List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway you look at it, I really feel we need to get that extra pick between picks 17-25 like we have in the previous 2 years.

Say we keep pick 6 with eyes for either Mathieson or Curnow, as bird_man suggested earlier, would anyone be interested in Seb Ross?

I can think of a suitor that may be keen... With Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne all getting on in age, Ross would be an adequate addition to the Hawks midfield with his big body & they have good outside coverage providing speed so Ross' lack of pace wouldn't be as much of an issue as it appears to be with us.

Pick 24 + Seb Ross for Pick 16 + Pick 34

Hit the draft with:
Pick 6
Pick 16
Pick 34
Pick 42
He also has ties to Essendon.

There a few teams near the top 4 with a lack of inside midfielders.
Richmond came knocking for Armitage and even looked at Trengove. North have given away Greenwood and really seem to be missing some stronger bodies in the middle - considering the Dal Santo trade we probably still have some good blood with them. Even The Queensland clubs are looking for player with good charter and I would expect would be keen. Considering they also will have 2 early 2nd round picks (assuming Leuenberger compensation) there is an opurtunity there to trade up too.
Ross is old enough to come in and make an immediate impact. Not all first round drafts picks can do this or at least not as much as Ross would provide. Ross is also young enough so that there wont be an argument that the club is 'selling its future'.

I don't think it is likely, but if the club is looking at getting more early picks this year it makes sense.

EDIT: I don't know if it needs to be stated but I'm not suggesting Ross is enough to get us those picks alone. I would fully suggest that picks would be involved - heavily in the Queensland scenario where our second and later picks will be more valuable as they provide points.

Last edited:
Given what Brian said about his attributes the other day and also reading up on what Knightmare and Skippos have to say about his game, I'm not really understanding why Ryan Clarke isn't being spoken up much more, especially off the back of back-to-back 40+ possession games (one with 3 goals as well!)? Sounds like the exact type that we ought to be all over.

Have settled on a better comparison for him - poor man's Jack Steven.

Knock on him is kicking. He really struggles by foot at times. Also while he accumulates, lacks a dominant edge. But players have got by without that.

Exactly... Let's put it in perspective: he's asking for $50-100k less than what Nick Dal Santo gets paid at the Roos... Or Half of what Goddard is on at Essendon....

The kids played 3 games? Rofl

Tell him he's dreamin

someone will pay.

Darcy Tucker at pick 6 is a bloody good pick if it happens, outstanding character, strong, left footer, beautiful skills, reminds me of Luke Hodge but a nicer player to watch. Has the ability to be just as good as him too. I saw a newly released mock draft today, had him way down the order, what a crock of s**t! He is seen industry wise as a 200 game player.

Scharenberg will be a good player, needs an injury free year. Sam Fisher will get another contract of $350k for one year, and he's worth every cent. Talk of him going onto the rookie list is a nonsense, he'd be snapped up by another club in the draft.

Not to gloat but I was laughed off this board when I suggested Lachie Hunter was someone id have in a heartbeat, you can see why now.

Have faith that we will get a Rolls Royce at our first pick, too many people in the AFL community looking for what this years crop can't do instead of what they do well. It's our second pick that is just as important as our first.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I'm on the Darcy Tucker train (I like Parish too but can't see him lasting to our pick). He ticks all the boxes like you've mentioned above....plus I promised people earlier in the year that we'd pick up one of the Darcys so I need to right on this one ;)

Regardless we'll grab a beauty at our first which will be great!

Our second will be intriguing. There are starting to be a number of decent mids that might be available. Alternatively we might trade it for a player directly or do a deal to either move up or move down adding or giving a player.....can't wait to see how it turns out

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I'm on the Darcy Tucker train (I like Parish too but can't see him lasting to our pick). He ticks all the boxes like you've mentioned above....plus I promised people earlier in the year that we'd pick up one of the Darcys so I need to right on this one ;)

Regardless we'll grab a beauty at our first which will be great!

Our second will be intriguing. There are starting to be a number of decent mids that might be available. Alternatively we might trade it for a player directly or do a deal to either move up or move down adding or giving a player.....can't wait to see how it turns out
Welcome aboard friend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on this one? From the AFL website journo's on who they think we might pick up.

