News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

The pick in next year's draft isn't meant to have a greater impact than SJ would next year.

We're not aiming for a one year fix.

Mate, the most important season for the Geelong Football Club and its supporters is next year (as it is for every other club that misses out this year). Just as 2017 will be, if the Cats don't bring home the bacon in 2016. You need to win flags when you have the talent on your list, not say "well if we can get this kid and that kid we'll be back in contention in 3 to 5 years time", because in 3 to 5 years time all sorts of changes can have happened in the competition, such as the eventual true arrival of the GC and GWS.

Despite the club having its worst finish since 2006, the nucleus is there. Stevie J might just be the icing that the cake needs if the Cats have a better injury run, pick up Dangerfield in particular - just imagine how much pressure that would take off Joel Selwood having another of his ilk in the 22 - and make it back into the finals next year. Pick 65 or thereabouts won't be capable of the sort of impact that Stevie can have in a finals game.

The Cats don't have to give up their early picks, apart from maybe to get Dangerfield and if they are really keen, one or both of Henderson and Scott Selwood. They can still get some young talent if they retain some earlier picks by being smart in their dealings with Adelaide, Carlton and West Coast.

In my view, adopting a complete youth policy in recruiting is now not as important as it might have been a few years back, because of the free agency rules and the increasing number of players coming through from rookie lists. Rebuilding a list nowadays can be achieved through some astute work around draft time. For that matter how many clubs have actually rebuilt and won flags through a purely youth policy?

North have got an aging list and in my view will struggle to get much above where we finish this year and so yet again a club has failed through a re-build starting from when Brad Scott became coach. Interestingly Nick Dal Santo, Sean Higgins, the much maligned Jarrad Waite and Robbie Nahas have been very valuable contributors at North this year. It has not been those four who have performed below expectations; rather it has been some of our younger boys recruited through recent drafts. People here will probably deride me for saying this but if we could have had Stevie J on our list this year, albeit with his early season lower than usual impact, I reckon we would be higher in the pecking order than we are.

He's a champion, as if I have to tell you that. Those players do not "grow on apple trees". Retiring champions before their time, in my view is madness. Anyway, I better stop now; I've probably intruded too much.

Very sad to see him go but I tend to agree with those that think it's the right move.

His form early this year wasn't great, granted he's been pretty good in the back half but you feel like next year might be one too many for his body. As much as there is still risk there, the re-emergence of Menzel to play that role probably eases the decision, was hailed pretty early on as 'the next SJ', hopefully he can fulfill that.

One of the Geelong all-time greats, could turn the game on a dime. Could be frustrating but oh boy wowee could he play!
I don't think the club will have any reliance on Menzel at the forefront of their mind when considering the retirement of the oldies.

Not sure what to think of this. On one hand he is past his best and seems to be getting more undisciplined every year but on the other he has actually played some pretty good football in the back half of the year and is defiantly in our best 22.

He will probably go to another club like Richmond and make us regret the decision though, he will have a bigger drive to prove the club wrong and wind back the clock a bit.

scott saw what happened at Brisbane when all their premiership stars went at once and he is certainly conscious of not letting that happen here. the list needs constant regeneration. its a shame in hindsight that GWS didnt make that offer a couple of days earlier in the trade period last year....two first rounders...geez that would have been nice.

Mate, the most important season for the Geelong Football Club and its supporters is next year (as it is for every other club that misses out this year). Just as 2017 will be, if the Cats don't bring home the bacon in 2016. You need to win flags when you have the talent on your list, not say "well if we can get this kid and that kid we'll be back in contention in 3 to 5 years time", because in 3 to 5 years time all sorts of changes can have happened in the competition, such as the eventual true arrival of the GC and GWS.

Despite the club having its worst finish since 2006, the nucleus is there. Stevie J might just be the icing that the cake needs if the Cats have a better injury run, pick up Dangerfield in particular - just imagine how much pressure that would take off Joel Selwood having another of his ilk in the 22 - and make it back into the finals next year. Pick 65 or thereabouts won't be capable of the sort of impact that Stevie can have in a finals game.

The Cats don't have to give up their early picks, apart from maybe to get Dangerfield and if they are really keen, one or both of Henderson and Scott Selwood. They can still get some young talent if they retain some earlier picks by being smart in their dealings with Adelaide, Carlton and West Coast.

