Autopsy Jack Redden Requests Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that the only person quoted in all reports so far is Schwab, saying that Redden is "thinking" about leaving, leads me to believe this is largely club instigated. When the Martin rumours surfaced, the club was quick to debunk them. But in this case, it seems its the one spreading them.

I agree with the sentiment that losing Redden now would be far from catastrophic. He used to be one of my favourites, but I've found his form over the last few years to be frustrating (although he's certainly not Robinson Crusoe there!).

But as others have pointed out, the way the media will paint a 100-gamer "wanting out" is cause for concern. Perception is reality...

Said it before, saying it again - draft a local, every pick, irrespective of their position and perceived capacity.

If the thought amongst non-locals (ie, draft day hopefuls) is "I don't wanna go there", then let's take a long term view and simply go local. I don't buy the whole "local blokes aren't as good" rubbish. How do you know unless you give them a crack for a start? Secondly, who cares? WE ARE LAST. If they play with passion and pride and fire, those attributes are pretty much what we lack in EVERY position.

The club needs to stand for local boys or it continues to flounder as a boat with a single oar, going in circles.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand WHY the club DOESN'T do this - surely having local fellas on display, weekly, can only be good for the game up here? Again, after the seasons we have had...who cares where we finish next year? If we win 4 games, we will have improved. If we get flogged, at least we will yet be demonstrating a path of genuine sustainability across season to season.

What do we stand for in the league now? We are a FIFO contract essentially. No wonder we are garbage. This has ALWAYS been the case, and it was recognised that as such we had to pay better dollars to get blokes to stay. No dollars now, so no blokes. Good, piss 'em off.

Go local, yes we'll get beaten, but at least I can see local guys having a crack with guts and passion. And that will do - leave the spin to the newspapers.

As to the club, put some roots down. It's way past time this club in this city was paying it's way and not reliant on AFL dollars - because when you are in someone's pocket, that usually comes with strings. So stop pussyfooting around the question of being an "expansionist team" and simply say..."No, we prioritise local blokes."

As I have stated elsewhere, I would ALSO classify as local for drafting purposes, a geographical area in Fitzroy and surrounds as well. Yes, it has no legality, but who the **** cares? It's a PR thing, mark it on a map, distribute it, talk about it. We have a spiritual bond that needs to be recognised as well. Too much do we seem to initiate as knee jerk reactions, limited vision, 3 year stuff. What's the 10 year goal? 25? 50? Anyone????

The AFL snaffled Riewoldt from us, as we would have had priority on him when we ALSO had a young bloke called Brown running about. This state DOES produce players, but plenty get missed because either the rules get changed (s**t happens) or we just go with the "tried and true drafting of best player in position".

Yep, that's workin' a TREAT.

Last edited:

We really are at a turning point for better or for worse. We finally have a CEO, board and coach on the same page and they are going to work to the blueprint they have laid out. It's going to leave us a bit uncomfortable. Some sacred cows may be slain on the way.

Just have to hope it is a good blueprint.

Well said.

I think there is a conscious and deliberate effort by the club to change as outlined by Matthews recently and we are beginning to see it in action.

The list has to change if the outcomes are going to change. I am not suggesting players like Redden are the scapegoats, more that their contracts have to reflect their performance as a starting point for change. It is possibly the same reason Leuey and Adcock are likely to be moved on. The players are what they are, but their pay has to now reflect it or we go nowhere.

It seems like we're happy to let Reddo go and are shopping him around via the media.

It will be interesting what sort of offers he gets. As much as I like Redden, when I look at him objectively as a player from another club - would I want him at the Lions?

Short answer: probably.

Long answer: how much different is he to the players I have? A good inside workhorse but not compelling. If my list is nearly built for a crack at the flag he would be great as a midfield soldier supporting my stars. If my list is in rebuild, I can probably develop a kid or two to play his role and save myself some dollars.

Personally I hope we keep him and I still think we might.

As said before it's free agency that does this.
Steal from the bottom four clubs to give to the top eight. Reverse Robin Hood.
Players who get stuck in a club down the bottom wake up think I am mid to late 20's, I like to play finals and ask to leave.
The bottom four club gets a pick that they use to train a new player for a top club to pick up and the cycle begins again.
Although the new twist is to ask a year out why still in contract so the club can get more and they can leave earlier.

Sad to see him go although it may not be for money. Its been a crap year

A few notes from today's Courier Mail in Andrew Hamilton's article. Very interesting.
  • Redden's strained relationship with Leppitsch is the reason he wants to leave
  • Leppitsch's manner does not sit well with some players
  • Port Adelaide are interested (his Mrs is good mates with Boak and there has been unofficial discussions)
  • Has told the club he is interested in going to West Coast (surprise surprise)
  • Has told people at the club he doesn't know where he stands
  • He doesn't think Leppitsch rates him
  • There is a glimmer of hope that he will stay has he has said recently that things had improved since a heart to heart between the two recently
  • Swann thinks they can convince him to stay
  • Leppitsch has the full support of Leigh and Swann
  • Concerns that Redden leaving could impact Martin and Zorko and whether they stay
  • Redden feels his football has plateaued under Leppitsch

A few notes from today's Courier Mail in Andrew Hamilton's article. Very interesting.
  • Port Adelaide are interested (his Mrs is good mates with Boak and there has been unofficial discussions)
  • There is a glimmer of hope that he will stay has he has said recently that things had improved since a heart to heart between the two recently
  • Concerns that Redden leaving could impact Martin and Zorko and whether they stay
Very interesting. I still find the whole Leppitsch has a confronting style thing strange. I've met Leppa a number of times back when he was a player doing rounds at junior footy and since he's become the coach and while intense on things that are important he balances that out so well with a friendly demeanour and wicked sense of humour.