Assessment: After investing in elite tall talent last year, the Saints are set on bolstering their midfield depth with their premium picks. The list is stocked with inside ball-winners, so list manager Tony Elshaug will primarily be monitoring classy ball-users with the club's first two picks. In key positions the Saints would be more inclined to select tall defenders to join Hugh Goddard with later selections. The club has previously indicated it wouldn't entertain experienced free agents until 2016, but pro-scout Wayne Hughes has been monitoring all AFL lists this season in preparation for the trade period. If an opportunity arose to lure a premium young talent to the club, the Saints would have the salary cap space to pounce given they have underpaid their list for two straight seasons. GWS midfielder Josh Kelly is an example of a young talent the Saints would trade for if a deal could be struck. – Nathan Schmook

First selection: Pick 5-6

Cal Twomey says: Pick six is an interesting spot in this year's draft given the first five or so names appear standouts and the next batch is pretty even. The Saints have spoken about getting a tall midfielder in, but everyone wants one of them. Could Charlie Curnow become that in time? They could go for another tall forward in Sam Weideman after picking Paddy McCartin last year, while small forward Callum Ah Chee's skill and class would appeal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-02/your-clubs-draft-needs

Assuming he passes a medical, what would everyone seriously offer both Collingwood and the player if trading for Scharenberg? IMO he would probably attract a late first and I'd be comfortable (considering our cap position) to offer the asking $350-400k a year, especially with caps going up. With Chips/Shinners retiring soon, there would be no better replacement out there out of contract for our future. Remember 'berg was the player who has the 'none better since Carey' comparisons and he dominated his junior years. From memory he was also in our calculations for pick 3 before the extent of his injury came to light.

He and Aish (together with Luke) dominated for SA together and I'd love to get all three together for us.

Assuming Redden attracts a pick around 17, how does pick 6 for Aish and 17 (on traded for Scharenberg) sound?

Put it this way, two top 10 pick in the 2013 super draft, or Darcy Tucker - who I do like, but this sort of elite young quality isnt available every year!

Assuming he passes a medical, what would everyone seriously offer both Collingwood and the player if trading for Scharenberg? IMO he would probably attract a late first and I'd be comfortable (considering our cap position) to offer the asking $350-400k a year, especially with caps going up. With Chips/Shinners retiring soon, there would be no better replacement out there out of contract for our future. Remember 'berg was the player who has the 'none better since Carey' comparisons and he dominated his junior years. From memory he was also in our calculations for pick 3 before the extent of his injury came to light.

He and Aish (together with Luke) dominated for SA together and I'd love to get all three together for us.

Assuming Redden attracts a pick around 17, how does pick 6 for Aish and 17 (on traded for Scharenberg) sound?

Put it this way, two top 10 pick in the 2013 super draft, or Darcy Tucker - who I do like, but this sort of elite young quality isnt available every year!
In view of our TPP position, I'd offer Scharenberg whatever he wants money wise & get him to nominate us.

I'd then offer our 2nd pick & give them a deadline (like they did to the Lions in the Beams deal last year). If they miss the deadline it goes to a 3rd round pick.

When they baulk at that we'll take him in the PSD thanks to a massively front ended deal.

Scharenberg is exactly what we're looking for in the post BJ/Chips/Shinner era.

No thanks. Have a look at the Motlop goal v Collingwood and look at Scharenbergs effort and intensity.

Thoughts on this one? From the AFL website journo's on who they think we might pick up.

Assessment: After investing in elite tall talent last year, the Saints are set on bolstering their midfield depth with their premium picks. The list is stocked with inside ball-winners, so list manager Tony Elshaug will primarily be monitoring classy ball-users with the club's first two picks. In key positions the Saints would be more inclined to select tall defenders to join Hugh Goddard with later selections. The club has previously indicated it wouldn't entertain experienced free agents until 2016, but pro-scout Wayne Hughes has been monitoring all AFL lists this season in preparation for the trade period. If an opportunity arose to lure a premium young talent to the club, the Saints would have the salary cap space to pounce given they have underpaid their list for two straight seasons. GWS midfielder Josh Kelly is an example of a young talent the Saints would trade for if a deal could be struck. – Nathan Schmook

First selection: Pick 5-6

Cal Twomey says: Pick six is an interesting spot in this year's draft given the first five or so names appear standouts and the next batch is pretty even. The Saints have spoken about getting a tall midfielder in, but everyone wants one of them. Could Charlie Curnow become that in time? They could go for another tall forward in Sam Weideman after picking Paddy McCartin last year, while small forward Callum Ah Chee's skill and class would appeal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-02/your-clubs-draft-needs

Not sure we'd be interested in Weideman or Ah Chee and he doesn't even mentioned Tucker or Matheison who are rated highly and would suit our needs more?

He does mention Josh Kelly though, that's the second afl.com article to mention him as someone we'd be looking at.

Not sure we'd be interested in Weideman or Ah Chee and he doesn't even mentioned Tucker or Matheison who are rated highly and would suit our needs more?

He does mention Josh Kelly though, that's the second afl.com article to mention him as someone we'd be looking at.

Ah Chee is the type we need. He's quick and skilful. However I do prefer Tucker he's lower risk and accumulates more of the ball.

Re Kelly, are these journo's reading bigfooty???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back