much.

Heung-Son Min can play as a striker very well, he did so for South Korea in the Asian Cup. I think Chadli has all the right qualities to play as a #9 too.
Our slow-ness I'd say is from our front 4. None of the front 4 on the weekend (Dembele, Chadli, Mason & Kane) had a great deal of pace at all. None of them are going to go past a man and burst forward. For all their weaknesses it's the reason I think we always look better with one of Townsend or Lamela in the side. Think back to our best two wins of last season and both had Townsend start. We've now increased our options to play with pace by signing N'Jie and Son so hopefully we never have to see such a stagnant front 4 again

Our slow-ness I'd say is from our front 4. None of the front 4 on the weekend (Dembele, Chadli, Mason & Kane) had a great deal of pace at all. None of them are going to go past a man and burst forward. For all their weaknesses it's the reason I think we always look better with one of Townsend or Lamela in the side. Think back to our best two wins of last season and both had Townsend start. We've now increased our options to play with pace by signing N'Jie and Son so hopefully we never have to see such a stagnant front 4 again
I agree having slower types in the front four doesn't help our attack you have to think though who gives them the ball in the first place? Seeing Dier and Mason bomb forward constantly, not move the ball on to the "attackers" enough and waste chances was so annoying on Saturday hence why improving central midfield is a necessity imo, we have no tempo players there and no one who is creative enough on a consistent basis. I have hopes Bentaleb can eventually but he needs help from someone.

Our front four would be improved with a fast option out wide though and would make opposition full backs honest, been saying this all month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

I will also say

In 2012-13 and 2013-14 we relied on one recognised left back for the whole season, 2 seasons running the club did this with Naughton and Vertonghen filling in at LB when whoever we had out of Assou-Ekotto or Rose were injured/rested

I have a nasty feeling we could only have Dier as our only CDM option and Kane as our only out and out striker. I can see Chadli, Son and N'Jie filling in upfront where they're not used to normally when Kane is out.
Flogstradamus

#Levyout

Lennon looks like he'll sign for Everton though, deals being completed at the moment. Yedlin went to Sunderland on loan

Not bothered at all. A lot of Spurs fans seem to forget that top 4 isn't our #1 priority this season; it's building an excellent, young team. We're still clearly ahead of the clubs behind us, and by the time the Northumberland Project finishes development, that gap will grow even bigger, and we'll be much better positioned to consistently compete for a top 4 spot.

I also think supporters are underestimating just how lethal a front three of Son, Kane and Chadli could be.

Levy once again leaves us just short of being a genuine top 4 contender. Surprise surprise! Overall it was a B- window for us, 1 more signing and it really could have been an A or A+ summer. He really is a twat of a football chairmen.

• Doesn't get back from his overseas holiday until 2 weeks into the season
  • We then miss out on targets
  • Our supposed black box guru Mitchell only identifies Berhaino, Kouyate, Wanyama, Witsel, Tiote & Pato is that we are lead to believe? Bollocks this has Levy's grubby hands all over it. How can a bloke who identifies Tadic, Mane & Pelle suddenly only have targets that every blind man and his dog knows about
  • Goes against what the manager wants and organised overseas friendlies
  • Put us in a 2 day cup in Germany just days out from our opening game
Another incompetent summer. It's like a broken record with us while this clown is at the helm. VDV and Parker aside we don't do good business close to deadline day. 2 successes over 20+ windows isn't good enough

Not bothered at all. A lot of Spurs fans seem to forget that top 4 isn't our #1 priority this season; it's building an excellent, young team. We're still clearly ahead of the clubs behind us, and by the time the Northumberland Project finishes development, that gap will grow even bigger, and we'll be much better positioned to consistently compete for a top 4 spot.

I also think supporters are underestimating just how lethal a front three of Son, Kane and Chadli could be.
Could not be any more wrong if you tried.

Why isn't top 4 our priority? United aren't all that, Liverpool were behind us last season & Arsenal signed a GK but still have the same weaknesses as always.

