Turnball introduces Bill Amendment so FTA TV can broadcast the GF in HD.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It seems FTA TV stations can't broadcast in HD on their primary channels, it's the law. I never knew this, so thank God Turnball is doing something right for a change.

http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/media/second-reading-broadcasting-legislation-amendment-bill-2015

The Broadcasting Legislation Amendment (Primary Television Broadcasting Service) Bill 2015 provides the national and commercial free-to-air broadcasters with the flexibility to deliver programming on their primary television services in either standard definition or high-definition formats. Broadcasters' primary television services include ABC1, SBS ONE, 7, Prime7, Nine, WIN, Ten and Southern Cross. These services are subject to particular obligations regarding Australian content, captioning and antisiphoning. At present, free-to-air broadcasters are required to provide their primary television service in standard definition.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cool, hopefully thats the only fta game in HD though.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
How many $s would that have cost the AFL in the footy rights ... Channel 7 are not stupid unlike many of the posters on this subject.

Do you know what simulcasting means?

I remember reading a report that the programming on 7mate had a national average audience during the grand final last year of less than 10,000. And most of them probably would have been people looking for the HD broadcast of the grand final.

Yeah, big $$$$ at stake for 7 there.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Do you know what simulcasting means?

I remember reading a report that the programming on 7mate had a national average audience during the grand final last year of less than 10,000. And most of them probably would have been people looking for the HD broadcast of the grand final.

Yeah, big $$$$ at stake for 7 there.

7 obviously know about simulcasting Rob. Why would they not be as aware as you are, you are?

7 obviously know about simulcasting Rob. Why would they not be as aware as you are, you are?
Of cause they do but they would have lost nothing much $$$$ wise for doing it for the GF and won themselves plenty of goodwill for that. The problem would have been people then realise the set up has been ratshit for 25 weeks and previous seasons and will be for the next year.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Of cause they do but they would have lost nothing much $$$$ wise for doing it for the GF and won themselves plenty of goodwill for that. The problem would have been people then realise the set up has been ratshit for 25 weeks and previous seasons and will be for the next year.

I'd suggest it runs a bit deeper than that, imagine offering advertisers time on both channels at no extra cost.

I'd suggest it runs a bit deeper than that, imagine offering advertisers time on both channels at no extra cost.
One Saturday afternoon for 4 hours is bugger all lost revenue by simulcasting it. how many people do you reckon will be watching 7mate when the GF is on in Melbourne + Adelaide + Perth?? 50,000 in total? There is probably $200k lost. The whole season is another thing.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
One Saturday afternoon for 4 hours is bugger all lost revenue by simulcasting it. how many people do you reckon will be watching 7mate when the GF is on in Melbourne + Adelaide + Perth?? 50,000 in total? There is probably $200k lost. The whole season is another thing.

Guess I dont buy 7 is just being pigheaded. Given Kerry Stokes did a stretch on the Committee at Subi I do look kindly at whatever he does.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I reckon simulcasting would be a boon for channel 7/7mate
they could keep mentioning it on the telecast (switch over to 7mate on 73 to see this telecast in HD)
those who want to will, those who wont, or cant, will stay on 7.
the ratings may come back as a surprise - maybe out of the few million who watch it, who knows, be split evenly across 7 and 7mate?
and if not, if 90% stay with 7, so what?
if 90% move to HD, so what?

splitting the ratings? as if that's going to matter - the collective figure for the GF will be the headline rating figure quoted.
and for the businesses who have paid for their ad on tv during the GF, it will be shown on both channels at the same time (I presume the simulcast must be the program itself plus the ads?). so people will still see the ads.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I like Fox Footy's ads taking the piss out of 7 for not showing all the finals in HD whereas Fox will be showing them live in HD in September. They cleverly dont point out that the GF is in October and that wont be live on Fox. So cant get them under false and misleading advertising.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I like Fox Footy's ads taking the piss out of 7 for not showing all the finals in HD whereas Fox will be showing them live in HD in September. They cleverly dont point out that the GF is in October and that wont be live on Fox. So cant get them under false and misleading advertising.
Yeh great ad.

So this weeks games are the last to have fox coverage, in terms of host broadcaster, with all finals being 7 games, with 7 commentators and 7 broadcast graphics etc?

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So we are two weeks away from the big Grand Final. Are we any closer to a simulcast for this year's game? Seven need to think about their fans long term and bite the bullet by putting it on 7Mate as well as 7. Nothing stopping them doing it, as all of their games are now natively shot in HD.

Here is a petition I found. It almost has 10,000 supporters so far:
https://www.change.org/p/lewis-mart...ourne-ceo-broadcast-afl-in-high-definition-tv

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1