Remove this Banner Ad

Toastman

All Australian
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
St. Louis Blues, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Since this year will be the 30th of the modern drafts I was thinking about what was the least talented draft crop ever.
I'd suggest that the 2003 draft is the worst of the uncompromised drafts that I can remember but I wonder were there worse ones?

This one:

carlton_draught_stubbies.jpg

Absolute rubbish.

Since this year will be the 30th of the modern drafts I was thinking about what was the least talented draft crop ever.
I'd suggest that the 2003 draft is the worst of the uncompromised drafts that I can remember but I wonder were there worse ones?
I reckon this is the 15th year of the 'modern' draft. Before around 2000 clubs just didn't take it seriously enough

2012 isn't much but it was heavily impacted by GWS.

Hogan, Stringer, Macrae and Wines already look good enough to pull it above a lot of drafts.

And which GWS players bring the quality down? Cognilio, Smith, Adams, Tyson, Green, Patton even with his two knee recos, Tomlinson....

Just cause we got a lot of them, doesn't mean the quality in the draft wasn't there. Isn't that what all the complaints are about - too much quality.

You certainly can't put 2012 into any kind of "worst draft ever" thread and be taken seriously.

And which GWS players bring the quality down? Cognilio, Smith, Adams, Tyson, Green, Patton even with his two knee recos, Tomlinson....

Just cause we got a lot of them, doesn't mean the quality in the draft wasn't there. Isn't that what all the complaints are about - too much quality.

You certainly can't put 2012 into any kind of "worst draft ever" thread and be taken seriously.

Yeah no one cares mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too early to call, but last year's draft is looking very ordinary.

Petrecca excused through injury, last year's top 10 haven't set the world on fire, aside from Brayshaw who is silk (De Goey is definitely overhyped)

The 2013 draft is definitely shaping up as perhaps the greatest ND since 1993, so much class and quantity in that group.

Too early to call, but last year's draft is looking very ordinary.

Petrecca excused through injury, last year's top 10 haven't set the world on fire, aside from Brayshaw who is silk (De Goey is definitely overhyped)

The 2013 draft is definitely shaping up as perhaps the greatest ND since 1993, so much class and quantity in that group.

The crop the Bulldogs got are looking good prospects so far, Webb, McLean and Caleb Daniels, have all got games for us this year and slotted in well.

The crop the Bulldogs got are looking good prospects so far, Webb, McLean and Caleb Daniels, have all got games for us this year and slotted in well.

Happy with Lonie, Sinclair and loving Goddard.

Paddy while being a work in progress shows very natural forward smarts and ability. When his body catches up to his brain watch out

Hogan, Stringer, Macrae and Wines already look good enough to pull it above a lot of drafts.

Not sure if we can count him in that draft though. He was in the mini-draft.

I thought the original comment might've been referring to players taken out of the draft (pre-selection or mini-drafts).

Either way the GWS players you've mentioned are from the 2011 draft, not 2012 where you got Whitfield, Plowman, O'Rourke, Jaksch and Corr in the first round.

Seems like we won the 2009 draft - we traded draft picks (and Mark Williams) for Burgoyne and Gibson and with the late picks we had left picked Stratton and Duryea

Swans did alright too

But looks slim pickings for everyone else

Outside of Martin, Talia and Fyfe, that top 20 is very underwhelming.

Three players have had injuries which ruined 2+ seasons, though.

It's not a great list but I'll always regard 2009 as a superdraft because we managed to use our first round picks on players that actually end up in the senior side, which is a pleasant change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back