In my view, adopting a complete youth policy in recruiting is now not as important as it might have been a few years back, because of the free agency rules and the increasing number of players coming through from rookie lists. Rebuilding a list nowadays can be achieved through some astute work around draft time. For that matter how many clubs have actually rebuilt and won flags through a purely youth policy?

North have got an aging list and in my view will struggle to get much above where we finish this year and so yet again a club has failed through a re-build starting from when Brad Scott became coach. Interestingly Nick Dal Santo, Sean Higgins, the much maligned Jarrad Waite and Robbie Nahas have been very valuable contributors at North this year. It has not been those four who have performed below expectations; rather it has been some of our younger boys recruited through recent drafts. People here will probably deride me for saying this but if we could have had Stevie J on our list this year, albeit with his early season lower than usual impact, I reckon we would be higher in the pecking order than we are.

He's a champion, as if I have to tell you that. Those players do not "grow on apple trees". Retiring champions before their time, in my view is madness. Anyway, I better stop now; I've probably intruded too much.

Keep writing posts like this and you can "intrude" all you like.
Funny that it takes an opposition supporter to sort the wheat from the chaff, and do so in a dispassionate manner as well.

Along with Enright he's been clearly our best performed veteran this year, to even contemplate moving him on (if that's what the MC is doing) defies logic.

scott saw what happened at Brisbane when all their premiership stars went at once and he is certainly conscious of not letting that happen here. the list needs constant regeneration. its a shame in hindsight that GWS didnt make that offer a couple of days earlier in the trade period last year....two first rounders...geez that would have been nice.
Looks like he's letting a stack of them go all at once to me.

Last year we had zero retirees.

That Earth movement was 10,000,000 soldiers that died between 1914-1918 just rolling in their graves
um i dont name wars. it was called the great war for a 100 years. most of europe was taken and the political institutions of the continent were changed permanently. this is very unlike world war 1 where there was only stupid reasons for the war, nothing was achieved except a mass human tragedy of horrific proportions. nothing great about that disaster. anyway this perhaps a slight bit off topic now. what are we talking about again?

Dog Johnson. Stevie J. SJ.

I was 13 when the club recruited Steve Johnson. That perfect age when you start to really follow and understand not just players, but the game itself. It’s what I call my first ‘generation’ of Geelong players as I was a bit too young to fully understand and grasp the ‘top up’ generation of the late 1990s. Therefore, the 2001 group I will always hold close to my heart, not just because it was the core of our glory years, but because they are the group I grew up watching footy to, and learning to fully love, understand and appreciate our great game.

Round 1, 2001. Bartel debuts, as does Gary Ablett and Dave Johnson. I’m excited about Ablett and get caught up in the hype. Fast forward to Round 4. The two young teams – Geelong and Saint Kilda. A young Van_Power is at the Napier Hotel celebrating family members 21st. I am playing on the pin ball machine, but my interest spikes when Geelong slams through its 8th goal of the second quarter. Lord and Riccardi kick 11 between them. We play pretty well vs Fremantle the next week too. Round 6. Brisbane vs Geelong - Stevie debuts. Four weeks later, he kicks four goals against Collingwood. I distinctly remember as 2002 unfolded I decided he and Bartel would be my favoured young players. Ablett was Ablett, but I just kinda liked the way Bartel and Johnson played.

Whilst so long ago, I remember the first half of 2002 ever so well. The memories of the crowd getting excited whenever Ablett Jnr went near the ball, Bartel seemingly being able to slide straight into the side. But the knobbly knees of Steve Johnson struck a chord with me. I’m not sure why. Our season stuttered at the end and we missed finals, but SJ had won me over. A slow start in 2003 ended in a flourish, with six goals against Brisbane. Again in 2004 he didn’t play till the second half of the season, but looked ever so smart. Ever so dangerous. He kicked almost two per game. 2005 - again, he only played about a dozen games. I thought he could be something special, but just as many were getting frustrated with some of his antics.

In the fateful year of 2006 he kicked two goals per game. I thought I’d seen all the Stevie J show would ever offer. A magician but couldn't quite put it all together. I loved him. I hated him. He promised a lot and delivered at times but there was a growing unease about him as a player, and his professionalism. Bigfooty really opened my eyes to that, I had no idea until I joined the forum.

The club did the right thing at the start of 2007. What I never expected, or had privilege to know, was the work he was doing behind the scenes in that early part of 2007. I was at his return game in 2007 vs Richmond, mainly just because I wanted to see his first game back. It was then I realised I was going to games to see Steve Johnson play. I believe a more mature, focused Steve Johnson hit the turf that night. I saw more freakish side steps and more look-away handballs than I had ever seen over 2007, but unlike previous years, more seemed to be coming off. He had that ball on a string at times.

