News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield better win us games off his own boot. About 6 or 7 times in the season. We are throwing out multiple premiership veterans for him.

We can't keep them forever.

It is a bold move, remembering we only see game day play and measure the stats, not who does what at training, it how many injections it takes someone to take the field.

I'm happy that the club is trying to move on. What would we get out of these guys, if they played on? If it's 6-10 good games, and 4-5 bad ones and injured the rest, should we look to youth?

I agree SJ probably could go another year, parked in the forward line. However, if he's asking for two years, we simply can't give him that.

Likewise, for Enright if he plays on, Mackie and Jimmy, would need to be on heavily reduced contracts for next year.

Right back at ya pal

We'll have to agree to disagree then.
Perhaps an independent opinion might help.

2015 Season
1 Haw Had it 20 times in first half then faded as his condition gave out. Tried hard. 6
2 Frem Only 11 effective disposals, two inside-50s and no goals. 3
3 GCS Played forward all day but struggled. Fancy stuff blew up in his face. 3
4 NM Sub. Played role well in final 40 minutes. Two goals and gave added some life. 3
5 Rich Mixed good and bad. Four inside-50s and a goal but still short of best. 5
6 Coll Huge final term helped Cats keep Pies at bay. One goal, six inside-50s. 6
7 Syd Smith was on his wheel most of the night but got away enough to be a factor. 6
8 Carl Quiet for three quarters then had 11 disposals in final term. One goal. 6
9 WCE Effectiveness down at times. Four inside-50s and one clearance. 5
10 Ess Four goals from 10 kicks. Made most of opportunities. 7
11 Port Chimed in for a goal and nine effective disposals playing mostly forward. 5
12 Melb Two goals and a couple of assists. Only 10 effective disposals, two inside-50s. 5
15 NM Two goals and six inside-50s in an even effort without setting world on fire. 6
16 WB Decision-making a tad askew in first half then got better. Four goal assists. 6
17 GWS Efficiency down but five inside-50s and nine contested possessions. 5
18 Bris Played the percentages and rewarded with three goals. Ball use first class. 7
19 Suspended.
20 Haw Enjoyed huge second term (12 disposals) in 250th and ended with two goals. 6
21 StK Frustrated and excited all night. Missed a sitter then kicked a ripper. Four goals. 7
22 Coll Came up the ground to get a kick. One goal but only two inside-50s. 6

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/10333/Steve-JOHNSON

I don't know whether it's the right or wrong decision to get rid of him, but he's clearly had a good season.
To me it seems to be risky, in throwing all our eggs in the one basket of Menzel.
This approach blew up in our faces with Chapman - Burbury/McCarthy, and with Podsiadly - Vardy, when the only potential replacements (in the club's eyes, anyway, seeing as they ignored Walker/Brown) failed or got injured.
However, we clearly have to move out all the older players at some stage, and who is the most expendable, or what the right order is, may well depend upon who the MC is looking to recruit next year, or who they think will improve enough to fill the gap, information not available to any of us.

We can't keep them forever.

It is a bold move, remembering we only see game day play and measure the stats, not who does what at training, it how many injections it takes someone to take the field.

I'm happy that the club is trying to move on. What would we get out of these guys, if they played on? If it's 6-10 good games, and 4-5 bad ones and injured the rest, should we look to youth?

I agree SJ probably could go another year, parked in the forward line. However, if he's asking for two years, we simply can't give him that.

Likewise, for Enright if he plays on, Mackie and Jimmy, would need to be on heavily reduced contracts for next year.

It's not just getting rid of them. It's the money we will be paying. I'm trying to think of a high paid star player coming to a club in the past decade that has worked for the club? Espesh a mid. You got any?

It's not just getting rid of them. It's the money we will be paying. I'm trying to think of a high paid star player coming to a club in the past decade that has worked for the club? Espesh a mid. You got any?

No, perhaps Murphy, that didn't work out though.

But wouldn't be on the coin that Danger would be on. Alas, he isn't here yet.

I do agree though, that we needed to transition quicker. If we held onto Enright and SJ this year, it would mean another large turnover next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really nervous about this decision. I have a feeling this could bite us. Better be damn sure Danger and Motlop are dipping the pen in ink right now or else this could be a disaster.

It would bite any which way you put it. Keep them for another year, means large turnover again next year. Plus we have a number of players on injury list, that decisions will need to be made upon.

You can't keep 32-34 year olds on the list with a big injury list as well. Something had to give.

No, perhaps Murphy, that didn't work out though.

But wouldn't be on the coin that Danger would be on. Alas, he isn't here yet.

I do agree though, that we needed to transition quicker. If we held onto Enright and SJ this year, it would mean another large turnover next year.
Not really. Enright and SJ would surely have less impact on the team next year, so when they go, teamwise, there is less adjustment. Perhaps we could not afford to do that had there been no cleaning out over the past 3 years, but there has been a lot already.

Yes. It took Stevie half the year to get going. How long next year if he stayed on? Its not just this year's form that the decision is based on, it's on the state of his body.

The fact he didn't run at all from August to March had nothing to do with that. You do remember him missing the finals and preseason with the stress fracture

The determination to scapegoat him has been as inexplicable as it has been disgraceful. When analysing his future, media types have shown a stubborn, studied refusal to take the actual football he has produced this year in to consideration when weighing up the veracity of the "Johnson is cooked" narrative. His stats have been terrific, he's been a reliable contributor against all opposition, and apart from maybe Corey Enright, he's been the best-performed of our veterans, but for some reason none of this is deemed relevant to the conversation. I'm baffled as to why that is the case.

These clowns talk about him as being required to retreat, then in the same breath happily bleat out that he is the only player who has averaged 20 and 1 this season. Is this a deliberate hypocrisy? It's not reporting, it's sensationalism.

Its how you have a conversation.

Don't take everything so literally. Have you (or anyone) heard anything more of the rumours floating around re Clark's future. Don't tell me you haven't read some speculation about him on these boards recently.
I saw him floating around Geelong on the weekend. Hopefully that's a positive sign.

Johnson is a victim of the modern game as much as anything. Defence (and structure) is valued over attack and kicking goals.

Presumably it was a choice between Bartel and Johnson for the last spot and they opted for Bartel.

I think it is unfortunate but I am prepared to give Scott the chance to build his own team and play the way he wants to play. I think he believes the older players were not able to play in his system.

There will be a lot more pressure on Scott and his coaching panel next year.

Well played Stevie, you were maddeningly frustrating, but often brilliant, and one of the most talented players with the ball in his hand the game has ever seen.
nothing more meglomanic than a coach who wants to dump existings players because they arent his so he can build a team himself to claim his own legacy.

I'm not angry or upset about this. I just don't understand it. Six spots free already. Simpson and Cowan looking doubtful. Where is the need to push him out? Pay him peanuts and play him in the VFL if that's the way things go in 2016.

Wrong decision, I think. He's not the player he was but as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread was statistically one of the better forwards in the competition this season. Hard to see who he would be keeping out of the side, and we're desperately short of attacking options. It might also be concern over his fitness, but there'd be something particularly perverse in the current administration retiring a player because they're concerned about his durability.

Very sad to see him go but I tend to agree with those that think it's the right move.

His form early this year wasn't great, granted he's been pretty good in the back half but you feel like next year might be one too many for his body. As much as there is still risk there, the re-emergence of Menzel to play that role probably eases the decision, was hailed pretty early on as 'the next SJ', hopefully he can fulfill that.

One of the Geelong all-time greats, could turn the game on a dime. Could be frustrating but oh boy wowee could he play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back