Are we ahead of those behind us? Swansea signed what should have been our #1 target Ayew and have already got points against United and Chelsea. Palace have won at the bridge and signed Cabaye whilst holding onto all their best players. Southampton gave us a big F U with Wanyama and don't have the EL distraction.

Honestly 6th is the best we can now acheive but more realistically I think 7th or 8th is on the cards this season. Poor Poch will bear the brunt of that and be another Levy sacking

Could not be any more wrong if you tried.

Why isn't top 4 our priority? United aren't all that, Liverpool were behind us last season & Arsenal signed a GK but still have the same weaknesses as always.

Are we ahead of those behind us? Swansea signed what should have been our #1 target Ayew and have already got points against United and Chelsea. Palace have won at the bridge and signed Cabaye whilst holding onto all their best players. Southampton gave us a big F U with Wanyama and don't have the EL distraction.

Honestly 6th is the best we can now acheive but more realistically I think 7th or 8th is on the cards this season. Poor Poch will bear the brunt of that and be another Levy sacking
Don't follow the interviews? (or maybe it's the itks)

I clearly remember reading somewhere that this season was the first in a while, where top 4 is not the #1 priority/expectation. Whether or not you agree with that is up for debate, but pretty sure that's the case.

Every season there are always mid-table teams that impress, but it's never sustained. Teams like Swansea and Palace might've brought in some good players, and scored some good early results, but if you look at their teams, there's clearly a gap in quality between us and them. Also, while you're mentioning those above us, we've made more signings than Arsenal/Chelsea, and they were more significant signings too, so if you think our priority should be top 4, you can't be too disappointed with our progress in contrast to our theirs. Man United and Liverpool are ticking time bombs too thanks to their dud coaches.

We finished 5th last year, and have since added Son, Alderweireld, N'Jie, Alli, Trippier and Wimmer while cleaning out a lot of the fodder. If we find ourselves in a mid-table position mid-way through the season, I think Poch will come under pressure.

If we find ourselves in a mid-table position mid-way through the season, I think Poch will come under pressure.
Is it his fault we are at best the 6th best squad without great goal scoring options? Kane has 1 season behind him, Son isn't a massive goalscorer, N'Jie is unproven, Chadli & Eriksen aren't massive goal scorers either. I just can't see how Poch can be expected to do any better than keep us just above the likes of Southampton and Swansea.

Also, while you're mentioning those above us, we've made more signings than Arsenal/Chelsea
We did strengthen the weaknesses we had at CB and RB but somehow botched moving Fazio on. We also sold 3 CMs and got 1 back from loan (a lightweight CM). Sold 1 ST and have frozen out another and signed 0.

Considering we play 4-2-3-1 all the time have a look how out of whack our squad is.
GK: sorted Lloris & Vorm
RB: sorted Triiper, Walker & Yedlin on loan
LB: sorted Rose & Davies
CB: 1 too many Alderweireld, JV, Dier, Wimmer & Fazio

CM: Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Dier, Dembele

AM: Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, N'Jie, Son, Pritchard, Townsend, Alli, Dembele

ST: Kane

We have 5 guys going for 2 spots in the 4-2-3-1 but the two in italics aren't in the best position. 9 guys going for 3 spots behind Kane. And just 1 guy who can play at the top of the 4-2-3-1.

Is it his fault we are at best the 6th best squad without great goal scoring options? Kane has 1 season behind him, Son isn't a massive goalscorer, N'Jie is unproven, Chadli & Eriksen aren't massive goal scorers either. I just can't see how Poch can be expected to do any better than keep us just above the likes of Southampton and Swansea.

We did strengthen the weaknesses we had at CB and RB but somehow botched moving Fazio on. We also sold 3 CMs and got 1 back from loan (a lightweight CM). Sold 1 ST and have frozen out another and signed 0.