108 games and 255 goals are Steve Johnsons stats from 2007 to 2011. I wonder how many goal assists he had in this period? Just phenomenal.

That spark and ex-factor was something to behold. He has been a fantastic player for Geelong, and I wish him all the best. His ability to confuse his opponents (and fans and teammates alike!) was second-to-none.

Countless times my jaw has dropped as I saw the magician at work. Countless times have I shaken my head, but then realised what he was trying to do and thought ‘fair enough.’ Countless times have I either a)facepalmed or b) slapped my knee and yelled ‘Bloody Hell Steve Johnson, what are you thinking?’

Sometimes I honestly have no idea what he was thinking. But he did. Its that fine line between success and failure that he has been able to push, exceed or bend where 99% of other players cannot.

I’ll miss it a hell of a lot. I think he can play on in 2016, I really do. I disliked Paul Chapman playing in another Guernsey, but I accepted it. I am not sure if I will be able to do the same with Stevie J. I really hope there will no bad feelings between the club and he if comes out he was pushed. I'd rather he be on the list, than not on it.

I can't pin the tickets to the Stevie J show on my wall, but at least I know I attended it and kept going back for more. I'm glad I will be there on Saturday to see the curtain fall on a decorated career.

My criticism of north would be that they only half committed to rebuilding, they didnt finish the job. You've built a bit of a nucleus of a side but then tried to hurry up the job by bringing in the older guys you mentioned. They have all performed but its a road to nowhere and a missed opportunity meaning that I now dont think you will have success with this group anytime soon.

Things would be a lot more promising if right now north, with your midfield around Goldstein, had a few more quality youngsters coming through which could have happened if you attacked draft picks rather than topped up with older guys. I'd be thinking that with cunnington and the likes hitting their straps you would be looking great over the next few years.

I was critical at the time when north started adding the older brigade, i felt you were on the verge and then abandoned the process for shorter term improvement.

I agree rebuilding isnt what it use to be but its still all a balance and careful management. Older players do bring talent experience etc on gameday but they do also hinder other player development. You need some older players but not all. Johnson does still have ability but its not just what he does on gameday that matters. Its a broader issue than that and geelong removing a few of these players is careful management and a crucial step in moving towards ongoing success. We moved older guys on in 2011 and backed some kids and its what we needed. I agree it cant be all club champions but unfortunately it needs to be some and johnnos indescretions mean its him rather than bartel because bartel sets a better example for those coming in. Ill back our process on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is true, then I reckon there is a good chance Boris is staying for another year.
Would rather Johnson than Bartel or Enright.

In hindsight we should have made an oldie or two retire last year but the problem is they were all playing good football, and the majority were contracted for 2015.

This is not an issue isolated to us. By the end of next season Fremantle will have 10 guys aged 30+, Hawthorn will have 7 and Sydney will have 6.

How do any of those clubs justify pushing veterans out the door at the end of this season when all will believe they can win the premiership in 2016?

I too would keep Johnson over Enright.

Bartel I'm confident still has good football left in him, so long as he's not played in the backline where his weaknesses aren't so glaring.

I don't understand the Bartel hate on this board at the moment.
I'd keep both Bartel and SJ. Lumping 7 players leaving the club is a 20% turnover, but its the extent of the experience of 6 of those players which will hurt. I'd stagger it a bit more, and honestly do not see Bartel and SJ staying on as hindering the club in the future.

Hmm interesting.
Talking to a bloke who says the club didn't want to get rid of him, that this is SJs decision if proven true (he doesn't know).
Wonder if talk of a possible deal elsewhere is true and he wants to pursue it?

We are probably in a better position moving into next year to do it though (depending what happens with certain players at certain clubs).

Plus we have a few younger guys now in the 30+ game bracket that will (or should) be more consistent over the season.

Sorry to see him go (if true) Great player in his pomp but defensively he would have been (was) a liability in today's frenetic end to end game.
Interesting to see if these guys pop up at other clubs.
Like to see him back as part of coaching staff later. Would have much to offer.

We are probably in a better position moving into next year to do it though (depending what happens with certain players at certain clubs).

Plus we have a few younger guys now in the 30+ game bracket that will (or should) be more consistent over the season.
Why? This is not the draft where we will want to be taking four plus picks.
Keeping SJ and Bartel for one more season will not hinder the team in this regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back