Maybe the task in front of him is wearing him down and that balance is dropping away but he's the sort of guy you'd want to be mates with for life.

We all know there are some sooky types in this next generation but can't imagine Leppa being anywhere near as confrontational as Lyon or Rocket or Bucks for example and I certainly never thought Reddo would be one to have an issue with it.

That said maybe the issue here is Leppitsch is trying to build flexible footy players to play within a very thought through structure and he's not at the stage of doing what a Paul Roos does where he assigns very specific roles to each player. redden looked lost on the field this year and groin issues aside maybe it's that he's just not getting the direction he expects or needs to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was worried about the second to last point as well. It could trigger the other two.

I also worry how it impacts on players that might consider coming to Brisbane. These players we desperately need to get out of the bottom 4 before 2018. They see Aish, Leuey and Redden wanting out, Zorko and Stef rumoured to want out and Adcock being mistreated and then shown the door. On top of all the stories about players having issues with Leppa and Rocky. Of course you can't forget the performances on the field and all the other issues.

Unfortunately this has been another *up by our media department albeit in an incredibly tough situation and it will do even more damage after the Jed debacle to a club that really can't afford it.

Very interesting. I still find the whole Leppitsch has a confronting style thing strange. I've met Leppa a number of times back when he was a player doing rounds at junior footy and since he's become the coach and while intense on things that are important he balances that out so well with a friendly demeanour and wicked sense of humour.

Maybe the task in front of him is wearing him down and that balance is dropping away but he's the sort of guy you'd want to be mates with for life.

We all know there are some sooky types in this next generation but can't imagine Leppa being anywhere near as confrontational as Lyon or Rocket or Bucks for example and I certainly never thought Reddo would be one to have an issue with it.

That said maybe the issue here is Leppitsch is trying to build flexible footy players to play within a very thought through structure and he's not at the stage of doing what a Paul Roos does where he assigns very specific roles to each player. redden looked lost on the field this year and groin issues aside maybe it's that he's just not getting the direction he expects or needs to succeed.

If the article is true then I would back Leppitsch over Redden any day of the week. Leppitsch is a great bloke and an absolute legend of the club and based on my very limited knowledge of the bloke I would have full confidence in him. Need to build the right culture and if he still wants to leave after trying to resolve the situation...see ya.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the article is true then I would back Leppitsch over Redden any day of the week. Leppitsch is a great bloke and an absolute legend of the club and based on my very limited knowledge of the bloke I would have full confidence in him. Need to build the right culture and if he still wants to leave after trying to resolve the situation...see ya.
Agreed as well. Not laying blame either way but could see that situation playing out. I can't imagine how the conversation between Rocky and Redden went on this but would love to be a fly on the wall.

We really are at a turning point for better or for worse. We finally have a CEO, board and coach on the same page and they are going to work to the blueprint they have laid out. It's going to leave us a bit uncomfortable. Some sacred cows may be slain on the way.

Leppa made comment 12 months ago that people might be surprised as to who he thought wasn't an "untouchable" (well word to that extent) and that we shouldn't be surprised as to his view of the club and team being very different to what we were used too.

I can't help but think this year with injury and results it simply galvanised their collective resolve to make it happen - NOW.

Unfortunately this has been another ****up by our media department albeit in an incredibly tough situation and it will do even more damage after the Jed debacle to a club that really can't afford it.

How so?

Why does it not worry me that players want to leave? Guess it's because their ability is on a par with their loyalty. No matter if they are young or old it doesn't faze me. We are on the bottom, with no real immediate prospects. It always intrigues that a bunch of dispirit souls in what could be termed the arse end of football won 3 (we were robbed of the 4th) cups. They were a melting pot, but the one thing they had was they were basically all the same age and were content where they were. Keep leaving fella's, the real Lions will replace you.

We have to keep this in house. Control the story before Damo, Hammo and others get onto it. We have to spin it to save face. Even a stupid line like Buckley's getting off the bus comment would help.

Unfortunately this has been another ****up by our media department albeit in an incredibly tough situation and it will do even more damage after the Jed debacle to a club that really can't afford it.

Do you really think so given it was seemingly the club via Schwab that let this out... before the end of the season? Before finals? Before the trade period?

Seems to me that the idea is to let the initial shock of this get burnt out very quickly in the news cycle...

We have to keep this in house. Control the story before Damo, Hammo and others get onto it. We have to spin it to save face. Even a stupid line like Buckley's getting off the bus comment would help.
Peter Schwab released this news. We then released it via the clubs website and social media accounts. You'd be barking up the wrong tree yet again. GET IN THE SEA!!!

Do you really think so given it was seemingly the club via Schwab that let this out... before the end of the season? Before finals? Before the trade period?

Seems to me that the idea is to let the initial shock of this get burnt out very quickly in the news cycle...

The best thing would have been to wait until the trade period, then we could spin it into a win if we traded him.

But a player wanting out before the end of the season is awful news and being contracted it's worst than the Henderson decision.

Either way. It's ugly and further adds to the general consensus that the club is ****ed.

Peter Schwab released this news. We then released it via the clubs website and social media accounts. You'd be barking up the wrong tree yet again. GET IN THE SEA!!!

What you do is not release it. When you do you also spin the story to minimise how poorly it reflects on the club.

We are supposed to be a team heading in the right direction but we have multiple footballers wanting out. It looks very ugly.

Once again you counter an argument without providing one of your own.

The best thing would have been to wait until the trade period, then we could spin it into a win if we traded him.

But a player wanting out before the end of the season is awful news and being contracted it's worst than the Henderson decision.

Either way. It's ugly and further adds to the general consensus that the club is stuffed.

Our club leaks like a sieve ATM. If we didn't announce it and control the story a bit ourselves, Damo would have instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back