Considering we play 4-2-3-1 all the time have a look how out of whack our squad is.
GK: sorted Lloris & Vorm
RB: sorted Triiper, Walker & Yedlin on loan
LB: sorted Rose & Davies
CB: 1 too many Alderweireld, JV, Dier, Wimmer & Fazio

CM: Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Dier, Dembele

AM: Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, N'Jie, Son, Pritchard, Townsend, Alli, Dembele

ST: Kane

We have 5 guys going for 2 spots in the 4-2-3-1 but the two in italics aren't in the best position. 9 guys going for 3 spots behind Kane. And just 1 guy who can play at the top of the 4-2-3-1.
Not sure about the bolded jd, Son has consistently scored 10+ in the Bundesliga, in fact I'm fairly sure I saw a stat that across the last 4 seasons in Germany, Son is highest scoring midfielder; ahead of the likes of Reus. Actually, he might be second to Muller, but still, he's a proven scorer. Additionally, Eriksen has scored 10+ in both seasons here and Chadli got more than 10 in the league last season despite needing compassionate leave halfway through. N'jie also scored 7 in Ligue 1 last season despite starting less than half the games.

I'm really excited by the players we have bought in this window and I like what we did in terms of trimming the squad. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't bring in a proper striker but I don't think it's the end of the world; we played well against Milan in pre-season with a false 9/rotating, fluid front 4 type setup and I can see that getting a run in cup games. At the very least, it will suffice until January. I actually think we have a good enough squad to compete in the three competitions that we're in before Christmas. I imagine our League team to look something like:

Lloris
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Bentaleb/Mason
Son - Eriksen - Chadli
Kane

With our cup side looking like:
Vorm
Trippier - Fazio - Wimmer - Davies
Alli - Bentaleb/Mason
Lamela - Carroll - Pritchard
N'jie

With Dembele (depending on injury), Townsend, Onomah and Winks in the mix as well.

I think we've got good options in defence and midfield, and although we're light up front we'e not completely short of players that can play there. Son, Chadli and N'jie have all played as a 9 before.

Unlike a couple of others in this thread, I think we've played really well so far this season but we're ridiculously unlucky to not have 2, let alone 1 win on the board. It's frustrating when you see the likes of Arsenal and United playing worse than we are, but scraping wins through ******* own goals.

Not sure about the bolded jd, Son has consistently scored 10+ in the Bundesliga, in fact I'm fairly sure I saw a stat that across the last 4 seasons in Germany, Son is highest scoring midfielder; ahead of the likes of Reus. Actually, he might be second to Muller, but still, he's a proven scorer. Additionally, Eriksen has scored 10+ in both seasons here and Chadli got more than 10 in the league last season despite needing compassionate leave halfway through. N'jie also scored 7 in Ligue 1 last season despite starting less than half the games.
By massive I meant we only have one 15+ goal scorer in our squad. Mind you he is only 22 and just did it for the first time last season. The thing with those 10-14 goal scoring mids is they go on dry runs for lengthy periods of time.

Personally I'd be training Chadli solely as a ST this season. Physically he is the best suited to play up there, in fact he is taller and heavier than Kane. His actual midfield play isn't that great anyway and he often goes missing for large parts of the game so we wouldn't be losing out there greatly.

XI to play against top 8 sides (inc. Southampton & Everton)
Lloris
Trippier - Toby - JV - Rose
Dembele/Alli - Dier - Bentaleb
Eriksen - Kane - Son

XI to play against rest of the PL
Lloris
Walker - Toby - JV - Rose
Alli - Bentaleb - Eriksen
Son - Kane - Chadli

XI to play in cups
Vorm
Walker - Dier - Wimmer - Davies
Alli/Onomah - Dembele - Carroll
N'Jie - Chadli - Pritchard

Don't think N'Jie will play a great deal as a #9 this season. I think Poch has to be flexible and give a 4-3-3 more of a go. Get one of the midfield 3 really pushing forward (Dembele/Alli in the first, Eriksen in the second & Alli/Onomah in the third)

Unlike a couple of others in this thread, I think we've played really well so far this season but we're ridiculously unlucky to not have 2, let alone 1 win on the board. It's frustrating when you see the likes of Arsenal and United playing worse than we are, but scraping wins through ******* own goals.
Agree 100%. My pessimistic approach is down to a massive over reliance we now have on Kane. So far we've been pretty good but only managed 3 points definitely should have got a draw out of United, held on against Stoke and beat Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back